Author Topic: primitives discuss cheese pumpkins  (Read 451 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss cheese pumpkins
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x70278

Oh my.

TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:54 PM
Original message

I am now the proud owner of a gallon or so of pumpkin glop...sitting in the fridge after cooking and mashing 15 pounds of cheese pumpkin and other squashes. And I burned out one cheap stick blender in the process.

(Now to get the energy for the pies, the muffins, the bread...)

Okay, what is a "stick blender"?

ginnyinWI  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 02:44 PM
Response to Original message

1. what is a cheese pumpkin?

I've heard of pie pumpkins and regular ones.

I'd be freezing that stuff in 16 oz containers and use it for pie, muffins, breads, whatever!

I have two pie pumpkins which will become puree right after Halloween (don't tell them--they are so cute and innocent out on my porch).

The best way to process pumpkin or other things like cooked apples or tomatoes is with a regular old Foley food mill. It is metal with a crank and holes in the bottom for the puree to be caught in a bowl underneath. No electricity required.

after which a photograph of a pot with a handle on it

The defrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:53 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. And after a typical pumpkin crop, you'll end up with muscles like Popeye. They do separate out the fibrous stuff from the glop you put into pies, breads and muffins, though. The immersion blender just chops it up and leaves it in.

TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 03:58 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. It's usually biege colored and looks like a flattened pumpkin...averaging maybe 5-8 pounds or so. One of my favorites for baking, soups, and general eating.

after which a photograph of miniature purple pumpkins

I know about the food mill, but it's another kitchen gadget I'm trying to avoid getting-- I've managed to collect three food processors, a Magic Bullet, two blenders, and some other gadgets. With all that, and the ricers, spaetzle press, potato mashers... I doubt I'd use it more than once a year. The hand blender I use all the time, I just keep buying cheap ones.

(Next week I break down and get the KitchenAid blending stick.)

Okay, what is a "blending stick"?

ginnyinWI  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 05:26 PM
Response to Reply #3

6. I use my food mill mainly for applesauce.

We have apple trees. Also for processing garden tomatoes into sauce for the freezer. And the odd pumpkin, of course. Anything that has seeds or fiber that needs to be screened out. One thing about a Foley--it's the last one you will ever need to buy. Lasts a lifetime.

CrispyQ  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 04:46 PM
Response to Original message

4. I burned out my frickin' VitaMix.

Can you believe that? The Cadillac of blenders & I burnt it out making pesto, of all things. Arghh!

I've never heard of cheese pumpkins, but I would love to try a slice of your pumpkin pie!

TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 05:01 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. I never write down recipes, so I always forget what I did last time...but I seem to remember coconut milk worked last year.

This time I take notes and make various little tartlet things in the muffin tins until I get it right.

Someone mentioned pumpkin sauce, as in pasta sauce, over the weekend and I found an old Gourmet mag recipe. I'm making that tonight.

And something reminded me of pumpkin ravioli while I was looking for a pumpkin sauce recipe...

Gawd, I love the squashes! If you can find some cheese pumpkins by you, get them-- they are one of my favorites. To me, they have all the subtle flavors of butternut, but more pronounced.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitives discuss cheese pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
I'm sure this is a more expensive one than the DUmmie is referring to.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FNAi7RfnL._SL500_.jpg