Author Topic: Ok, slackers..it is Wednesday...  (Read 4645 times)

Offline jtyangel

Ok, slackers..it is Wednesday...
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »
So it is cold out, again. :banghead: And we had some hellacious storms last night. The usual stuff surrounding someone's death has died down(no pun intended) and life returns to normal tomorrow when my other half returns to work. I lost some time on schoolwork so I've been playing a little 'make things as they should have been' today.  I've had a chance now to reflect that the holidays are over for another year, as is college football. The long awaited house projects are but weeks away from getting a contractor in to start giving us some quotes on things. I know we got a couple months ago, but something about turning the corner on December and being nearly midway into January gets me thinking about the spring that is not too far off in the future.

TOTD: Winter is often the least favorite of seasons. What is the one thing that you actually like about this season?

I like being able to have a fire in the fireplace during the winter. It is one thing about the season that I really love is hearing the logs crack and burn and watching it go. It is one thing I do love so much about living up north is the unique variations in seasons and the things that are done to herald their return. I loved Florida, don't get me wrong and Arizona, but some years it did feel like time was just running into itself because nothing changed much.

Offline Lauri

Re: Ok, slackers..it is Wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
i get my husband back today at 3 pm!  :bow: ive missed him and life is no fun here without him..

im a summer girl and love the warmer weather here, but winter is cozy here as well. i love the fireplace going, but ours is gas.. no crackling logs.

it cracked me up growing up in texas .. every house has a fireplace and we almost never got the chance to use them really..

my favorite thing about the season is wearing fluffy socks, sweats and being able to lounge on the couch with the hubby and just *be* there for a while.. if i can fall sleep next to him during an afternoon, that is about the perfect day for me.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »
i get my husband back today at 3 pm!  :bow: ive missed him and life is no fun here without him..

im a summer girl and love the warmer weather here, but winter is cozy here as well. i love the fireplace going, but ours is gas.. no crackling logs.

it cracked me up growing up in texas .. every house has a fireplace and we almost never got the chance to use them really..

my favorite thing about the season is wearing fluffy socks, sweats and being able to lounge on the couch with the hubby and just *be* there for a while.. if i can fall sleep next to him during an afternoon, that is about the perfect day for me.

Enjoy hubbie's return, Lauri. From your description it sounds like you have really missed your quiet time with him. :-*

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »

Enjoy hubbie's return, Lauri. From your description it sounds like you have really missed your quiet time with him. :-*

he is definitely my own personal 64 pack of crayons  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »
^LOL! Mine is missing a few colors and some are broken. But darn it, I sure like playing with 'em.  :rotf:

A thread turned smutty in four posts. Must be a record.  :-)

TOTD: I like the lack of humidity in the winter.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
^LOL! Mine is missing a few colors and some are broken. But darn it, I sure like playing with 'em.  :rotf:

A thread turned smutty in four posts. Must be a record.  :-)

TOTD: I like the lack of humidity in the winter.

And I was not involved :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
This time.  :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
TOTD: Can`t think of one thing about winter I like.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »
Oh come on Carl. There must be something.  :-)

and hi!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »
I bought the ginormous "Family Pack" of potato chips today.  I've got enough Lays and Fritos to last me a month.

That is all. 

TOTD: Everyone's hiding inside, which means the parks and lakes are empty.  More room for me.   :hyper:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »
I bought the ginormous "Family Pack" of potato chips today.  I've got enough Lays and Fritos to last me a month.

That is all. 

TOTD: Everyone's hiding inside, which means the parks and lakes are empty.  More room for me.   :hyper:

Yep! I love that too...late in fall and during a school day, I can take my youngest down to a park we love by the foothills. NOBODY there! Love it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
We have some really good parks with miles of paved blacktop.  I can take my bike and go for a ride without risking getting hit by traffic or having to slow down every five feet to make room for someone's little monsters.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »

and hi!

It leads to spring?

and hi back! :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
Real wood fires?  The gas ones with the ceramic logs aren't the same.

I've saved almost $75 a month on natural gas since I picked up a couple of space heaters.  I couldn't believe how expensive that stuff is.  Honeywell sells oil-filled radiator style space heaters that work great.  I just need a warm bathroom in the morning.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »

and hi!

It leads to spring?

and hi back! :)

There's the spirit :-)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
Real wood fires?  The gas ones with the ceramic logs aren't the same.

I've saved almost $75 a month on natural gas since I picked up a couple of space heaters.  I couldn't believe how expensive that stuff is.  Honeywell sells oil-filled radiator style space heaters that work great.  I just need a warm bathroom in the morning.

I'd love to use space heaters, but I'm a bit wary of them with my boys. I agree on the fireplace thing. Ours is woodburning...I shall have to post a pictures of it with a crackling fire going. We had a gas one with ceramic logs in Arizona. It gave 'atmosphere' but it was not the same as woodburning.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
Last week it was in the high 20's; this week it's in the 70's. I hate winter 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »
We may be getting a coldfront here next week...May reach the low 60's...Brrrrrr  :tongue:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
Last week it was in the high 20's; this week it's in the 70's. I hate winter 

:bawl: JK, lacar...this is always perfect weather to get some wicked cold. We are in the same position here...it was almost 70 yesterday and I think it reached about 45 today and we expecting snow by the weekend. :whatever:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
We may be getting a coldfront here next week...May reach the low 60's...Brrrrrr  :tongue:

I remember living there. *sigh* I have my brothers to torment me still about this.  :-)

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
TOTD:  There are 11 mountain passes between my boss and my office, with most of those passes being over 7 thousand feet...  :tongue:  and it really snows a lot in the mountains in NV in the winter...so I can avoid those warm fuzzy get togethers for teambuilding!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »
Today has been good.  I got a lot accomplished at work and scored a little overtime today.  I managed to reconcile two accounts and tell them to "pay up." 

TOTD: Winter is often the least favorite of seasons. What is the one thing that you actually like about this season?

I like winter, but it really doesn't get too cold down here, I'm sure if I lived further north I'd hate it.  But I like the colder weather, it makes me feel "alive."
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
TOTD:  There are 11 mountain passes between my boss and my office, with most of those passes being over 7 thousand feet...  :tongue:  and it really snows a lot in the mountains in NV in the winter...so I can avoid those warm fuzzy get togethers for teambuilding!

God loves you, I suspect.  :-)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »
Today has been good.  I got a lot accomplished at work and scored a little overtime today.  I managed to reconcile two accounts and tell them to "pay up." 

I like winter, but it really doesn't get too cold down here, I'm sure if I lived further north I'd hate it.  But I like the colder weather, it makes me feel "alive."

I have to tell you I hate the snow...when I have to go out in it, but I feel the same way about days when it is snowing. The air is soo clean and you get the feeling you said of being 'alive'.