Author Topic: primitives discuss Alabama; Pedro Picasso strives  (Read 420 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss Alabama; Pedro Picasso strives
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6907259

Oh my.

Her Stoutness the silly primitive:

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-02-09 08:43 AM
Original message

Alabama boasts lowest taxes in nation

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2009/11/alab...

MONTGOMERY -- Alabama residents and companies paid less in taxes than people and businesses in any other state in the 2007 fiscal year, based on total state and local taxes paid per resident, according to a review of U.S. Census Bureau reports. Even taking into account that incomes in Alabama were lower than in most of the country, people and companies here had a relatively low tax burden. Among the 50 states, Alabama had the third-lowest average state and local tax collections per person as a percentage of personal income. Relatively low taxes help attract businesses and retirees to the state, Gov. Bob Riley said.

after which a chart

But teachers' lobbyist Paul Hubbert said Alabama's relatively low taxes also limit governments' ability to provide good schools, roads and other services. Alabama's state and local governments collected an average of $2,909 in taxes per person in fiscal 2007, according the Census Bureau's most recent report on state and local taxes nationwide and its state population estimates for July 2007. Taxes tallied by the bureau included personal and corporate income taxes, sales taxes, fuel taxes and property taxes.

For the country, the median state and local taxes collected per person was $4,011; it was more in 25 states and less in 25 states. Alabama's state government and city, county and other local governments collected a total of $13.46 billion in taxes in fiscal 2007. That was $1,102 less in taxes per person than the 50-state median. If Alabama governments had gotten the median amount per person, they would have had an additional $5.1 billion.

Matter of pride

Riley said having relatively low taxes is good, "because it really does make a difference when we have people that are retirees moving into the state, when you look at different businesses that are looking at coming into the state." "Taxes will be a major part of that decision," he said. State Rep. Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn, said, "I think that's something we ought to take pride in, that we have low taxes." "I'm just not a big believer in the redistribution of wealth and taking from some and letting the government spend it," said Hubbard, who chairs the state Republican Party.

State Sen. Lowell Barron, D-Fyffe, said Alabamians like low taxes.

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-02-09 08:48 AM
Response to Original message

3. Oh boy, let's all strive to be like Alabama!

Among the lowest ranked in the nation -- if not THE lowest -- in nearly every category, from education to health care. We don't even have to mention Alabama's wonderful history in the area of race relations. Yeah, Alabama! Low taxes, and low just about everything else, too.

The bonfire moves from Alabama to Alaska:

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-02-09 09:07 AM
Response to Reply #7

15. It's pretty basic, really; fewer people in AK to carry the tax burden.

Now check out my state, Connecticut. Lots of people in an area that could fit into the back of Todd Palin's snow machine, yet we're way up there on the list. Now them's some taxes!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: primitives discuss Alabama; Pedro Picasso strives
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
I find it amazing how many people can't figure out that Alaska is AK.  Sure, I can see using it mistakenly for Arkansas (and have in Maxim Magazine, among other places), but Alabama?  There isn't even a K in the name!

Plus, Alaska would have to have the lowest tax burden of any state: no state income tax, no state sales tax, and they pay you to live there.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss Alabama; Pedro Picasso strives
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »
I find it amazing how many people can't figure out that Alaska is AK.  Sure, I can see using it mistakenly for Arkansas (and have in Maxim Magazine, among other places), but Alabama?  There isn't even a K in the name!

Plus, Alaska would have to have the lowest tax burden of any state: no state income tax, no state sales tax, and they pay you to live there.

The chart posted by Her Stoutness the silly primitive (not brought here, because it's an image, not text) shows Alaska as having the highest tax rate, and so the primitives switched from discussing Alabama to discussing Alaska.

I should have made that clearer, but at the time I couldn't think of a way.
apres moi, le deluge