Author Topic: primitives discuss library censorship  (Read 614 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss library censorship
« on: October 27, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6867630

Oh my.

The crooked tale primitive.

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:10 PM
Original message

Library complains of crossed-out curses

COLUMBIA, Tenn., Oct. 27 (UPI) -- Workers at a Tennessee library said someone has been using blue ink to completely scratch out curse words from books in the collection.

Maury County Library director Elizabeth Potts said dozens of books have been discovered with blue ink marks where profanities used to be, including what she referred to as an "f-word" in the "9/11 Commission Report," The Daily Herald, Columbia, Tenn., reported Tuesday.

Employees estimated 50-100 books have been targeted by the language-cleansing vandal.

"It bothers me because nobody is holding a gun to their head making them read these books," Potts said. "If they don't like them, they should just return them."

"This person is evidently offended by these words," she said. "I'm more offended by (the suspect)."

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/10/27/Library-complain...

dysfunctional press  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 03:13 PM
Response to Original message

1. they should check-out the check-out stats for all those books...and look for a common name.

but then- the person could be doing it on the shelves, or at a carrel, without checking them out.

Lars39  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 03:16 PM

2. I've got a fundy nutjob SIL who did this.

I think she limits her reading now to only religious books and the bible, though.

damntexdem  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:40 PM
Response to Reply #2

6. The Bible? Doesn't she find plenty in there to cross out? 

A lot of sex and violence, and a bit of cursing, in there.

madinmaryland  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:19 PM

3. My maternal ancestors came from Maury County.

There are none left there now, and I haven't been there in more than 35 years.

That is bizarre. I suppose that could happen anywhere, though. Whackadoodles seem to be everywhere.

gratuitous  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 03:31 PM

4. If the books have been checked out, should be easy enough to trace

If someone's wielding their little blue pen in the library itself, the staff should keep an eye peeled. This is vandalism, plain and simple, every bit as offensive as taggers marking buildings and fences that don't belong to them. The offending party should be apprehended and required to pay for every book defaced. This is just ****ed up.

MineralMan  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:32 PM

5. We had one of those at the library where I used to volunteer. 

I did the detective work, and discovered who it was. We then watched the next books that patron checked out, and, sure enough, it was him.

A visit from the Sheriff's department got the message across and he never darkened the library door again. Creepy guy, too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitives discuss library censorship
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Someone want to burn a mole?
’Ex-Gays’ Say Their Books Kept Out of Libraries, Cry Censorship
Religious opponents of gays and lesbians say that with prayer and counseling, it’s possible to "convert" to heterosexuality. But credible mental health professionals broadly reject such claims, and worry that so-called "reparative" or "conversion" therapies could be damaging, rather than beneficial.

"Ex-gays" also claim that books on the subject of such "reparative" therapies are conspicuously missing from libraries in public schools; the reason, they say, is due to censorship of their message that gays and lesbians can choose to become straight.

An Oct. 22 Fox News item reported that a support groups for individuals who claim to have been converted to heterosexuality--the Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX)--claim that books advocating for the "curing" of gays are being systematically excluded from book collections at school libraries.
http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=98109

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »
What bunch of morons hides the books of conservatives?

What political party wanted to ban Ann Coulter's latest booki?

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Leftists have always been in favor of banning conservative books.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
These are the assholes who cheer on people hiding Glenn Beck's book at Walmart.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
Maury County is south of Nashville.....also home to Spring Hill....where Saturn auto plant is located.

Wasn't it the liberals who wanted Tom Sawyer, Uncle Tom's Cabin and Diary of Anne Frank banned.....because they weren't politically correct?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.