Author Topic: primitives discuss eating breakfast at suppertime  (Read 1625 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss eating breakfast at suppertime
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x70258

Oh my.

The Bayer aspirin primitive, who uses a smiley to wave at franksolich:

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 08:52 PM
Original message

Breakfast for dinner? Who likes it and what do you like to have?

I am thinking of making some banana pancakes and sausages for dinner. Maybe cut up my last apple and have some peanut butter available.

As I am not a morning eater (at all), I really like to do this once in awhile.

How about you?

auntAgonist  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 09:02 PM
Response to Original message

1. I do a bit of a combo ..

I like potato pancakes with eggs over easy, bacon or sausage and home made biscuits.

OR, the potato pancakes with biscuits and sausage gravy .. carbs!! calories!!! FAT .. I don't care

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 09:07 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I love, love, love biscuits and gravy. Hmm...

I could make a sausage gravy instead of just cooking the sausages.

I also love potato pancakes, but usually only do that when I have leftover mashed potatoes.

I had healthy tuna for lunch, so I don't care about the carbs and fat tonight!

The Bayer aspirin primitive waves at franksolich again.

housewolf  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 09:33 PM

3. I love breakfast any time of day, and often for dinner

Last night I had bacon and french toast. My favorites are usually bacon or sausage with french toast or waffles along with a scrambled egg, or biscuits & gravy. Pretty simple. But wonderful!

Banana pancakes and sausage sounds teriffic! I'll be right over....

The wired gassy primitive, from that farmette up over there in Wisconsin:

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 10:46 PM

5. I would be happy with scrambled eggs several nights a week.

Alas, I cook for more than myself.

Lefta Dissenter  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 11:08 PM

6. I'd love some breakfast right about now...or lunch or dinner.

I'm having that most delightful of days tomorrow - my first colonoscopy!

Soooo, the prep is done (that was delightful) , and I'm just hoping I can fall asleep soon.

I've been craving mashed potatoes all evening, though. Funny how even just a day without eating brings out my need for comfort food.

Grandma:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 08:47 AM
Response to Reply #6

10. Today will be a breeze!

You're already done with the hard part. Hope you have good results.

Hmmm.  Grandma forgot to wave at franksolich.

One wonders what's up with that.

The unfrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 01:00 AM

7. I don't like breakfast food for breakfast and cream cheese on a bagel is as fancy as I ever get. I'm just not a morning person and only force myself to eat something so my pills won't chew holes in my gut.

However, I do like pancakes for supper, especially savory pancakes with either flavored sour cream (chipotle is a f**e) or a cream sauce. It's a really nice way to use up extra v*g for a super cheap and filling supper.

Paper Roses  (229 posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 06:20 AM

8. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast fits the bill for dinner for me.

I never eat breakfast, just an early lunch to carry me over. Breakfast food at night is fine. Sometimes I make made hash browns with the eggs. I don't understand why the foods we have for breakfast should not be just fine during the rest of the day.

I used to travel a lot and if I saw a sign in an eatery window that advertised breakfast all day, I'd pull in and have dinner there.

japple  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 07:39 AM

9. Grits with cheese, bacon or sausage on the side, home fries with peppers and onions, thick slices of toasted whole grain bread, lots of butter.

Now, why ruin perfectly good food with peppers and onions?

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 08:48 AM

11. Omelet.

With spinach, onion, mushrooms, cheddar and feta cheeses with toast. That's about as breakfasty as Bill will let me get at dinner. Myself, I can eat anything regardless of the time of day.

Whew.  Grandma remembered to wave at franksolich this time, so she's not angry with him after all.

Arkansas Granny  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 09:53 AM

12. I don't eat in the morning, so I enjoy just about any breakfast food for supper.

One of my favorites is biscuits and gravy. My kids used to think it was such a treat to have breakfast for dinner. With 4 kids and myself to get ready for work and school, most breakfasts were hot cereal, so every now and then I'd fix a full breakfast meal for supper and they just loved it.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:08 PM
Response to Reply #12

13. I used to make biscuits and gravy when I first got married. I really had to work at getting it right, too. Then I had to stop making it because we weren't worth a damn the rest of the day ater eating it.

buzzycrumbhunger  (749 posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 01:12 PM

14. One of our favorite treats

Tofu scrambler (homemade), oatmeal pancakes (with real maple syrup--these suckers FILL YOU UP), and soysage (those Morningstar Farms deals will do). Makes you just want to crawl into bed early and think warm thoughts. 

We used to get the boxed tofu scrambler, but then they changed the seasonings and it wasn't as good, so I figured out what to put in and it's good enough to eat all on its own--hot or cold:

1 lb firm tofu
a couple fistsful of rolled oats (maybe half a cup?)
a good scoop of nutritional yeast (1/4 c? This gives a cheesy richness.)
a couple T flax seed
turmeric
onion powder
sea salt

Brown the tofu in some olive oil (we like it fairly brown), then stir in the rest. Snuck this to my mom on her last visit and she thought it was the best scrambled eggs she'd ever had.

We don't really eat breakfast often, but this is often a weekend brunch (when we might only eat one big meal) or dinner. Best of all, it's all good cold, and if I make a double batch of pancakes, they heat up well for breakfast or snacks all week.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 02:08 PM

15. The "want anything special for dinner"

question brought this response this morning--

"don't we have a little salmon to use up? I know you like to make omelets"...

a little goat cheese - dill - maybe a slice of bacon on the side - yikes! it's 2:00 I'd better get the bread started

And finally, here's another onionaholic:

Fire1  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 02:22 PM

16. Thanks for bringing that up. Think I'll have potatoes and onions with sage sausage patties and left over fried chicken! Y*m.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: primitives discuss eating breakfast at suppertime
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »
Why else would IHOP and Waffle House be open 24 hours a day?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
Have these people never heard of IHOP?

Since when is there a question if you can have breakfast at certain times of day??

duh.

It's still a semi-free country

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:40 PM »
I'm going to make Eggs Benedict and Skillet Potatoes & Onions for dinner tonight.  It's not unusual. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »
Now, why ruin perfectly good food with peppers and onions?

Because it's really, really, good. Try potatoes O'Brien sometime.   :drool:

http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-And-More/RecDetail.aspx?rid=2
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
Once upon a time, I had a boyfriend who detested onions.  Really loathed them and was suspicious that a dish might contain trace elements of onion.  I knew that we were doomed, because I cannot live a life free of onion. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Once upon a time, I had a boyfriend who detested onions.  Really loathed them and was suspicious that a dish might contain trace elements of onion.  I knew that we were doomed, because I cannot live a life free of onion. 

People who don't eat onions have a short lifespan, so you would have been a young widow anyway.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
Love the avatar Frank!     :rotf:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
My favorite breakfast for dinner is eggs over easy, grits, and bacon.  I cook that up and the entire family is sitting at the table by the time it gets there.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

It's nice of Frank to use that, but really, that was before my heart attack.  I've shaved the beard off since then.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
I don't think I've ever even perused the lunch/dinner menu at Cracker Barrel. I can eat breakfast any time of the day.....especially Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole. Dammit, now I'm hungry. If I weren't on Kid Patrol today I'd be on my way there now.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »

I think he photoshopped me somehow. I am not as big as the Jupiter-sized primitive.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
I don't think I've ever even perused the lunch/dinner menu at Cracker Barrel. I can eat breakfast any time of the day.....especially Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole. Dammit, now I'm hungry. If I weren't on Kid Patrol today I'd be on my way there now.

Does Cracker Barrel serve lunch or dinner?  I thought it was breakfast all the time.  I want some Hash Brown Casserole too.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »

Hmmmmm, did I date you? I hate, hate, hate, the damn things! Most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth! "Toots" luvs 'em though. She has always made two different dishes when her recipes call for onions. We're pretty used to the arangement after 35 years. I refuse to kiss her until that blasted odor has disapated from her breath!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »
Does Cracker Barrel serve lunch or dinner?  I thought it was breakfast all the time.  I want some Hash Brown Casserole too.

Now I'm hungry. Hashbrown casserole is a side dish at Cracker Barrel, but you can get two sides. A double order of hashbrown casserole with Uncle Herschel's breakfast is better than anything I can remember my grandmother making.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »
Now I'm hungry. Hashbrown casserole is a side dish at Cracker Barrel, but you can get two sides. A double order of hashbrown casserole with Uncle Herschel's breakfast is better than anything I can remember my grandmother making.

God Bless Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole.  With some eggs, and a side of bacon please.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
Had a closing this morning and went with my clients to IHop after.....2 eggs over easy, hashbrowns, bacon and 2 pumpkin pancakes with butter pecan syrup.

It was lovely and went a loooooong way to counteract last night's excessive amount of pomegranate martinis... :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »
I ate lunch at Cracker Barrel yesterday.  I had the chicken salad sandwich with steak fries and a "sample of slaw".  

It was good stuff.  

For those confused, Cracker Barrel is a full service restaurant which serves breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  They have rotating lunch and dinner specials everyday of the week.  Example, they make a good meat loaf, which is Tuesday's.  Their chicken & dumplings is so-so, which is Thursday's (?).  Their breakfasts are superior everyday.  

Cracker Barrel is also an "old fashion" store (separate from the dining room) which serves at the entry and waiting area.  The merchandise can be unique and pricey.  They have a lot of old tyme candies, perserves, mixes, sauces, and such plus clothing, seasonal knick-knacks, and toys.  You can find music CDs and movies too.  

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »
I ate lunch at Cracker Barrel yesterday.  I had the chicken salad sandwich with steak fries and a "sample of slaw".  

It was good stuff.  

For those confused, Cracker Barrel is a full service restaurant which serves breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  They have rotating lunch and dinner specials everyday of the week.  Example, they make a good meat loaf, which is Tuesday's.  Their chicken & dumplings is so-so, which is Thursday's (?).  Their breakfasts are superior everyday.  

Cracker Barrel is also an "old fashion" store (separate from the dining room) which serves at the entry and waiting area.  The merchandise can be unique and pricey.  They have a lot of old tyme candies, perserves, mixes, sauces, and such plus clothing, seasonal knick-knacks, and toys.  You can find music CDs and movies too.  

I like their breakfasts anytime....and they have an apple thing for dessert that really  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
I found the only 24-hour IHOP in the area a short drive to the interstate (my regular IHOP changed their hours).  Now I think I'll go order their two pancake breakfast.  I tried the three pancake breakfast last time I was there, but it was just too much food.

Congrats, deb.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
It was lovely and went a loooooong way to counteract last night's excessive amount of pomegranate martinis... :thatsright:

I bought a pomegranate a few weeks ago, mainly to cut it open and see what's inside. It tasted okay, but way too much trouble for what you get. I doubt I'll buy another -- or put anything but gin and a few drops of vermouth in a martini!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
I bought a pomegranate a few weeks ago, mainly to cut it open and see what's inside. It tasted okay, but way too much trouble for what you get. I doubt I'll buy another -- or put anything but gin and a few drops of vermouth in a martini!

I prefer GreyGoose dirty martinis. However....I was with my runnin' buddy, and she had had the pomegranate martinis at the place we went to. I said sure. We stopped in for 1 drink at 4:30.

Those little puppies went down really well....we each had 7....they were small.  :uhsure:

It took a while (6 hrs) to settle out the problems of the world..... :clueless:

Her house was just down the street....so she drove there. My other half came to pick me up at her house. He no longer drinks (over 3.5yrs sober  :bow:)...he laughed at me.  :therock:

I was up at 6 yesterday morning.....by the time I ate "brunch" with my clients @ 11....I was in serious need of food.

Offline Karin

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
Well, anyway Debk, you got some powerful antioxidants in.  Congrats on the closing!

We have a Cracker Barrell just about 3 miles from home.  It's always PACKED with Canadians, the parking lot is always full, so we've never been!  Now I think I need to elbow some Canadians out of the way and go try it. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
Well, anyway Debk, you got some powerful antioxidants in.  Congrats on the closing!

We have a Cracker Barrell just about 3 miles from home.  It's always PACKED with Canadians, the parking lot is always full, so we've never been!  Now I think I need to elbow some Canadians out of the way and go try it. 

Best time to hit Cracker Barrell ...at least around here....is "odd" times. Mid-morning, mid-afternoon -like between 1:30-4, and after 7pm. Except on Sunday....then just avoid it! It's busy all day long on Sundays. We have 4 or 5 here in town.