Author Topic: President Obama won’t talk climate change in Copenhagen  (Read 754 times)

Offline thundley4

President Obama won’t talk climate change in Copenhagen
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
President Obama will almost certainly not travel to the Copenhagen climate change summit in December and may instead use his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech to set out US environmental goals, The Times has learnt.

With healthcare reform clogging his domestic agenda and no prospect of a comprehensive climate treaty in Copenhagen, Mr Obama may disappoint campaigners and foreign leaders, including Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband, who have urged him to attend to boost the hopes of a breakthrough.

The White House would not comment on Mr Obama’s travel plans yesterday, but administration officials have said privately that “Oslo is plenty close” — a reference to the Nobel ceremony that falls on December 10, two days into the Copenhagen meeting.

The White House confirmed that the President would be in Oslo to accept the prize, but a source close to the Administration said it was “hard to see the benefit” of his going to Copenhagen if there was no comprehensive deal for him to close or sign. Another expert, who did not want to be named, said he would be “really, really shocked” if Mr Obama went to Copenhagen, adding that European hopes about the power of his Administration to transform the climate change debate in a matter of months bore little relation to reality. The comprehensive climate change treaty that for years has been the goal of the Copenhagen conference was now an “unrealistic” prospect, Yvo de Boer, the UN official guiding the process, said last week.
TimesOnline

It seems that if 0Bama can't grandstand and sign another treaty harmful to the US, then it's not worth the time to attend.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: President Obama won’t talk climate change in Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »
All I can say is, it's a good thing Clinton ain't president anymore with all the trips to Copenhagen.  Dude would be eyeballs deep in hookers and cheeba.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »
All I can say is, it's a good thing Clinton ain't president anymore with all the trips to Copenhagen.  Dude would be eyeballs deep in hookers and cheeba.

:devious: And to think all this time I thought it was Amsterdam that had all the fun? LOL
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:21:34 AM »
Both, although Copenhagen to a much lesser extent.  However, you would be (more) correct.  My bad.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford