Author Topic: Orlando Sea World trainer killed.  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
Orlando Sea World trainer killed.
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Sources at SeaWorld Orlando told Eyewitness News that a female trainer was killed Wednesday afternoon by a whale that had been at the park since 1992. The sheriff's office also confirmed that an employee was killed.

"Orange County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded this afternoon to SeaWorld along with Orange County Fire Rescue units in response to a call for service regarding an employee, in the Killer Whale tank, which had been injured/attacked," the sheriff's office wrote in a release Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.wftv.com/news/22659910/detail.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:57:54 PM by Chris »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Orlando Sea World trainer killed.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
That's not really how you're supposed to go about trying to be a SEAL.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
I'm kinda curious about the details of the whole incident.  What was she doing that got the Orca worked up enough to kill her?
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
They're still trying to figure that out. Reports are she got grabbed and shook during a show and the press briefing said she slipped in a tank in the back and he grabbed her and drowned her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »
There is always a chance of being injured or killed when working with any kind a wild animal, no matter how long they have been in the "park" RIP
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline terry

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
I'm kinda curious about the details of the whole incident.  What was she doing that got the Orca worked up enough to kill her?

More details here..
link

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
There is always a chance of being injured or killed when working with any kind a wild animal, no matter how long they have been in the "park" RIP

Yup, just ask Siegfried and Roy....

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
"Come and see how animals are smarter an nicer than people. Come see how we should live in harmony with nature and not evil corpor..... aahhhhh..... hhheeeeellllppppp.... gurgle, gurgle..... help me!!..."

"and they call her dinner.... dinner.... hungrier than you are.... " tune of the Flipper theme song.

All those themes they use to mislead the audience into think we can commune with Shamu or polar bears.... this was bound to happen sooner or later... Lion tamers and stuff...

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
As much as I love Sea World and going to watch Shamu...no way would I get into a tank of water with him!!!

Have to admit though...I have gone swimming with the dolphins in the Bahamas and would do it again in a heart beat. They are just incredible....and they don't eat people.

Also have gone swimming with stingrays in the Caymans and the Bahamas....while really neat, it was a wee bit scary in the Caymans....I had on a white sparkly tank suit....they liked me way too well and kept trying to wrap their wings around me and take me to the bottom. The "guide" or whatever he was, that was with us, made me get out of the water. The stingrays were attracted to my sparkles....guess they thought I could be lunch.  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
Ain't the first time.  There have been at least 3 at Sea World (SD and Orlando) since 1991.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline lastparker

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
"Come and see how animals are smarter an nicer than people. Come see how we should live in harmony with nature and not evil corpor..... aahhhhh..... hhheeeeellllppppp.... gurgle, gurgle..... help me!!..."

"and they call her dinner.... dinner.... hungrier than you are.... " tune of the Flipper theme song.

All those themes they use to mislead the audience into think we can commune with Shamu or polar bears.... this was bound to happen sooner or later... Lion tamers and stuff...

Don't crush my childhood dream of becoming Grizzly Adams.  Or at least a chick version of him.   :hyper:
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
Don't crush my childhood dream of becoming Grizzly Adams.  Or at least a chick version of him.   :hyper:

Remember the Grizzly Man documentary? lol

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »

Tim Treadwell found out the hard way that don't work out so well.  :diebouncy:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »

Have to admit though...I have gone swimming with the dolphins in the Bahamas and would do it again in a heart beat. They are just incredible....and they don't eat people.

I recall watching a documentary a few years ago claiming that dolphins are not as docile as we think they are...so be careful.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
I recall watching a documentary a few years ago claiming that dolphins are not as docile as we think they are...so be careful.

You have to be verrrrry careful when rubbing them to not get near their "parts"....they are easily excited and can become very agressive.

Rather "human-like".... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »

You have to be verrrrry careful when rubbing them to not get near their "parts"....they are easily excited and can become very agressive.

Rather "human-like".... :-)
They are Horny little buggers.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshkL7ztB5I[/youtube]

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:12:37 AM »
And get a load of that guy a few years ago who stayed in the park after hours, and jumped in the tank with Shamu.  Classic case of fatal moonbattery.  He wanted to commune and become one with the whales, to sing Kumbaya with them and feel the utter harmony with Mother Gaia.  Mother Nature will happily kill you if you're not careful. 

debk, what a story about the stingrays!  I would have been terrified. 

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:50 AM »
And get a load of that guy a few years ago who stayed in the park after hours, and jumped in the tank with Shamu.  Classic case of fatal moonbattery.  He wanted to commune and become one with the whales, to sing Kumbaya with them and feel the utter harmony with Mother Gaia.  Mother Nature will happily kill you if you're not careful. 

Yep, same whale actually.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:42:52 AM »
Yep, same whale actually.

So much for whale reformation

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
This is what SHOULD happen when people imprison wild animals for their own entertainment.   
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:24 AM »
This is what SHOULD happen when people imprison wild animals for their own entertainment.   

Except most animals in zoo and places like Sea World are born in captivity. To release them would be the same as killing them outright.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
Except most animals in zoo and places like Sea World are born in captivity. To release them would be the same as killing them outright.

There was this cute guy (I don't remember his name) on Animal Planet that wanted to return lion cubs back to the wild.  They were probably a year old and near adult size...but raised with humans.  He had to "teach" them how to become predators.  Well, after about 4 weeks of training...their natural instincts returned.  He had to be careful that they didn't see him as prey...but as soon as they saw a lone gazelle....they went for the kill.

Wild animals are beautiful...I especially love wild cats....but they belong in the wild.  When I've been to zoo's and seen these wild tigers upclose...it's bittersweet...while I loved seeing them up close (a thick piece of glass separated us) I felt so bad for them.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
There was this cute guy (I don't remember his name) on Animal Planet that wanted to return lion cubs back to the wild.  They were probably a year old and near adult size...but raised with humans.  He had to "teach" them how to become predators.  Well, after about 4 weeks of training...their natural instincts returned.  He had to be careful that they didn't see him as prey...but as soon as they saw a lone gazelle....they went for the kill.

Wild animals are beautiful...I especially love wild cats....but they belong in the wild.  When I've been to zoo's and seen these wild tigers upclose...it's bittersweet...while I loved seeing them up close (a thick piece of glass separated us) I felt so bad for them.

But, many animals live a much longer healthier life,, maybe not happier, in captivity.  I do think conditions could be better at some zoos, but I think they serve a purpose.  People seeing the animals up close get a sense of empathy for animals, which helps to further conservation causes. imo

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »
But, many animals live a much longer healthier life,, maybe not happier, in captivity.  I do think conditions could be better at some zoos, but I think they serve a purpose.  People seeing the animals up close get a sense of empathy for animals, which helps to further conservation causes. imo

I agree with you on that one.  I do have a problem with the exhibitions that include interractions with humans, however.  It shouldn't come as a great surprise that a 6-ton killer whale might at some point act like one. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
I agree with you on that one.  I do have a problem with the exhibitions that include interractions with humans, however.  It shouldn't come as a great surprise that a 6-ton killer whale might at some point act like one. 

Fox had the trainer's sister on this morning, and she basically said that she died doing what she loved, and that she wouldn't want anything done to "Telly".   OTOH, if it weren't for human interaction with animals, we wouldn't have dogs and cats.