Author Topic: Mind-Numbed Theocratic Fundie Apocalypse on the Way???  (Read 14397 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Mind-Numbed Theocratic Fundie Apocalypse on the Way???
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:46 AM »
Q: What does that look like for you, and how do you feed that personal relationship with God? Some people talk about prayer, talking to God. Some talk about reading the Bible and experiencing God that way. What does that look like for you?

Senator Clinton: It has looked like the connection that I felt like I made as a child but just kept growing and was always present in my life. I believe in the father, son, and Holy Spirit, and I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit on many occasions in my years on this earth. I pray, I read the Bible, I read commentary on scriptures, I read other people’s faith journeys. That is, for me, at the real core of how I keep feeding my faith. And, I was lucky because, as I said at the faith and politics event, I was taught to pray and I inculcate it as a habit in my daily life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/us/politics/07clinton-text.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

I await the standard liberal responses re; religion.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Taxman

Re: Mind-Numbed Theocratic Fundie Apocalypse on the Way???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »
Q: What does that look like for you, and how do you feed that personal relationship with God? Some people talk about prayer, talking to God. Some talk about reading the Bible and experiencing God that way. What does that look like for you?

Senator Clinton: It has looked like the connection that I felt like I made as a child but just kept growing and was always present in my life. I believe in the father, son, and Holy Spirit, and I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit on many occasions in my years on this earth. I pray, I read the Bible, I read commentary on scriptures, I read other people’s faith journeys. That is, for me, at the real core of how I keep feeding my faith. And, I was lucky because, as I said at the faith and politics event, I was taught to pray and I inculcate it as a habit in my daily life.

In the words of Jesus "...by their fruits you shall know them." 
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/us/politics/07clinton-text.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »

As a secularist, I have no qualms about voting for a person of faith. The kinds of politicans who make me nervous are politicians like Mike Huckabee- candidates who think they can interpret events as being the work of God and who act on the basis of what they imagine God tells them to do.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »

As a secularist, I have no qualms about voting for a person of faith. The kinds of politicans who make me nervous are politicians like Mike Huckabee- candidates who think they can interpret events as being the work of God and who act on the basis of what they imagine God tells them to do.

Interesting answer...you have no qualms voting for a person of faith, as long as they don't really trust God.   :lmao:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:05:54 AM »
Interesting answer...you have no qualms voting for a person of faith, as long as they don't really trust God.   :lmao:
I'll get TNO some ice for the swelling.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:40:19 AM »

I don't have a problem with people putting their trust in a deity and or even in the idea that events are happening according to some divine plan, but I think that people are fooling themselves when they start believing that they can know what God is thinking or doing.

When Mike Huckabee started doing really well in the presidential race, he loudly proclaimed his success to be the will of God. When Mike Huckabee started losing, he apparently lost his desire to attribute events to the will of God. Why hasn't Huckabee proclaimed his loss to be the will of God? Because he arrogantly believes that he can know which events are the will of God and which aren't.

Here is an interesting exercise I tried at NU...

A man appears before you out of thin air and claims to be God. The man tells you to kill the next person you see wearing red shoes. What do you do?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:10:31 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »

I don't have a problem with people putting their trust in a deity and or even in the idea that events are happening according to some divine plan, but I think that people are fooling themselves when they start believing that they can know what God is thinking or doing.

When Mike Huckabee started doing really well in the presidential race, he loudly proclaimed his success to be the will of God. When Mike Huckabee started losing, he apparently lost his desire to attribute events to the will of God. Why hasn't Huckabee proclaimed his loss to be the will of God?

A man appears before you out of thin air and claims to be God. The man tells you to kill the next person you see wearing red shoes. What do you do?

What you don't understand is that through prayer, giving thanks, good deeds, acting according to God's laws... you will come to know Him and by extension know counterfeits. You really don't understand the spiritual journey, it is not passive, but it is the daily active expression of faith.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
  • Revolution we can believe in!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
What you don't understand is that through prayer, giving thanks, good deeds, acting according to God's laws... you will come to know Him and by extension know counterfeits. You really don't understand the spiritual journey, it is not passive, but it is the daily active expression of faith.
No, TNO doesn't understand faith and spirituality, but that doesn't stop him from feeling superior to people of faith. 
This space for rent.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »
No, TNO doesn't understand faith and spirituality, but that doesn't stop him from feeling superior to people of faith. 

I'll pray for him. It's a fundie's secret weapon.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »

So, people who pray, give thanks, perform good deeds, and act according to God's laws can have an infallible sense of what God wants? I don't think so.

Trusting in God is one thing. Trusting in mankind's ability to divine what God wants is quite another. One would have to be perfect to have a perfect sense of what God is or what God wants.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »

If you're going to pray for me, could you ask God to send some money my way so I can buy some of the frivolous things I want right now? I promise that should a windfall of money come my way, I will give half of it to charity. Plus, a windfall of money which seems to come as a result of prayers might make me more inclined to believe in God. Everyone wins.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:40:22 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »

So, people who pray, give thanks, perform good deeds, and act according to God's laws can have an infallible sense of what God wants? I don't think so.

Trusting in God is one thing. Trusting in mankind's ability to divine what God wants is quite another. One would have to be perfect to have a perfect sense of what God is or what God wants.

And people who do not do the above have a better chance of knowing God? I don't think so.

You are a walking contradiction Night Owl.  I can't tell if you deny the existence of God or you spite Him.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »

If you're going to pray for me, could you ask God to send some money my way so I can buy some of the frivolous things I want right now? I promise that should a windfall of money come my way, I will give half of it to charity. Plus, a windfall of money which seems to come as a result of prayers might make me more inclined to believe in God. Everyone wins.

Ok, now you are just being an ignoramus. Intentionally or unintentionally, I have no idea.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
And people who do not do the above have a better chance of knowing God? I don't think so.

You are a walking contradiction Night Owl.  I can't tell if you deny the existence of God or you spite Him.

I am about as nearly certain that God does not exist as one can be.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

I am about as nearly certain that God does not exist as one can be.

Why do you smite that which does not exist? 

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 08:44:18 AM »
Ok, now you are just being an ignoramus. Intentionally or unintentionally, I have no idea.

As long as I'm not greedy, what is wrong about asking God for money?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »

By your own admission, it would be pointless. Help me understand where you're headed with this and I'll decide if it is worth my time.  :-)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »

You're worse.

You're a hypocrite. You deny God on evidentiary grounds yet all you do is spout moralisms.

Please show me the empirical proofs for moralist statements.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 09:18:21 AM »

You're worse.

You're a hypocrite. You deny God on evidentiary grounds yet all you do is spout moralisms.

Please show me the empirical proofs for moralist statements.

Exactly, it would be difficult for him to delineate an argument for human rights without referencing God. Near impossible I'd say.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
Exactly, it would be difficult for him to delineate an argument for human rights without referencing God. Near impossible I'd say.
To be sure, many an atheist will claim the ability to ACT morally, and in this they would be correct; but what they lack is the ability to BE moral.

To be like a thing requires the ability to apprehend what the thing.

However, I am as yet unaware of any telemetric reading, quantum observation or mathematical formula that can ascertain and describe that which is moral. Absent all empirical reference to the moral the moralizing atheist can only project his subjective musings about what "ought" and "ought not" be.

It does no good to claim, "humanity ought to do that which allows itself to propogate" based on some bizarre deference to Darwinian theory of survival of the fittest because the first thing Darwinian theory teaches us is that nothing ought to be anything, it merely is. Life is unplanned, unmourned and unjustified and uncompensated. Worse, the faux-atheist will further bastardize his mistake by expounding, "such propogation requires orderly society as man is a social being therefore man ought to enjoy social equality."

Piffle!

I would love to see the empirical refutation of, "socializing is a genetic trait, ergo as only propogative traits descend from genetics those humans which lack sufficient genetic qualities to propogate should be weeded from the gene pool."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
I believe Elvis has left the building snugs.... you are amazing though, I love reading you. What the heck, I love you but you already knew that.  :-*

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »
I believe Elvis has left the building snugs....
The young, thin Elvis or the fat, druggd-out Elvis?

you are amazing though, I love reading you. What the heck, I love you but you already knew that.  :-*
And it warms the cockles of my heart...big, throbbing heart cockles.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

When Mike Huckabee started doing really well in the presidential race, he loudly proclaimed his success to be the will of God. When Mike Huckabee started losing, he apparently lost his desire to attribute events to the will of God. Why hasn't Huckabee proclaimed his loss to be the will of God? Because he arrogantly believes that he can know which events are the will of God and which aren't.

Not all things that happen are what God would choose, or else we would have no free will.  However, everything God wills and everything He allows will work together for the good of those who love Him.  Just how they all work together may not be obvious to us, but that doesn't change the outcome.

As for your question...God has said that none can see Him and live, so a man claiming to be God would be obviously false, regardless of how he arrived in front of me, or else I'd be dead.     

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
Seeing as "even the Devil appears of an angel of light" you would weigh the decision against your God-given sense of morality at which point you would reason that a god of justice would never seek the arbitrary murder of an innocent person or order the execution of a guilty person without establishing a moral context; ergo the man claiming to be God is only a devil or a charlaton to be rebuked.

Welcome to Failville. Population: you.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
  • Revolution we can believe in!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 05:16:13 PM »

Why do you smite that which does not exist? 
I have a theory about militant atheists.  They rail against God and against those who believe in Him not because they think we're wrong, but because they're afraid we're right.  And they can't tolerate the idea of a power higher than themselves. 
This space for rent.