Author Topic: counting primitive looking for excuse to get social security disability  (Read 1038 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=317x3711

Oh my.

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-23-09 11:48 AM
Original message

Sjogren's syndrome 

Great, just what I need. ANOTHER auto-immune disease/illness.   

Does anyone else have this problem?

Symptoms

Sjogren's syndrome affects everyone differently. You may not have every symptom listed here, and you may have only minor problems with those you do have. The symptoms may seem worse at some times than at others.

In people with no other health problems, the most common early symptom is the onset of severe dry mouth and eyes.

In people with rheumatoid arthritis or related conditions, dry eyes and mouth develop more slowly. In this case, Sjogren's may be difficult to diagnose.

Symptoms may include:

Dry mouth

The mouth normally contains saliva, which aids chewing and swallowing. In people with Sjogren's syndrome, the amount of saliva is much less. This makes chewing, swallowing, and speaking difficult. It may also cause a decreased sense of taste.

Dry eyes

Your eyes may feel dry, "gritty," or "sandy." They you sleep. Your eyes may be more sensitive to sunlight. If not properly treated, Sjogren's syndrome can lead to ulcers of the cornea (the clear covering of the eyeball). On rare occasions, this can cause blindness.

Swollen salivary glands

There are three set of glands that produce saliva. They're located under your tongue, in the cheeks in front of your ears, and in the back of your mouth. They may feel swollen and tender (see figure 2). This may occur along with a fever. This affects about one-half of people with the disorder.

Dental cavities

This is a common problem that results from a dry mouth. Saliva fights bacteria and defends against cavities. Because you have decreased saliva, your teeth may develop cavities more easily.

Dry nose, throat, and lungs

This may make your throat feel dry and tickly. You may have a dry cough, hoarseness, a decreased sense of smell, and nosebleeds. It can also lead to pneumonia, bronchitis, and ear problems.

Dryness of the vagina

This can cause painful intercourse for women with Sjogren's syndrome.

Fatigue

Fatigue is a common complaint. You may get easily exhausted and feel tired and worn out.

Other problems

Sjogren's syndrome can affect other parts of the body, such as blood vessels, the nervous system, muscles, skin, and other organs. This can lead to muscle weakness, confusion and memory problems, dry skin, and feelings of numbness and tingling.

Sjogren's syndrome can also affect the liver and pancreas. When it does, there is a greater chance for developing cancer of the lymph tissue. Although this is unusual, it is one reason why medical exams and continued follow-up are important.

More on it here:

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/sjogrenssyndrome/ta...

I've been trying to figure out why food isn't very tasty anymore. I've lost about 40 lbs. Soon there won't be a whole lot left of the once hefty me. Hmph to those weight loss freaks out there. Get sick enough and YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

If anyone knows what to do about this other than buy eye drops and/or use Restasis eye drops (which is not only costly but controversial), let me know!

mopinko  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-23-09 12:51 PM
Response to Original message

1. see the doc

did you have a blood test that told you this? what else do you have?

i have the antibody, but not the symptoms.

Actually, the mopinko primitive is a walking receptacle of every disease, every ailment, ever known in the history of mankind, and more that's not known.

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-23-09 01:07 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I was dx'd by an ophthalmologist

he put some sort of strip in my eye and it turned bright orange.

Also been having the dry mouth and other dry symptoms for quite some time which includes trouble swallowing and speaking along with the tingling, arthritic pain (and then some!), fatigue, etc.

I'm going to my internist next week to ask what else can be done about this if anything.

It seems that I have all of the symptoms described above, all of them.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

Re: counting primitive looking for excuse to get social security disability
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
You know what's funny is I've found that auto-immune diseases and quality of life can greatly be affected by exercise. I have some type of reactive immune function that contributes to psoriasis. So far in psoriasis, the exact mechanism of it has not been discovered, but it can also cause arthritis which I know I have coming on(hereditary both the psoriasis and the arthritis :whatever: and most likely the auto-immune function too). It has been greatly helped by weight loss and regular exercise. The fatigue...all of it...helped by that. Knowing what I do now, I wish I'd done it sooner. I think it helps bring the body back in line and at leasy lessen the severity of the illness if nothing else which improves ones quality of life. I look back now and wonder how hard was it just to take a walk everyday for a mile or two? For most people except the ulcerated primitive and those too far gone in their illnesses, how hard is it to step out the door and walk for 30 minutes? Besides feeling better because of the increased blood flow, just being out side in nice weather and taking in fresh air, the sound of the trees rustling in the wind, and the quiet of the day(depending how early you go) can be a refresher all on its own. I was out at 530 am today and it was wonderful!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »
Why is it that all of these DUmmie threads read like the script for an episode of "House, MD".......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
You know, since I was laid off in March, I have become too surly to be around other people. I also stay up late, sleep late, and wear my jammies all the time. I don't think I am employable any more. Give me disability checks please.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
You know, since I was laid off in March, I have become too surly to be around other people. I also stay up late, sleep late, and wear my jammies all the time. I don't think I am employable any more. Give me disability checks please.

Oh, i forgot to mention the dryness of the vagina that I am suffering.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »
You know what's funny is I've found that auto-immune diseases and quality of life can greatly be affected by exercise. I have some type of reactive immune function that contributes to psoriasis. So far in psoriasis, the exact mechanism of it has not been discovered, but it can also cause arthritis which I know I have coming on(hereditary both the psoriasis and the arthritis :whatever: and most likely the auto-immune function too). It has been greatly helped by weight loss and regular exercise. The fatigue...all of it...helped by that. Knowing what I do now, I wish I'd done it sooner. I think it helps bring the body back in line and at leasy lessen the severity of the illness if nothing else which improves ones quality of life. I look back now and wonder how hard was it just to take a walk everyday for a mile or two? For most people except the ulcerated primitive and those too far gone in their illnesses, how hard is it to step out the door and walk for 30 minutes? Besides feeling better because of the increased blood flow, just being out side in nice weather and taking in fresh air, the sound of the trees rustling in the wind, and the quiet of the day(depending how early you go) can be a refresher all on its own. I was out at 530 am today and it was wonderful!

Could you have Psoriatic Arthritis Jty?  I have Reactive Arthritis and it is very similar.  Next time you are at the doctor have them check and see if you are HLA B27 positive.  It's a gene marker that is connected to Auto-Immune disorders.  It doesn't mean you have a certain disease but at least you will know if you have the gene.  I happen to be HLA B27 positive.  

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
Could you have Psoriatic Arthritis Jty?  I have Reactive Arthritis and it is very similar.  Next time you are at the doctor have them check and see if you are HLA B27 positive.  It's a gene marker that is connected to Auto-Immune disorders.  It doesn't mean you have a certain disease but at least you will know if you have the gene.  I happen to be HLA B27 positive.  

Thx BEG. I will make a note of that. I never know what to ask the doctors to look for. I suppose it won't change much, but it might be good to know. I looked at treatment for the psoriasis, but they wanted to give me Enbrel(and immune suppressant). I wasn't totally comfortable with suppressing the immune system since it's an inexact science and at this point it would only have been for aesthetics. The arthritis symptoms come and go just like with anyone else. The exercise and weight loss did help tremendously for me. I think it took another 'reactive' factor by way of a poor diet and fat out of the equation and it has helped. Of course now I think I have perimenopause going on too but that's another discussion entirely.  :p :p :p

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »

You're definitely disabled then.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »

You still taking the fish oil?

Jty...if you're not taking fish oil...start.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »

I used to and I should start again. I just had to add iron...I was anemic and it led up to being practically bed ridden during my last period...ugh. Since I started taken that my performance in my workouts is back to where it should be, I sleep well again, and I'm not totally run down for half the month. This may be my next supplement. Thx for the suggestion, BC. :cheersmate:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »
You're definitely disabled then.

Damn straight. I haven't had any wet vagina since early August. SEND ME TEH MONIES!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
By the way, I have many of the symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome.  I have extreme dry eyes, dry mouth and I already have several auto immune diseases.  It was suggested that I may have Sjogren's syndrome but I figure I don't need another label so I just say I have dry eyes and dry mouth.  I take fish oil everyday, have punctal plugs in my lower ducts of my eyes, use preservative free eye drops as needed, use a humidifier when needed, avoid fluorescent lights (huge trigger for me), use eye gel at night before bed (it's called Gen-teal), and wash my eyes every night to take off every stitch of makeup.

I also brush my teeth with special toothpaste meant for dry mouth, use a mouth wash made for dry mouth and also at night use artificial saliva.  I keep a bottle of water on my bedside table so I can take a drink if I need to during the night.  The dry mouth doesn't bother me too much during the day because I am either drinking water or chewing gum which helps a lot.  I usually notice it the most just as I wake up.  My mouth is dry as a bone but once I am up for a few minutes it isn't so dry.

I tried several rounds of Restasis (for months at a time).  This last time I was on it 4-6 times a day (the regular dose is 2 times a day) and found my eyes burned ALL DAY LONG (they burned all day long even when I was on it for twice a day) so I just stopped it again a week ago.  Since stopping it I have found my eyes are almost back to normal.  I have also tried lid scrubs and other things that I used to do religiously and I think the more I did the worse my eyes were so I just basically stopped messing with them and it has helped.  I think the biggest thing to help was the punctal plugs.  

For those of you who don't know what punctal plugs are, here is a diagram. It shows both upper and lower, I just have lower.  I can't see them unless I look really close, I doubt any of you could ever see them.  They prevent your tears from draining and therefore stay on your eye surface longer before they evaporate.    

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:47:16 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »

Yes, I take loads of it.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
Damn straight. I haven't had any wet vagina since early August. SEND ME TEH MONIES!

:lmao:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
try fish oil.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »

You should play with it more.  It won't bite.  I hope.