Author Topic: Assimilation  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Assimilation
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

:werd:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:22:30 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: Assimilation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
Shaazam!  That's one heck of a quote.  Any source, of when/where it was said, for confirmation?  Not that I'm doubting you... just wondering the context and turn of events that brought that out of him. 
According to Truth or Fiction it is true but is from a letter written in 1919 and not a speech given in 1907.

Here is a link.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
 :exactly:

How provocative and how true.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Georgia Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:15 AM »
Amen! That is a quote just speaks the truth.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »
Imagine him writing that letter today.

The mainstream media would label him xenophobic, jingoistic, etc...

Theodore Roosevelt was one of the greatest Presidents EVER.

I heard a talk radio host recently say that, today, America is a beef stew rather than a melting pot.

:censored: