Author Topic: "Pawn Stars" best advertisement for AVOIDING pawn shops  (Read 1767 times)

Offline jinxmchue

"Pawn Stars" best advertisement for AVOIDING pawn shops
« on: April 17, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
Anyone else see this show?  What a bunch of crooked creeps!  Especially the crusty old fart.  I swear I saw him leaving a trail of slime behind him.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: "Pawn Stars" best advertisement for AVOIDING pawn shops
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
I hear ya.  I had a couple of Fluke meters I won at work, and since I have my own (and nicer) Fluke, I figured I'd just sell them.  These meters retail for $105 each.  I asked every pawnshop in town for $35-40, and still didn't get any takers.  These were both still brand new, in the box, and they could have gotten at least double what they were offering me.

Screw 'em.  I sold them for $60 each, IIRC.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »
It doesn't help that the old guy looks like he is involved with the Mafia either.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
What gets me is that they tell people outright that they are only going to give them so much on the dollar for an item after an appraiser says it's worth so much at auction. These guys are basically loaning you money. Of course they are going to give you as little as possible!! I'm shocked when people are surprised.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
I don't have cable, but I did see the show a couple of times when I was in the hospital. They weren't so so slimy in my opinion. I even saw one of the screw himself royally when he agreed on a price for an antique bicycle that was embedded in a growing thicket before he dug it out. Turned out to be worthless.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
I don't have cable, but I did see the show a couple of times when I was in the hospital. They weren't so so slimy in my opinion. I even saw one of the screw himself royally when he agreed on a price for an antique bicycle that was embedded in a growing thicket before he dug it out. Turned out to be worthless.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of a different show.

Now that I have the right show, I wonder what that kid who works for them's DU name is.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »
What gets me is that they tell people outright that they are only going to give them so much on the dollar for an item after an appraiser says it's worth so much at auction. These guys are basically loaning you money. Of course they are going to give you as little as possible!! I'm shocked when people are surprised.

An auction will charge a listing fee, an auction fee and then one takes their chance on the auction. By the time it's all said and done, a good 25% of the auction price is lost to the auction house. I like the show. They seem fairly up front to me. After all, they're in the business to make money. If one pays attention to the retail store prices on stuff, a shirt costs a place like Sears $5-6. They turn around and sell that same shirt for $24.99 until it's time to rotate stock. Then one can find it for the $5-6 it actually cost them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:43:08 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:03:05 PM »
Oh no I completely agree! I just think people are silly for thinking they are going to get the full appraised value out of the pawn shop.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
Pawn Stars is one of my favorite shows on TV!  It is awesome.  I am facebook friends with Chumlee (the guy who works there).  I think Cory, the son, is a whole lot of ego but I love the rest of them.  The grandfather reminds me of some of my family.  Just trying as hard to get as much for something as he buys for as little as he can pay.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:30:53 PM »
The grandfather is an old Sailor, probably WWII vintage.

Hell, has anybody ever gone to a garage sale and bargained someone down on the price?? How is that any different?? Garage sale prices are already pretty cheap and yet, I've seen people dicker over $1....... just sayin'.....

The computer speakers I have right now are from a pawn shop. I paid just under half price of the same one's retail value. ($75 @ Walmart, new) They work just fine for me.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »
I enjoy the show very much.  Pawn shops are what they are, they perform a service people want or they wouldn't be in business.  It's the free market at work.  The guys on the show are paragons of integrity compared to most pawn shops, and are extraordinarily up front about what they'll pay and why.

Looking at it from their point of view, why the Hell would you loan anyone (Or pay to buy) what the customer had at more than about half to two-thirds what you thought you could get for it?  You'd be broke in no time if you paid or loaned more than that proportion of its possible auction value -- it's a business, not a charity.

It would be totally nuts to loan more on something in pawn than you would pay for it outright for resale; if word got out that you did that, nobody would sell you anything outright, because they'd realize they could pawn it, forfeit the pawn, and walk away ahead on the deal.  Meanwhile you'd be stuck holding it for the full term to forfeit, which is dictated by law in most states.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.