Author Topic: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive getting tired of her U.S. Senator  (Read 616 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7756133

Oh my.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-20-10 08:15 AM
THE BITTER OLD VERMONTESE CALI PRIMITIVE
Original message

My state's senior senator has served for 36 years. He's running again.

I'll support him this year. It's not a year where I think we should take the chance of a repub getting elected, but although I think he's been a good senator, should he run again in 2016, I will not support him.

I don't believe in term limits but I'm tired of these guys hanging on to their seats decade after decade. It's part of the problem in the world's most exclusive club.

The bitter old Vermontese cali primitive's of course referring to Patrick "Joe McCarthy" Leahy (D-Vermont)--but Jr. from Vermont, Bernard Sanders, the other senator is older and more decrepit.

Yurovsky  (956 posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 08:20 AM
Response to Original message

3. Robert Byrd's still serving...

C'mon West Virginia, can't SOMEBODY step up for the Democratic Party and help Byrd into retirement?

I remember him as a active, forceful voice for the party in the 1970s (when he had Harry Reid's job). That was 30+ years ago, people...

The mountain man primitive who, like all men, nightly pitches his tent one day's march nearer the mausoleum:

ThomWV  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 08:39 AM
THE MOUNTAIN MAN PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #3

5. You wold not like what the people of West Virginia would replace him with.

Obamanaut  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 08:32 AM

4. They hang onto their seats for decade after decade because people vote for "the name you know."

Incumbents are reelected at about a 90% rate, with replacements found only because of retirement or death.

Just recently I read a report that a Kennedy is moving to Mass. in order to run and return the "Kennedy seat" to the family.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-20-10 08:42 AM
THE BITTER OLD VERMONTESE CALI PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #4

6. that "report" about Patrick Kennedy is bullshit from a right wing site.

TheCowsCameHome  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 09:05 AM
Response to Reply #4

7. After the problems Patrick had in RI, he's not going to run in MA

Even Massachusetts won't embrace him.

Other Kennedy's, maybe. Patrick, no.

Dappleganger  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 09:23 AM

9. Feeling like entitled lords of the manor.

Yeah, that describes dead ted to a tee.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive getting tired of her U.S. Senator
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Yurovsky  (956 posts)      Sat Feb-20-10 08:20 AM

3. Robert Byrd's still serving...
C'mon West Virginia, can't SOMEBODY step up for the Democratic Party and help Byrd into retirement?

Rockefeller and Byrd are likely to be the last democrat Senators from West Virginia. Thankfully, both will be gone soon. Rockefeller is in his 70s, and Byrd is so old he was a Klansman when the Klan was a popular and powerful political organization, electing a lot of candidates in local elections.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »

Rockefeller and Byrd are likely to be the last democrat Senators from West Virginia. Thankfully, both will be gone soon. Rockefeller is in his 70s, and Byrd is so old he was a Klansman when the Klan was a popular and powerful political organization, electing a lot of candidates in local elections.

I think that the best kept secret in Washington is that Byrd died a while ago......he's embalmed, and his staff wheels him in and props him up every once in a while for show......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »
I think that the best kept secret in Washington is that Byrd died a while ago......he's embalmed, and his staff wheels him in and props him up every once in a while for show......

doc

I agree! No other explanation for "Moldy Oldy"! I think they're also re-playing his recorded comments from the 90's. They made just about as much sense then, too!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
He's been brain dead for years