Author Topic: Rich Germans demand higher taxes - BBC  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Rich Germans demand higher taxes - BBC
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
GCP  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Oct-24-09 12:48 PM
Original message
Rich Germans demand higher taxes - BBC

Edited on Sat Oct-24-09 12:48 PM by GCP
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8321967.stm

A group of rich Germans has launched a petition calling for the government to make wealthy people pay higher taxes.
The group say they have more money than they need, and the extra revenue could fund economic and social programmes to aid Germany's economic recovery.
Germany could raise 100bn euros (£91bn) if the richest people paid a 5% wealth tax for two years, they say.

I'm sure there are rich Americans who feel the same way - thinking Bill Gates Sr for instance. It would be nice if something like this would happen here - I can just see Bill O'Reilly's head exploding at the thought of all that voluntary income redistribution!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6847870

Nothing stopping the German rich people from writing a check if they feel so passionately about this. But like all liberals they don't believe in doing things by choice everyone needs to be forced into charity.

robinlynne  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Oct-24-09 12:50 PM
Response to Original message
1. I recall it did happen here in the Bush era. Gates and many others sent a petition

or a document against the tax cuts, I think.Does anyone remember exactly what it was?

And not one of them cut a check to make up the difference. I am sure the IRS gladly will accept donations.

That's the difference between us and them. We see a need someone has and we reach in our own pockets and help that person if we are able.
The libs want to make everyone chip in instead of just helping those in need. If the libs with money truly cared about their causes they would open their own wallets and take care of the issues they expect you and I to chip in on by force.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Rich Germans demand higher taxes - BBC
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
If I remember correctly, I think that Bill Gates did "put his money where his mouth is......"   I remember his foundation donating millions to some UN charity or something several years ago.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »
If I remember correctly, I think that Bill Gates did "put his money where his mouth is......"   I remember his foundation donating millions to some UN charity or something several years ago.........

doc

Kudos to him then but he still has no right to try to make other folks give their money away.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
Kudos to him then but he still has no right to try to make other folks give their money away.

Agreed.......there is a rarely used line of the IRS 1040 that allows taxpayers to make any contribution that they want to the government coffers.......why don't these rich libs use it?  I can't speak for Germany's tax system, but I'm certain that if rich Germans wanted to contribute their taxing authority could find a way for them to do so........

This appears to be all about forcing everyone else to pay........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chump

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
I can just see Bill O'Reilly's head exploding at the thought of all that voluntary income redistribution!

Compulsion through threat of force at the end of a loaded gun is now voluntary?  Who knew?   :mental:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
They are perfectly free to give their money to the government or to a charity. But if they think higher taxes is going to help the economy, they're idiots.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
Compulsion through threat of force at the end of a loaded gun is now voluntary?  Who knew?   :mental:

Why yes, Comrade Chump, that is indeed what it says in the venerated writings of Chairman Obamao.  I hope that your smilie does not indicate the harboring of any dissident thought patterns, thouhg of course the People's Labor Volunteer Corps czar is always looking for new recruits.

:sarcasm:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
What's really funny is read the actual article.

A group of rich Germans has launched a petition calling for the government to make wealthy people pay higher taxes.

The group say they have more money than they need, and the extra revenue could fund economic and social programmes to aid Germany's economic recovery.

...<clip>

The petition has 44 signatories so far, and will be presented to newly re-elected Chancellor Angela Merkel.

<clip>

The man behind the petition, Dieter Lehmkuhl, told Berlin's Tagesspiegel that there were 2.2 million people in Germany with a fortune of more than 500,000 euros.

If they all paid the tax for two years, Germany could raise 100bn euros to fund ecological programmes, education and social projects, said the retired doctor and heir to a brewery.

Signatory Peter Vollmer told AFP news agency he was supporting the proposal because he had inherited "a lot of money I do not need".

So here we have some guy that is a heir to some brewry, probably work many time more than 500,00 euros telling everyone how they need to contribute more?

500,000 euros is on the order of 1 Million $ correct?  I wouldn't exactly call that a vast fortune.

If you don't need it or want it then send it to the government, but don't say that everyone else must do the same.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Chump

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
There are only 2.2 million Germans worth half a million Euros?  That's a little surprising.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
So, right now 44 rich Germans, out of 2.2 million want an extra tax placed on themselves.  That is a whopping .002% of them.  Quite a landslide  :lmao:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
The 44 idiots who signed it probably inherited it. They never worked a day.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
The 44 idiots who signed it probably inherited it. They never worked a day.

Now it is time to dance!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »
So, right now 44 rich Germans, out of 2.2 million want an extra tax placed on themselves.  That is a whopping .002% of them.  Quite a landslide  :lmao:

You forget, to a DUmbass that's a mandate.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline bkg

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »
Already been stated... But not a single person who has demanded higher taxes has lead by example and written a check. My sister complains that we need more taxes - I keep telling her to write a check if she feels so passionately. Never happens.

What pisses me off is people Buffet saying his secretary pays more as a percent of income than he does... but he could stop getting paid in stock and take all cash and watch his tax burden quadrupal... yet he doesn't do that either.

Hypocrites... all of them.