Author Topic: I am fed up  (Read 2410 times)

Offline shadeaux

I am fed up
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7892182

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Mar-11-10 12:08 AM
Original message

I am fed up with shoddy clothing--here's my letter to Lands' End:   
 Dear xxx:

I am writing you today because I've been buying Lands' End clothing for a very long time, and I'm seeing changes that I do not like. This is true especially in women's clothing.

I see more and more emphasis on style, instead of quality. Now, I know that women's clothing has long been on the short end of the stick when it comes to quality; it's well known that men's clothing is better made, more durable, and much less likely to be changed due to style considerations. The new women's shirts, for example, are all frilly, very short sleeves, no top stitching, plus they skim close to the body. Maybe this appeals to the 20 somethings, but it sure doesn't appeal to me. I want well-made, well-sized and durable clothes. Back in the 80's and 90's, Lands' End clothing used to be made this way. No more.

I watched, in increasing dismay, as my favorite shirts were altered beyond recognition, and then not being made at all. For instance, the Lands' End mock turtle, in short sleeves. They used to have banded sleeves, they were cut generously through the body, and they had top stitching. The sleeves were also longer, much more attractive than the cap sleeves of today. And why were these changes made?

I think I know why. Those details cost money. And so it was decided by the powers that be that women wouldn't notice these changes, since we are so foolishly more concerned with fashion. Or if we did notice, well, we can always shop somewhere else. I can only speak for myself, but I sure as heck noticed. Over the years, I have voiced my concerns and my dismay to various operators, all to no avail. Big surprise, not. And so today, I have had enough. Time to get this in writing, and hopefully far enough up the ladder to be noticed.

My anger, my sense of disappointment, both can hardly be expressed adequately enough. Lands' End has put its profits ahead of truly caring for its customers. The company has decided, along with many companies, that exploiting (or maybe even helping to create) women's sense of fashion would be the best way to institute changes that would cost less, and make the clothing cheaper to make. And since women do not care about quality, then all would be well. Decrease the cost of making the clothes, and don't raise the prices (not by much, anyway) and the bottom line would be preserved. The customers would not be the wiser.
I see changes like these everywhere I shop. Everywhere companies are cutting corners, while they keep prices down, or increasing them only slightly. Maybe it's thought that the American public is too dumb, or too busy to notice, but I'm neither dumb nor busy.

So, now, I'm buying the men's shirts. The sizing is a little different, but I can adjust. Still, nothing would make me happier than to see the return to the values and the quality of yesterday. I would eagerly buy the now-vanished short-sleeved mock turtles I love. But they would have to be identical to the ones you folks made back in the 80's and 90's.
I suspect that I speak for many. And I sincerely hope that you will listen, and, more importantly, act.

Sincerely,
xxx

C-Peg, you have money, go find yourself someone to make the pieces you want. Every seamstress can make men's clothes.   :-)  No need to get angry and write something you may regret.  Maybe a poem would be better ?

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Mar-11-10 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #1

6. Well, I will say that their shirts are cotton, even the women's. 
 But your points are spot on about the fashion stuff.

I. Am. Fed. Up.

I wonder if I'll get a response...

No, unless you spend lots of money there I doubt they care what you think.

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Mar-11-10 12:59 AM
Response to Reply #24

25. Having an Outlet nearby must be wonderful...

Edited on Thu Mar-11-10 01:07 AM by CaliforniaPeggy

Alas, in California, no such thing.

I love their men's woven shirts for my husband.

:rotf:

I can't finish this post.

I. CAN'T.   

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: I am fed up
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »
Then esplode already! Or move along to a vendor that actually sells the tents you need!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:21 AM »
CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Mar-11-10 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #1

6. Well, I will say that their shirts are cotton, even the women's.
 But your points are spot on about the fashion stuff.

I. Am. Fed. Up.

I wonder if I'll get a response...

What. Is. It. With. Dummies. And. Periods. After. Each. Word?

or for a question should it be: What? Is? It? With? Dummies? And? Periods? After? Each? Word?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:52:25 AM »
I was reading the letter, before seeing who wrote it....got to the part about the mock turtleneck and thought "This has to be californiapeg",....scrolled back up real quick, and, sure enough!  LOL

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
 :rotf:

I so hoped someone would look.   :lmao:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »
What did you DUmmies think would happen when you bought overpriced yuppie crap?

I remember waiting for an oil change and thumbing through a GQ with the "Men of Maine" clothing pictorial, where hunky little poofs were modeling the latest "outdoor wear" that supposedly so many here in New England ascribe to, until I looked at the prices.  $1700 for a SWEATER???  I know guys in ME who haven't paid that much for ALL the clothing they've EVER worn! 

To top it off, the guy also waiting asked me what was so funny, so I showed him.  Damned if he didn't think it was as funny as I did.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »
Shouldn't "she" be buying men's clothes anyway??  :-)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Really.

Lands End has a nice line of mens casual clothes.

I buy polo shirts from them all time.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:39 AM »
I wish this were the greatest crisis of my life.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
I wish this were the greatest crisis of my life.

:hi5: you and me both...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »
That letter's time to the round file will be faster than when the light turns green and the guy behind you honks.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
Translation-I have gotten too fat for your clothes, so now I find them too expensive. When they still fit, I didn't care.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
Translation-I have gotten too fat for your clothes, so now I find them too expensive. When they still fit, I didn't care.

I don't think mock turtlenecks with banded short sleeves are made in the XXL and above sizes.  :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
Meh, I'll go to KMart or Walmart and shop when they have a clearance sale. I bought 5 shirts recently totaling about $20, one was only $.99. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Meh, I'll go to KMart or Walmart and shop when they have a clearance sale. I bought 5 shirts recently totaling about $20, one was only $.99. 

Runnin' Buddy and I were both department store and specialty boutique shoppers until about 2 years ago when we were planning her daughter's wedding in St Croix and we were in Walmart and Kmart a whole bunch for a variety of things.

We started looking at their clothes for stuff to take on the trip....trip was costing enough and we didn't have a bunch of extra money for clothes.

Since then we have become big shoppers at both stores for clothes. Walmart carries White Stag which was a very expensive brand when I was a kid. Ocean Pacific which was expensive when my kids were little. The stuff I have bought at both stores has held up really well...just as well as the "good" stuff from the department stores.

It amazes me how low they will price stuff to get rid of it.

Sam's also has a lot of good clothes. Jones New York, Levi, Nicole Miller, Calvin Klein, Nine West, etc.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
One time C-Peg had on a shirt she made.  I think she said she made it.  It was very nice.  She should whip up a few more.

She needs to find a new store.  I just googled.  She can find those turtleneck numbers at any sportswear store.

I agree with you debk.  If you shop right, you don't have to spend a lot for quality clothes.  It's knowing where to look and what to look at.

Beleve it or not, I hate shopping.   :-)   

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
Runnin' Buddy and I were both department store and specialty boutique shoppers until about 2 years ago when we were planning her daughter's wedding in St Croix and we were in Walmart and Kmart a whole bunch for a variety of things.

We started looking at their clothes for stuff to take on the trip....trip was costing enough and we didn't have a bunch of extra money for clothes.

Since then we have become big shoppers at both stores for clothes. Walmart carries White Stag which was a very expensive brand when I was a kid. Ocean Pacific which was expensive when my kids were little. The stuff I have bought at both stores has held up really well...just as well as the "good" stuff from the department stores.

It amazes me how low they will price stuff to get rid of it.

Sam's also has a lot of good clothes. Jones New York, Levi, Nicole Miller, Calvin Klein, Nine West, etc.

My wife will look for sweaters and pullover type shirts in the men's department, because they are often quite cheaper, for similar brands and styles.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
My wife will look for sweaters and pullover type shirts in the men's department, because they are often quite cheaper, for similar brands and styles.

I do the same for M. He's ridiculously hard on clothes.  ::)

He wears khakis all the time. The light ones in the summer and black or blue in the winter. Thinks nothing of looking at a big hunk of machinery and then wiping his hands on his slacks and expects me to get them clean.  :uhsure: Kmart and Sam's both have some great ones that are under $20, that I can throw in the washer and dryer, that come out unwrinkled if I take them out of the dryer right when it finishes. They also don't wrinkle in our horrendous summer humidity. Since he wrecks them before they wear out, they are perfect and they don't have to go to the dry cleaners either.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
So, now, I'm buying the men's shirts. The sizing is a little different, but I can adjust.
Just call your Mom and ask what size she bought for you in high school.

Still, nothing would make me happier than to see the return to the values and the quality of yesterday.
Me too, C-Peg, me too.  Reagan-era would be a great start.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
So, you have a gripe with Lands End, and you are gonna show em your moxie.  You write a long letter, telling them you don't like the women's shirts anymore, so you are just going to buy the men's shirts.  You are still shopping with the same people.

:thatsright:  That makes sense. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
Cruel fate
No mock turtlenecks
to cover my throat
and the sleeves are wrong
wrong wrong wrong wrong

I don't care
about style
things were better
in my youth
when Land's End
sold dykewear
I am in despair
sad sad sad sad

I thought a letter
would do
but no
the clothes in the catalog
designs are criminal
I call 911
hear the sirens
see the lights
blink blink blink blink
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
Looks like Dress Barn is going to get a new customer.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
Cruel fate
No mock turtlenecks
to cover my throat
and the sleeves are wrong
wrong wrong wrong wrong

I don't care
about style
things were better
in my youth
when Land's End
sold dykewear
I am in despair
sad sad sad sad

I thought a letter
would do
but no
the clothes in the catalog
designs are criminal
I call 911
hear the sirens
see the lights
blink blink blink blink

Lady, you owe me a sweet tea, because I done lost mine all over my desk!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lmao lmao lmao lmao
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »
What. Is. It. With. Dummies. And. Periods. After. Each. Word?

or for a question should it be: What? Is? It? With? Dummies? And? Periods? After? Each? Word?

That common DUmp device is known as Pittian Emphasis. It was introduced to the DUmp by the incredibly boring bloviating drunkard William Pitt. Pitt used it frequently to impress the lunatics with his seriousness, and it gives the user instant DUmp gravitas. It's never used with question marks. Anyone who applies Pittian Emphasis to their writing is far too authoritative on the subject at hand to ask a question of the DUmp dimwits.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
Looks like Dress Barn is going to get a new customer.

More like Omar's Tent and Awning will get a new customer.