Author Topic: Liberals politicizing tragedies for political gain  (Read 33859 times)

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
Re: Liberals politicizing tragedies for political gain
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »
Tell ya what--go get a Sea Service ribbon, THEN you can tell us what it's all about.

For the record, I had five.

Got one.
"As Mankind becomes more Liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and Liberality."     -George Washington

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Be aware - I agreed with you on your logic. But focusing on semantics rather than the actual topic also makes you a petty bitch.

Fair enough
"As Mankind becomes more Liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and Liberality."     -George Washington

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
And this is where you are completely incorrect.

BTW - since you called it, please PROVE that "everyone is naturally inclined...."

Play by your own rules, please.

Simply a matter of basic human instinct.

From when we are born our basic instinct is exert some measure of control/influence over our environment and by extention the people in that environment to satisfy our basic needs and wants.

We're taught that we can't always have it our way but none the less the instinct remains.

Now as we grow older that instinct influences or has the capacity to influence the attitudes and sentiments we develope over time.  A baisc human want is a measure of conformity to one's own ideal environment, and again a basic human instinct is to exert control over one's own environment.  So at some level there is an underlying instinct to control the people around us to satisfy our want of conformity.

Offline bkg

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »

Simply a matter of basic human instinct.

From when we are born our basic instinct is exert some measure of control/influence over our environment and by extention the people in that environment to satisfy our basic needs and wants.

We're taught that we can't always have it our way but none the less the instinct remains.

Now as we grow older that instinct influences or has the capacity to influence the attitudes and sentiments we develope over time.  A baisc human want is a measure of conformity to one's own ideal environment, and again a basic human instinct is to exert control over one's own environment.  So at some level there is an underlying instinct to control the people around us to satisfy our want of conformity.

Nice opinion. You haven't proven your statement. You said EVERYONE. Better start proving that - 7 Billion people in the world. You're going to be busy.

Either back up your shit, or stop playing pathetic symantical games.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
Confusion is neither an ideology nor is it a philosophy.

A lot of people are confused.  Ain't nothing special about any of them.  Even if they are adept at masking their own confusion via a web of vague semantics and capricious, ever-shifting rules of debate.  Anyone can impress their own self.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Oceander

« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
Nice opinion. You haven't proven your statement. You said EVERYONE. Better start proving that - 7 Billion people in the world. You're going to be busy.

Ok, let's be a little more nuanced in what counts as a logical argument, hmmm.  I am not saying, for the time being, that Absolut's argument satisfies the criterion for an indirect proof, but if inductive reasoning is good enough for proving statements regarding the natural numbers (or some infinite subset thereof) then they ought, in principle, to be good enough for indirectly proving statements regarding a mere 7 billion or so human beings, no?

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »

That isn't a semantical game, pathetic or otherwise.

That's hypothesis backed by observation supported by facts regarding basic human social psychology.

And until now one I thought that was more widely known and accepted.

Now if you have evidence to disprove the aforementioned hypothesis, I'm ready to open minedly hear your position.

Offline bkg

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

That's hypothesis backed by observation supported by facts regarding basic human social psychology.

Now if you have evidence to disprove the aforementioned hypothesis, I'm ready to open minedly hear your position.

I don't need to disprove your hypothesis - you need to prove it.

If you're going to call people out for using the word "ALL," then you better be prepared to backup usage of the word "EVERYONE." Either play by the rules you ask others to, or don't play at all, okay? I supported you earlier, now I'm holding you to the same accountability. Can't have it both ways, dude.

Offline bkg

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Ok, let's be a little more nuanced in what counts as a logical argument, hmmm.  I am not saying, for the time being, that Absolut's argument satisfies the criterion for an indirect proof, but if inductive reasoning is good enough for proving statements regarding the natural numbers (or some infinite subset thereof) then they ought, in principle, to be good enough for indirectly proving statements regarding a mere 7 billion or so human beings, no?

Completely agree with you. But he wanted to play semantical games, so I assumed he was willing to play by his own rules, so I called him on it.  :-)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Everyone is naturally inclined to want to control other people...

This is ironic as the genesis of this thread came from his taking umbrage with my declaration that ALL liberals exploit tragedy for political gain.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline bkg

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
This is ironic as the genesis of this thread came from his taking umbrage with my declaration that ALL liberals exploit tragedy for political gain.

hence my challenge.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  Since you are championing the proposition in dispute, it falls to you to prove its truth; one does not get to allege controversial statements as fact, and then sit around on one's laurels and wait for one's opponents to disprove one's unproven allegations.

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
I don't need to disprove your hypothesis - you need to prove it.

I don't see why not, regarding the generalization I challenged earlier I submitted evidence disproving it.

But anyway regarding my observation I suppose, we'll have to agree to disagree as I've presented the most compelling evidence to support it.

If you're going to call people out for using the word "ALL," then you better be prepared to backup usage of the word "EVERYONE."

I have no problem with that at all.

Either play by the rules you ask others to, or don't play at all, okay? I supported you earlier, now I'm holding you to the same accountability. Can't have it both ways, dude.

Beg pardon but what gave you the impression I wanted it both ways?  I wasn't opposing the use of "ALL,"  "EVERYONE," or the like in any observation just challenging a specific instance I demonstrated to be ill founded.

Course I would think it would go without saying that there is a fundamental difference between a politically motivated generalization intended to disparage and a politically neutral hypothesis on human social psychology.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
You know, a thief tends to view everyone else as a thief, thus justifying himself.  "Everybody does it" is the rallying cry of the Statist, thus justifying their peccadilloes and foibles.  And so are our true selves revealed in how we view "everyone."
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
You know, a thief tends to view everyone else as a thief, thus justifying himself.  "Everybody does it" is the rallying cry of the Statist, thus justifying their peccadilloes and foibles.  And so are our true selves revealed in how we view "everyone."

It's also a cop out knee jerk defense when you can't argue the facts.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
It's also a cop out knee jerk defense when you can't argue the facts.
Honestly, I don't think the guy is all that worth it.  As soon as I saw the "I'm a liberal conservative" or whatever, I knew he was either very young and confused or simply very, very confused and not improving with age.

It might even be worth it to tell him, "okay, you win." so he can go skipping away back to his liberal board bragging about his argumentative adequacy against we troglodyte cavians.

I've never met anyone at any time who reminded me more of the Monty Python argument skit.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »

Fascinating observation.   

Honestly, I don't think the guy is all that worth it.

Obviously worth it enough for you to share.  hmmmmmm

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »

It might even be worth it to tell him, "okay, you win." so he can go skipping away back to his liberal board bragging about his argumentative adequacy against we troglodyte cavians.

I'm not quite sure, but I don't believe that Nick belongs to any "Liberal" board. I DO know that he belongs to USMILNET and here. What I DO know of him, he's not that into forums and bringing him here was an effort in itself.

You know, we SAY that we have an "open" forum, but Lord forbid that anybody that thinks outside the group comes here. While I DO disdain some factions, like the Ron Paul robots, I'd like to consider myself open minded.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
I'm not quite sure, but I don't believe that Nick belongs to any "Liberal" board. I DO know that he belongs to USMILNET and here. What I DO know of him, he's not that into forums and bringing him here was an effort in itself.

You know, we SAY that we have an "open" forum, but Lord forbid that anybody that thinks outside the group comes here. While I DO disdain some factions, like the Ron Paul robots, I'd like to consider myself open minded.

That's great and everything, but he hasn't actually said anything yet. It would be nice if he did something other than play with semantics.

Just sayin'.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »

Maybe he's not that much into forums because he's not that good at being on them?  And that's fine.  Everybody has different strengths. 

If I needed someone to bore somebody to death by hair splitting, Nick would be the first person I called on.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2010, 07:40:22 PM »

For those concerned these are the forums I belong to:

USMILNET (as mentioned above)*
Military.com
US Milvets*
Democratic Underground
Maryland Shooters*

*Indicates I have posted within the past few months.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »

For those concerned these are the forums I belong to:

USMILNET (as mentioned above)*
Military.com
US Milvets*
Democratic Underground
Maryland Shooters*

*Indicates I have posted within the past few months.

Why does this not surprise me?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »
That's great and everything, but he hasn't actually said anything yet. It would be nice if he did something other than play with semantics.

Just sayin'.

I've said something, but it is obvious that it has fallen on a few deaf ears.

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Why does this not surprise me?

Because you're allowing your preconceptions to do the thinking for you?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

Because you're allowing your preconceptions to do the thinking for you?

Or perhaps your own words betray your position?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford