Author Topic: Grandma announces impending decapitation of a rooster  (Read 1320 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Grandma announces impending decapitation of a rooster
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=268x2949

Oh my.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 11:39 AM
Original message

Tomorrow we harvest a rooster or three.

We have just been keeping chickens for eggs the past couple of years. We've always gotten them from a co-worker of my husband's who raised them. He decided he wasn't going to raise them anymore and get rid of his existing flock so we took five of them. Three of them have turned out to be roosters. At first it was only one of them that we found trying to crow. About three weeks ago, two others started crowing. It was kind of funny at first but them got to be really obnoxious and annoying. We knew we needed to get rid of them because we have too few hens, only nine, for that many roosters. The guy doesn't work there anymore and lives to far away to take them back to him and he doesn't have his flock anymore so no way to exchange them out for more hens.

Now, of course, they started mating the hens and they've picked on one so horribly she may not survive, so we separated all the roosters from the hens last night and are keeping them apart.

A guy I work with is supposed to buy two of the roosters but doesn't want the third. We are going to process the one tomorrow, and if he doesn't call me today, we'll process the other two, as well. My husband has field dressed small animals so it won't be as big a deal for him, but this will be my first time ever doing anything like this. It has to be done and I do feel it necessary to help him do it and be involved in the process.

This will be a totally new experience for me.

One hopes Grandma doesn't take it too hard.

lapfog_1  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 11:44 AM
Response to Original message

1. My dad grew up doing that (killing chickens for the family).

I never, and I mean never, ate chicken when I was growing up. I don't believe my dad ever ate chicken in his adult life.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 11:59 AM
Response to Reply #1

8. I'm thinking that I'll be okay with it. We'll see though. They might sit in the freezer for a while, tho.

I do love chicken so I'm thinking it won't be too long.

after which Grandma uses one of those smileys to wave at franksolich

Hmmm.  The old tightward skinflint hippie husband must've gotten Grandma that chest freezer after all.  It was probably like trying to open a clam with a wet paper towel, getting him to release the wallet.

The habitually lying Lorien primitive:

Lorien  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-31-09 12:04 PM
Response to Reply #1

15. A friend of mine has two pet roosters. One of them is crazy about me

he follows me everywhere when I visit them. If I go in the house he'll beat himself against the windows until they allow him inside. Then he curls up in my lap like a cat and makes happy, soft clucking sounds. I lost my taste for chicken after that.

Inspired  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-31-09 11:46 AM

2. I remember when this was done on my grandparents farm.

It was so gross! But I still love chicken.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 12:00 PM
Response to Reply #2

9. I'm not expecting it to be pretty, but still feel I need to do it.

The mike_c primitive:

mike_c  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 11:52 AM

3. yum, REAL coc au vin...

...with a long simmered, tough old rooster in the pot!

Siwsan (226 posts)      Sat Oct-31-09 11:55 AM

7. Here's my rooster story

Many years ago, my grandfather raised "fighting" roosters. He had one prize rooster that had, apparently, won him a nice amount of money. (As an aside and disclaimer, I do not, in any sense of the word, condone this sort of activity. This was during the depression and people had a different outlook on such activities.)

Anyway, he had been training the rooster, and had not yet taken off its spurs. The rooster was in the yard, as was my grandmother, who bent over to do something. Apparently, her hind end was too tempting of a target for the rooster, who sprang into action and sank his spurs into her butt.

She grabbed the rooster, wrang its neck and they feasted on roasted rooster, that night. That was the end of grandpa's rooster fighting career.

The unfrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 01:50 PM
Response to Reply #7

33. My grandmother kept a flock of chickens in the back yard and harvested the roosters for the occasional Sunday dinner, so there were always a few around.

My dad's favorite thing on his way home from school was to stop by the pen and try to pee on the roosters. (yeah, teenager from hell)

One day he got just a little too close to the fence and a rooster grabbed his you know what with a foot.

Needless to say, my dad treated them with just a little more respect after that.

As for dispatching the roosters, my grandmother was a wringer. Once the rooster had ceased moving, she'd hang it up on the clothesline by the feet and clip the head off, allowing the blood to drain into the garden.

Plucking isn't the most pleasant activity in the world, but it's not going to ruin your day. Feathers can be washed inside a stitched pillowcase, spread out to dry, and kept for pillow or quilt stuffing.

It's a reasonably big bonfire, and then the Fat Che in the punchbowl plops up:

Big Blue Marble  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 02:24 PM

36. Isn't strange how sensitivity works?

If you announced on DU that you were killing your dog because he had behavioral problems, DU'ers would be horrified.

But because he is a rooster, you get tips for efficient killing and jokes about killing.

Is the rooster less sentient or does he have less of a right to live than your dog? Not really, we humans just arbitrarily decide.

Grandma tries to be nice about it:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 02:27 PM
Response to Reply #36

37. Well, I'm also an omnivore and eat chicken.

We don't eat a whole lot of meat but we aren't vegetarian, either. So it's not like it's being killed arbitrarily. We were supposed to have all hens so it wouldn't come to this. But for the sake of the hens, it has to be done. And dogs aren't used for food, not around here anyway. We are going to harvest him as humanely as is possible. We don't approach this lightly, either, so we want to make sure it is done properly and responsibly.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Grandma announces impending decapitation of a rooster
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Have done this for years whether it was as a kid watching my father with chickens here on the farm or lately wild turkeys.

With a rooster you chop off the head with a hatchet and let it flail (the saying about running around like a chicken with its head cut off is very accurate).
After it bleeds out you scald it in almost boiling water which makes it easy to pluck the feathers.

At that point you cut into it from both ends and extract the innards saving the heart and liver.
My father always saved out the gizzard or crop and ate that too but I never did.

The last step is to roll up some newspaper and light it and then flash it around the bird to singe off any pin feathers.

Cook or roast as desired from there.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »
The last step is to roll up some newspaper and light it and then flash it around the bird to singe off any pin feathers.

My dad always used a propane torch for the pin feathers, and a machete for lopping off the head.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »
There is a couple here in Vermont that has a website on raising chickens. They have a fairly unique way of slaughtering that is less messy, though not thoroughly efficient.

They order 50 chicks every year from a hatchery, and in the fall, pick out their dozen best layers, and slaughter the rest.

After beheading and bleeding, they skin the birds, fillet the breast meat, cut off the legs/thighs, and throw away the rest of the carcass without ever opening the abdominal cavity.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
Did anyone catch the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike goes to a game processor?  They had a rotating drum with rubber strips on it that slapped the feathers off the birds.  It worked pretty well and would skin a bird in a minute.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
Did anyone else know that baby chickens turn into roosters and have to try at it?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
Big Blue Marble  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 02:24 PM

36. Isn't strange how sensitivity works?

If you announced on DU that you were killing your dog because he had behavioral problems, DU'ers would be horrified.

But because he is a rooster, you get tips for efficient killing and jokes about killing.

Is the rooster less sentient or does he have less of a right to live than your dog? Not really, we humans just arbitrarily decide.
Yes, liberals are hypocrites.  Thank you for taking the time to notice. :lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »

Cook or roast as desired from there.

I did the same except for the last part there with the pin feathers.

Learn something new every day if you just stop and listen.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
With a rooster you chop off the head with a hatchet and let it flail (the saying about running around like a chicken with its head cut off is very accurate).
After it bleeds out you scald it in almost boiling water which makes it easy to pluck the feathers.

Use a big wash tub and throw the bird under it and let it drop. Saves all that "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" nonsense. Also, the dogs and the kids don't freak out as much. Lol!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »
Use a big wash tub and throw the bird under it and let it drop. Saves all that "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" nonsense. Also, the dogs and the kids don't freak out as much. Lol!

I remember being about 4 years old and my father and grandfather butchering some chickens....

It didn't freak me out to see them flopping around without heads, in fact, I thought it was downright funny....

But then, I was only 4....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
I remember being about 4 years old and my father and grandfather butchering some chickens....

It didn't freak me out to see them flopping around without heads, in fact, I thought it was downright funny....

But then, I was only 4....

In my time the legs were tied together  bird hung from the clothes line before the head was removed, one fast slash from a sharp knife.  Bloody mess.

I find something a bit strange about the story, never have I heard of a coop of chickens having more then ONE Rooster.   

I have also been amazed at storeys about the Rooster dieing and one of the Hens would turn into a Rooster.  Never saw this myself but farmers from most anywhere swear by this.

Speaking of birds, Pepere hunted Pheasant and Partridge, Mm ere had a tea cup at each plate just in case we needed to spit a piece of shot into it.
  Don't swallow the shot, it will get caught in your appendix.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
Just after my dad got out of the Navy, we were renting a 1-acre rural place, where we raised livestock to supplement dad's income while he and mom were going to college. 

Dad's day would consist of arising at about 05:30 to start us on the farming chores; he'd be out of the house at about 06:15 for his 07:00 classes; his last class would conclude around noon, and dad would come home, have some lunch and then head off to the Naval Undersea Warfare Center at Keyport at about 14:30 for the swing shift; dad would get home from work at about midnight and do homework until about 02:00 before finally getting some sack time.

One Friday night, dad had just finished his homework for the night, and was climbing into bed, when the chickens started crowing outside.  And they kept crowing.  And crowed some more.  And dad could not get to sleep through the crowing, no matter what he tried.

So, when we arose at 05:30 Saturday morning to do the morning chores, we headed out back to find a string of 7 or 8 dead chickens dangling from the fence, and dad slaughtering the next one.  You never met a group of kids more sick of eating chicken by the time we finished off that stack of 'em.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »
Just after my dad got out of the Navy, we were renting a 1-acre rural place, where we raised livestock to supplement dad's income while he and mom were going to college. 

Dad's day would consist of arising at about 05:30 to start us on the farming chores; he'd be out of the house at about 06:15 for his 07:00 classes; his last class would conclude around noon, and dad would come home, have some lunch and then head off to the Naval Undersea Warfare Center at Keyport at about 14:30 for the swing shift; dad would get home from work at about midnight and do homework until about 02:00 before finally getting some sack time.

One Friday night, dad had just finished his homework for the night, and was climbing into bed, when the chickens started crowing outside.  And they kept crowing.  And crowed some more.  And dad could not get to sleep through the crowing, no matter what he tried.

So, when we arose at 05:30 Saturday morning to do the morning chores, we headed out back to find a string of 7 or 8 dead chickens dangling from the fence, and dad slaughtering the next one.  You never met a group of kids more sick of eating chicken by the time we finished off that stack of 'em.

Heh, heh! One of the reasons we don't raise poultry. The main one being chickenshit! The damn things crap all over the place!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »

Lucky  for your dad, it was just a rooster  Crowing.

I lived for a few years on a farm in Tenn., crazy lady up the road a piece raised PEACOCKS.

Those SOB flew off at times to sit outside neighbors homes 5-10 miles away.

If you had a good size tree in the yard, the females would build a big nest way up in the top.  

Now I expect the crazy lady was a Yankee who hated living in the south and had found a way to drive everyone start raving mad.

I had no idea that Peacocks could live in that climate untill one early morning after the Rooster had heralded the coming dawn, I was awakened by these screams ----Help--Help.

WTF------sure got me up real fast.     I finally found using my binoculars one of those darn birds sitting on a fence post way off in the field.

Now I have no idea if the female yells because the only time I actually saw the bird making a racket it was a male.

These darn things would come into the barn yard looking for chicken feed and hang about if they found it.

My motherin-law lived about a foot ball field from me and she hated Yankees--both her sons had disappointed her by marring from the north and she let everyone know how she felt about that state of affairs.

My sister-in-law would visit with Hubby's brother once a week and she and I would go out the back door and sneak into the barn with a gallon jug to fill with chicken feed and spread it behind the barn so the Peacocks would stay.

Came down to female cat fight, Sherriff got called in and it went into a stand off, Crazy Lady would get rid of her Peacocks if everyone else got rid of their Roosters.

Shame I couldn't stay to watch the show, I had to come home as my father was not to live much longer.  

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
The foul deed is done:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun Nov-01-09 11:36 AM

40. It's done.

We gave the two red ones away yesterday and just finished butchering the white and black one. It's soaking in ice water.

We did fine, but glad we don't have to do this every day.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
Heh, heh! One of the reasons we don't raise poultry. The main one being chickenshit! The damn things crap all over the place!

Done right though, chicken guano is higher in nitrates than almost any other source, and rich enough for making nitric acid from.

You probably don't want to know how I know this...  :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Done right though, chicken guano is higher in nitrates than almost any other source, and rich enough for making nitric acid from.

Bat guano is better for those purposes isn't it?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »
Bat guano is better for those purposes isn't it?

Probably, but how readily accessible is it?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Probably, but how readily accessible is it?

Very accessible, if a little expensive.  http://www.homeharvest.com/guano.htm

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

That would all be well and good, if I could get the nasty critters to poop in one place, but they have a tendency to crap all over the frikkin' place! "Toots" kinda has an adversion to me trackin' in poop from the yard!