Author Topic: Marine’s dad ordered to pay protesters’ court fees  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: Marine’s dad ordered to pay protesters’ court fees
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
As Seabelle said, just saw Bill O'Reilly say on air that he's picking up the whole tab for this family. He's paying the $16,000 for them and will back them all the way to the Supreme Court. That was awesome to hear.

As much I don't like Bill O'Reilly, he did the right thing.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
I went to the 4th Circuit web page, hoping to email my disgust to them. Naturally they have no contact page. It's time to run these PC/ liberal Judges out of the country.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »
We have a silly law up here that makes it a hate crime to utter any words that may tend to cause a violent reaction in others.

This law is being used against some guy that called another man a Sissie.  

To my way of thinking, these really creepy people target small towns knowing that if they are arrested or even told to move on the town could not afford the law suit against them.

These people have come up with a brilliant way to make a fortune, I am sure there is nothing personal about their actions, just business as usual.   Unfortunately I believe they are building up to a very big pay day by pushing the bounds of their rights until they can bring a few small town to their knees with law suits.  

I believe we need to look at these people as having an agenda that ultimately will bring in MONEY.   Living off deep pockets, and law suits to do so.

My neighboring town has a noise ordnance, one can be fined for loud mufflers, radios, a neighbor who's car alarm disturbs the night constantly.

These Phelps who use the bull horns to disrupt a funeral can be gotten around.

Were I in the situation of facing these creeps at the funeral of one of my family, I would make a move to change the time of funeral and interment to Midnight.  

Advantages would be the dark would cover these people, they could be arrested on any noise ordnance because of the late hour.   There are only a hand full of Phelps people---- ,even if Phelps carries torches would be  so few  they could be totally ignored by the family.

To have a Military funeral there would have to be exemptions for the salute and bugler.  People in these town can vote in the exemptions and there is no way Phelps can challenge that.

Far as I know there are no laws that dictate the time of day or night a funeral takes place, so, put on your thinking caps and find a way to make it as difficult as possible for these VULTURES to one up us.

Offline bkg

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
No, because you're too much of an assclown to recognize the fact that there ARE limits on the First Amendment--has been ever since its creation.

Back to your cave, little ista.

And yet it's you people who intiate the personal attacks. Not a single one of you has given any reason why a protest - distasteful or not - should be limited speech.

Not one of you. The attitudes you display - that YOU should be the arbitors of who has free speech - is no better than the liberals you rail against on a daily basis. It's okay for YOU to limit speech, just not someone else.

That's hypocricy. And it's sad that, once again, conservatives show themselves just as hypocritical as the left - you really do not want free speech unless it's YOUR free speech.

Offline bkg

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
We have a silly law up here that makes it a hate crime to utter any words that may tend to cause a violent reaction in others.

This law is being used against some guy that called another man a Sissie.  

To my way of thinking, these really creepy people target small towns knowing that if they are arrested or even told to move on the town could not afford the law suit against them.

These people have come up with a brilliant way to make a fortune, I am sure there is nothing personal about their actions, just business as usual.   Unfortunately I believe they are building up to a very big pay day by pushing the bounds of their rights until they can bring a few small town to their knees with law suits.  

I believe we need to look at these people as having an agenda that ultimately will bring in MONEY.   Living off deep pockets, and law suits to do so.

My neighboring town has a noise ordnance, one can be fined for loud mufflers, radios, a neighbor who's car alarm disturbs the night constantly.

These Phelps who use the bull horns to disrupt a funeral can be gotten around.

Were I in the situation of facing these creeps at the funeral of one of my family, I would make a move to change the time of funeral and interment to Midnight.  

Advantages would be the dark would cover these people, they could be arrested on any noise ordnance because of the late hour.   There are only a hand full of Phelps people---- ,even if Phelps carries torches would be  so few  they could be totally ignored by the family.

To have a Military funeral there would have to be exemptions for the salute and bugler.  People in these town can vote in the exemptions and there is no way Phelps can challenge that.

Far as I know there are no laws that dictate the time of day or night a funeral takes place, so, put on your thinking caps and find a way to make it as difficult as possible for these VULTURES to one up us.

Brilliant... and simple solution.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Listening to his dad right now.  The Phelps kooks sent out fliers calling his son an "ass", and they also put out press releases to advertise the fact that they were going to protest the funeral.  Sick ****s.

Apparently, O'Reilly is raising money to help pay for the court costs/fine.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
Listening to his dad right now.  The Phelps kooks sent out fliers calling his son an "ass", and they also put out press releases to advertise the fact that they were going to protest the funeral.  Sick ****s.

Apparently, O'Reilly is raising money to help pay for the court costs/fine.

Thinking outside the box here, this Phelps is pastor of a Baptist Church or so he claims right .?

Does he only pick on Baptists or is he interrupting funeral services for people of other beliefs.?

Has this man picketted the funerals of those of other faiths such as the Unitarian Church that has Gay Pastors.?

Seems to me a good case can be made for them committing a hate crime by interfearing in a religious service of another faith.

What are the laws about inciting to riot using lies and indunendo.?

What are our laws about calling people names because of Age, Nationality, Race, sexual identity, or religion.?

So say Grand Pop is Jewish and a small church of some Christian demonation come crawling out of the woodwork and  procede to Picket the cemetery yelling that the Jews killed Jesus.

Or local Baptist churches picket the Catholic Churches calling all the priests child molesters.?

Or the local Catholic churches picket the funerals of health care workers that were involved in abortions.?

This is a freaking sticky wicket, darn, the door is open for just anyone to raise Hell with another religious ceremony's and when caught sue everyone including the town for nonprotection by the police to exercise their rights to free speech.

We forget that the Funeral of family members in all cultures is a most faith based event in the lives of the family members.  Outside the Baptism or marriage of a person of faith this is the most final, people can convert to another faith or divorce and remarry.  One can not come back from the dead.

I do not know what happend to those 4 idiots up in Maine that thought it would be amusing after 2 cases of beer to roll the head of a dead hog into a Muslim temple at prayer time but these Phelps people are doing akin to what those good old boys did.

Free speech does not involve intruding a solemn rite of anthers faith and speaking out against it to disturbs the rite unless that faith is feeding virgins into some volcano against their will.

The fact that Funerals are usually religious events, not public events, should cover the right of the family and guests to a peacefull observance.

Offline bijou

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
O'Reilly Pays Legal Bill for Fallen Marine's Father
Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010 08:19 PM
Article Font Size   

By: David A. Patten

No. 1 cable news host Bill O'Reilly said Tuesday that he will personally write a check to cover $16,500 in legal costs for the father of a fallen U.S. Marine who sued the members of a church who picketed his son's funeral. ...
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/oreilly-marine-funeral-protesters/2010/03/30/id/354287

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
If I were to be so fortunate to read of Mr. Phelps' passing in the news, I know I'd be sorely tempted to dig out my old uniform, make a road trip and exercise a little free speech of my own.  Would I be alone?  

I don't think so. It would be worth the trip.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"