Author Topic: Springsteen sues NYC bar over cover songs  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Springsteen sues NYC bar over cover songs
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) - Bruce Springsteen is suing a Manhattan pub, saying it failed to pay an annual licensing fee to an organization that distributes royalty payments to artists.

Springsteen claims the pub violated his copyrights by letting an unidentified band perform two of his songs for profit.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323782&Itemid=1387

:asshat:

I remember a few years ago, he reneged on a horse contract for his kid. $850,000 top-level jumper- too much horse for the kid. BS claimed the horse wasn't good enuf for her, finally settled and let the owner keep the horse. Horse and rider have been top ranked every year since.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline longview

Re: Springsteen sues NYC bar over cover songs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
Sounds like he's drank too much of his own kool-aid.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323782&Itemid=1387

:asshat:

I remember a few years ago, he reneged on a horse contract for his kid. $850,000 top-level jumper- too much horse for the kid. BS claimed the horse wasn't good enuf for her, finally settled and let the owner keep the horse. Horse and rider have been top ranked every year since.
How can he actually do this? Bar bands have been doing covers since there were bars! I wonder how many times Bruce was sued for doing a Roy Orbison song at The Stone Pony in Jersey in the early 70s? :whatever:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
How can he actually do this? Bar bands have been doing covers since there were bars! I wonder how many times Bruce was sued for doing a Roy Orbison song at The Stone Pony in Jersey in the early 70s? :whatever:

The artist isn't being sued, the bar is. Bars have to pay a fee to licensing groups to have music played in their venues.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
The artist isn't being sued, the bar is. Bars have to pay a fee to licensing groups to have music played in their venues.
From what i remember playing in a band back in the late 80s early 90s that was never enforced in the bars here in Detroit! Bruce is being a petty prick here in my opinion!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »
I saw this on Springsteen's official website . . .

In regards to the ASCAP lawsuit against Connolly's Pub and Restaurant, ASCAP was solely responsible for naming Bruce Springsteen as a plaintiff in the lawsuit.  Bruce Springsteen had no knowledge of this lawsuit, was not asked if he would participate as a named plaintiff, and would not have agreed to do so if he had been asked.  Upon learning of this lawsuit this morning, Bruce Springsteen's representatives demanded the immediate removal of his name from the lawsuit.

Not sure what this says about Springsteen and ASCAP, but it looks to me as if maybe ASCAP was trying to get Springsteen to join the suit after the fact.  I actually think that, if this uproar hadn't been there, he might have joined the suit.  Even though I love Springsteen's music, there would have been no way I'd have agreed to his side in a suit.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
From what i remember playing in a band back in the late 80s early 90s that was never enforced in the bars here in Detroit! Bruce is being a petty prick here in my opinion!

Not saying I disagree with you, but there have been a few bars in the Philly area hit with suits from ASCAP and BMI for copyright infringement in the past few years.

It's not the band's responsibility--it's the bar owner's.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
I saw this on Springsteen's official website . . .

Not sure what this says about Springsteen and ASCAP, but it looks to me as if maybe ASCAP was trying to get Springsteen to join the suit after the fact.  I actually think that, if this uproar hadn't been there, he might have joined the suit.  Even though I love Springsteen's music, there would have been no way I'd have agreed to his side in a suit.
Yeah! Can't say i blame Bruce. I wouldn't want anything to do with this at all....Horrible PR!

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
Not saying I disagree with you, but there have been a few bars in the Philly area hit with suits from ASCAP and BMI for copyright infringement in the past few years.

It's not the band's responsibility--it's the bar owner's.
I understand Splash. I know the owners of the bars we used to play at and they never said anything about being sued because we did covers there and they never asked for a set list to determine who they had to pay! Very strange. I understand this if you are going to record someone else's music and make a profit but just playing it in a bar? How many bars can be sued for having Karaoke if that is the case?

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
I understand Splash. I know the owners of the bars we used to play at and they never said anything about being sued because we did covers there and they never asked for a set list to determine who they had to pay! Very strange. I understand this if you are going to record someone else's music and make a profit but just playing it in a bar? How many bars can be sued for having Karaoke if that is the case?

Usually, they pay a fee that covers everything--not just band specific stuff. As long as you pay the fee, you can play jukebox stuff, or karaoke, or bands can play covers. One fee covers everything. At least that's how I understand it.

So as long as you pay the licensing fee, you can have bands, or karaoke, or whatever. You don't have to look at a band's set list.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »
Yeah! Can't say i blame Bruce. I wouldn't want anything to do with this at all....Horrible PR!

That's why he finally settled in the horse case- bad PR, and no support from the crowd he was trying to impress.  :whatever:
    - Charlton Heston

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
So much for the "champion of the working man" facade.

Remind me why dems never go after Hollywood the way they go after Wall Street.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »

Remind me why dems never go after Hollywood the way they go after Wall Street.

That's where their gods live and dispense their vast knowledge.  :bow:
    - Charlton Heston

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
I know a guy that does DJ work, and in most cases he is responsible for paying the fees to ASCAP.  Of course, most of his digital music was free.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »

Yup. That bullshit publicity facade disappeared a long time ago.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
I hate BS. Never really liked much of his music either.
Just another east coast elitist liberal that THINKS he knows what is best for the middle class underlings.
That is why I use Bit Torrent to download his music. I never listen to it, just download it.
Yea, I am kind of an ass like that.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »
I hate BS. Never really liked much of his music either.
Just another east coast elitist liberal that THINKS he knows what is best for the middle class underlings.
That is why I use Bit Torrent to download his music. I never listen to it, just download it.
Yea, I am kind of an ass like that.

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth to download his music.