Author Topic: primitives take the pledge  (Read 552 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives take the pledge
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6865455

Oh my.

More credit-card jamboozles from the primitives, one of their favorite topics:

Faryn Balyncd (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:26 AM
Original message

Will you pledge to stop doing business with any credit card which institutes an annual fee?

Perhaps these bankers would benefit from receiving a few million telephone calls to their Customer Service lines from paying customers who inform them that their business will immediately cease if they choose to institute such fees.

michreject  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:29 AM
Response to Original message

1. No

You would have to pay it off or have a outstanding debt when applying for a new card.

spoony  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:30 AM

2. Is there a list of them?

I'd be more than happy to dump such sleazy companies.

Uben  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:31 AM

3. Yes

I do not need credit, so I damned sure am not going to pay for the priviledge of having it. I have exellent credit as a result of my actions, not theirs!

Blue_Tires  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:37 AM

4. i would eventually...

T Wolf (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:38 AM

5. ALready cancelled one card that pulled this shit. "Warning" the other two (Visa & Disc) also sounds like a good idea.

There MUST BE consequences for actions, or we get more rethug policies put in place.

peace frog  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:49 AM

6. Amex has charged an annual fee every year for the 23 years I've had the card. However they DO remove the fee when I request it, particularly when I remind them of how much money I make for them every year. Works like a charm.

dixiegrrrrl  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:51 AM

7. I pay a small fee for a local bank card. Interest rate has never changed.

20.00 a year, 9.9% interest ( I never have a balance).

Have had the card since 1995. Any problems, I call the bank here in town.

Use it for online purchases.

So, for that, I have no objections.

My Citi card, OTOH, if they screw around with me, I will cut up.

Yeah, I bet you will.

ecstatic  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:53 AM

8. Some people can't afford to see their credit scores drop if they are in the process of getting a new job (many employers check credit now), buying a new car or home. Closing a long time credit card lowers your credit score (fyi).

That being said, anyone who doesn't want a card anymore should close it.

Saturday (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 11:46 AM

9. My CC upped my minimum payment....from 2% to 5%. I already told them after it's paid off it's bye bye to them.

Now, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute here.

That minimum payment uppage was mandated by the federal government, not the credit-card companies.  It was in fact the last thing the credit-card companies wanted.

It was instituted because primitives ran up high balances on their credit-card accounts, and with minimum payments of only 2% a month, it would take the primitives generations to pay them off.

With minimum payments of 5% of the account balance, it takes only a couple of decades to pay it all off.

It was for the primitives' own good, upping the minimum payment.

subterranean (793 posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:43 PM

10. They'd probably be happy if I did.

I pay my bill in full every month, and never carry a balance. They hate deadbeat customers like me.

Dreamer Tatum  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:49 PM

11. No

dionysus  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:52 PM

12. hell yeah. any card with an annual fee would be closed out.

I bet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitives take the pledge
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
I don't see the DUmmies placing the blame where it lies, on congress.  Most of the things that credit card companies are doing are direct results of the consumer protection law they passed earlier this year.  What doesn't stem from that can be traced to the financial crisis which can be traced to the democrats also.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »
Jeez, it wasn't that long ago that charging an annual fee was standard practice for credit card companies.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Jeez, it wasn't that long ago that charging an annual fee was standard practice for credit card companies.

Correct....and where does this DUmmie get the idea that cancelling a long-term credit card lowers your credit score?  Actually I recently cancelled a card with a 50 k credit limit (that was never used) , and replaced it with one that has a 5 k line, and our score went up quite a bit.......not that we have any problems with our credit score......I think that the bureaus rate on the total amount of credit that you have available to you (among other elements)......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »
Doc, it has something to do with having just the right level of credit available to you, as seen on a credit report.  It's boring and complicated. 

Hey Frank, I like your imitation of Arlen Specter! 

Now, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute here.

Except you need more.  Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute now wait a minute wait a minute Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute now wait a minute wait a minute

(He did this at his fiery town hall meeting in August, as he was completely losing control). 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
Doc, it has something to do with having just the right level of credit available to you, as seen on a credit report.  It's boring and complicated. 

Hey Frank, I like your imitation of Arlen Specter! 

Except you need more.  Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute now wait a minute wait a minute Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute now wait a minute wait a minute

(He did this at his fiery town hall meeting in August, as he was completely losing control). 

But I was doing that before Arlen Specter ever thought of it.

My posting history proves it; I've been doing it for years.
apres moi, le deluge