Author Topic: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive caught between a rock and a hard place  (Read 1123 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.org/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7255696

Oh my.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:28 PM
CANDIDATE FOR TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Original message

What will the poor White House do now that they're caught between Nelson and Sanders?

Giving in to Nelson may well cause Bernie (and some others) to jump off the boat. Nelson won't vote for cloture without more anti-choice crap and who knows what else.

The White House is in a very tight spot.

And frankly, I think it's in good part their own actions that put them there.

The primitive from earthquake-stricken southeastern Nebraska:

TwilightGardener  (1000+ posts)      Thu Dec-17-09 03:32 PM
Response to Original message

2. Some of it is the WH's fault--however, Ben Nelson comes out ahead in Nebraska by his opposition, the GOPers eat it up--it was just a matter of time before he did his song and dance. I don't see any way around this except reconciliation, really.

democrat_patriot (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:33 PM

3. They negotiate with Nelson who is a Democrat.

And throw Sanders (I) under the bus.

They do whatever they need to do to get a bill passed.

As long as it says Health Care Reform in the bill, or even in the title of the bill.

TwilightGardener  (1000+ posts)      Thu Dec-17-09 03:34 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Still not to 60 votes without Sanders, I don't think. They'd have to woo Snowe again.

Good luck with that.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:42 PM
Response to Reply #3

6. they can't get cloture without Bernie's vote. that makes it awfully hard to throw him under the bus.

Name removed (0 posts)      Thu Dec-17-09 03:44 PM

8. Deleted message

Message removed by moderator. Click here to review the message board rules.

It appears the Name removed primitive got on some nerves.

gratuitous  (1000+ posts)      Thu Dec-17-09 03:48 PM
Response to Reply #8

12. Nope, the Obama administration didn't do any of that

Perhaps, though, instead of telling us what the Obama administration didn't do in regards to the Senate, its members or its rules, just what has the administration done to make the Senate more representative? Poll after poll has shown very high support (over 60%) for a public option [sic], and even higher support [sic] for single payer. I don't recall seeing President Obama use his bully pulpit to reinforce these public wishes, to pressure recalcitrant Senators, or to indicate that crossing such a majority of the American people might have adverse electoral consequences.

dgibby  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:49 PM
Response to Reply #8

15. And I'm sick of you using the term "leftbagger".

It's nothing but flame bait, but you know that, don't you?

Kurt_and_Hunter  (1000+ posts)       Thu Dec-17-09 03:49 PM
Response to Reply #8

16. Since we're registering opinions, I'm sick of assholes who use terms like "leftbaggers"

rurallib  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:52 PM
Response to Reply #8

23. Think that leftbagger will get some traction?

dgibby  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:59 PM
Response to Reply #23

32. If it doesn't , it won't be from lack of him trying.

He's like a broken record.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:56 PM
Response to Reply #8

26. sod off. call me names and I will respond, honeypie.

listen up little kumquat, I don't take kindly to your brand of crap. so, sweetums, take it and shove it and shove it good and hard.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Oceander

Oooh, I just love to watch a 'RAT fight breaking out!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
I googled the single payer poll issue and here is what I found..

The only general polling group rather then targeted ones was Rasmussen (who of course the DUmmies despise because he is accurate and not instantly slanted dem).

From August...

32% Favor Single-Payer Health Care, 57% Oppose

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/august_2009/32_favor_single_payer_health_care_57_oppose

There was a site promising links to polls showing "broad based support" so checked it out also...

http://www.wpasinglepayer.org/PollResults.html

The first one shown is highlighted with this question.

Do you favor or oppose, "Having a national health plan in which all Americans would get their insurance through an expanded, universal form of Medicare-for all?"
Favor 58%, Oppose 38%, NA/DK 3%

However if you follow the link to the actual poll here is what it actually shows.

In other words,very deceiving.

Offline Oceander

A liberal being deceptive?

I am shocked, simply shocked!

Oh, wait, no, I'm not, that's par for the course now.  Just like with all the faked climategate data.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-17-09 03:28 PM
Original message

What will the poor White House do now that they're caught between Nelson and Sanders?

Giving in to Nelson may well cause Bernie (and some others) to jump off the boat. Nelson won't vote for cloture without more anti-choice crap and who knows what else.

The White House is in a very tight spot.

The White House's predicament pleases me.  **** 'em.

Isn't it time for that old carpetbagger Sanders to retire?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
The White House's predicament pleases me.  **** 'em.

When he dies, somebody needs to put a stake through his heart, bury him in a 13 foot hole with 6 feet of garlic on the casket, and place a 3 ton iron cross on the grave.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
One of the local news stations here was doing a promo about some guys getting fired for playing fantasy football.... turns out they were fired for gambling on fantasy football.. and this might look very bad for an investment firm. lol.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator

Jr. from Vermont's 80 years old now, take or leave a year.

I used to watch Jr. from Vermont when he was a congressman.

I of course couldn't hear a word he was saying, but body language, expressing relentless righteous indignation was fascinating.

The old guy could get righteously indignant at the tip of a hat.

The deal about Jr. from Vermont is that if you're in his neighborhood--say, within six feet of him--watch out, because Jr. from Vermont spittles and spattles a lot.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
When you represent a state that is famous for coddling pedophiles, public nudity and maple syrup, I guess that not much is really expected out of you.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Chris

• Administrator
He does resemble Barney Frank quite a bit.  Other than Frank's thpeech impediment and Sander's New Yawk accent, they do sound remarkably similar.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Re: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive caught between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:32 PM »
He does resemble Barney Frank quite a bit.  Other than Frank's thpeech impediment and Sander's New Yawk accent, they do sound remarkably similar.

Bernie's claim to fame was being mayor of Burlington. So you can thank all those transplanted New England elite college students.

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »
Isn't it time for several of these guys to drop dead of a heart attack from all this stress and pressure and overwork?  I saw a picture of Robert Byrd the other day.  Not only was he using a walker, he had an aid holding up each of his arms.  His hair needed cutting, and so did his fingernails.  Disgusting.  Why do any of these guys think that the world could just not continue if they were to retire? 

BTW Crock, I heard once that Burlington was the incest capital of America. 

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
Isn't it time for several of these guys to drop dead of a heart attack from all this stress and pressure and overwork?  I saw a picture of Robert Byrd the other day.  Not only was he using a walker, he had an aid holding up each of his arms.  His hair needed cutting, and so did his fingernails.  Disgusting.  Why do any of these guys think that the world could just not continue if they were to retire? 

BTW Crock, I heard once that Burlington was the incest capital of America. 

Cool...

We did just lose Jeffords, the party-switcher, either because of his own or his wife's failing health. I forget which. Bernie stepped up and vacated the Congressional seat to take Jeffords' senate seat. So time is moving along, just not as fast as we would like.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »
gratuitous  (1000+ posts)      Thu Dec-17-09 03:48 PM
Response to Reply #8

12. Nope, the Obama administration didn't do any of that

Perhaps, though, instead of telling us what the Obama administration didn't do in regards to the Senate, its members or its rules, just what has the administration done to make the Senate more representative? Poll after poll has shown very high support (over 60%) for a public option [sic], and even higher support [sic] for single payer. I don't recall seeing President Obama use his bully pulpit to reinforce these public wishes, to pressure recalcitrant Senators, or to indicate that crossing such a majority of the American people might have adverse electoral consequences.

I just have no idea where this comes from. Polls come out almost daily by a variety of polling orgs and none show a majority of support. There's nothing wrong with a principled stand, even if it's not popular but for a group that pretends to not care what anyone else thinks (at least since jr. high) they sure put stock in this kind of thing. Many on the right thought Iraq should be won even when the majority of the country thought otherwise. I was under no illusions about what the country thought.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
I just have no idea where this comes from. Polls come out almost daily by a variety of polling orgs and none show a majority of support. There's nothing wrong with a principled stand, even if it's not popular but for a group that pretends to not care what anyone else thinks (at least since jr. high) they sure put stock in this kind of thing. Many on the right thought Iraq should be won even when the majority of the country thought otherwise. I was under no illusions about what the country thought.

Cindie

I have seen polls where a majority think health care and insurance needs reformed, but none showing a majority want the public option.