Author Topic: warped primitive's as cold as a well-digger's butt  (Read 1264 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
warped primitive's as cold as a well-digger's butt
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x70148

Oh my.

The primitives discuss the best foods for cold rainy days.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-21-09 07:27 PM
Original message

Oven fried pork chops, mixed v*****s and corn bread tonight

It's so gloomy outside today since it's been mixed light rain and snow all day. But it smells good in this house. I'll be ready to pull an afghan over me and settle in with a book pretty soon and with Keith's and then Rachel's show on in the background.

The Bayer aspirin primitive:

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-21-09 07:42 PM
Response to Original message

1. Do you use that premixed "shake and bake" stuff for your pork chops?

I am thawing some and would like to oven fry them, but not quite sure how.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-21-09 08:31 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I use Italian style bread crumbs

I also use Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs to wet them down.

It's been years since I've had the shake and bake kind. But I remember when that first came on the market. My mom thought she died and went to heaven. For chicken and then for chops, she was wild about them. Not many quick helpers available back then so it was a hit even though she was a scratch cook most of the time.

The wired gassy primitive, from that farmette up over there in Wisconsin:

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-21-09 11:29 PM

3. comfort food here, too

I simmered a whole turkey breast all afternoon with onion, celery, and sage. Near dinnertime, I made a gravy with celery and onion sweated in butter with poultry seasoning, and Better Than Bouillon for flavor. I cut half the turkey breast into 1 inch chunks and turned them into the gravy to simmer for half an hour or so.

Now I have to admit that I cooked off a box of stovetop stuffing for those who can eat carbs. And made a big skillet of broccoli and cauliflower with grated parm. Apple-walnut-dried cranberry salad. The house smells delicious.

The lesson? You can start with a frozen turkey breast at 1 p.m. and have it for supper.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-22-09 07:15 AM
Response to Reply #3

4. oh, that sounds perfect...

don't you love it when fall cooking time comes?

mmmmm - your kitchen smells delicious!

Finally, the defrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-22-09 12:24 PM

5. The first winter storm rolled through NM yesterday and it's cold as a well digger's butt so yesterday was the day for the first oven baked bread since early last spring.

This particular batch is truly amazing, a thin, crackly crust and bread that's almost like a soft roll inside with a very fine crumb. It toasted beautifully this morning and I keep wondering what I did to it to make it so good this time.

I looked at the date on the health food store yeast. It's now five years old and still going strong.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: warped primitive's as cold as a well-digger's butt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
I thought for sure it was going to end with Warpy saying something snarky and bitchy and food-policey like she always does. 

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
I thought for sure it was going to end with Warpy saying something snarky and bitchy and food-policey like she always does. 
Warpy is one of the most hateful DUmmies in the entire DUmp. Maybe she's still in withdrawal.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
mixed v*****s

The bane of any good meal.

I've never thought of them as anything other than something that takes up perfectly good space on my plate. :puke:

It's so gloomy outside today since it's been mixed light rain and snow all day. But it smells good in this house. I'll be ready to pull an afghan over me and settle in with a book pretty soon and with Keith's and then Rachel's show on in the background.

Even when a DUmmy's relaxing, they like to have a little something in the background to keep them in a state of pissed off-ness. Just to remain centered, you know?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:06:42 PM by dandi »
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-21-09 07:42 PM

1. Do you use that premixed "shake and bake" stuff for your pork chops?

I am thawing some and would like to oven fry them, but not quite sure how.

Follow the instructions?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
The best and the most foolproof pork chops around are made with McCormick's Bag 'n' Season. So easy a DUmmy could do it, and mind bogglingly good.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
The best and the most foolproof pork chops around are made with McCormick's Bag 'n' Season. So easy a DUmmy could do it, and mind bogglingly good.

Aren't you assuming something here?  I think a pork chop would be smarter than a DUmb**** . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 04:59:41 AM »
Aren't you assuming something here?  I think a pork chop would be smarter than a DUmb**** . . .

Yeah but she sure made me hungry and ready to fill my home with baking bread, pork chops or Chicken.

Won't be long before we have a domicile smelling like roasting turkey and pumpkin pies.

Oh yes

one of the few American traditions that I can think of--perhaps corned beef on ST. Patty's day or fish on Christmas eve. Not American came from the Irish in their home land 200 years ago. 

Candy and costumes for the kids on Halloween about to arrive.  Anyone have any idea how this tradition is observed in other country's or what the actual meaning of Halloween

All my kids and to this day  my grandchildren love Halloween, I myself get a kick out of the costumes and the delight as they fill up their bags.

So some liberals who have no kids decide to halt the little kids from Halloween.  First objection is the costums that MAY impare their sight.  Second objection is that there have been 500 cases in the last 15 years of people putting objects and drugs in the candy.  The fact that in that time 3,000,000 -or more kids were safe, is ignored.

Today the schools have party's for the kids to dress up and apple dunk. No more going house to house.

What happens when a Liberal connects Halloween to a religious function.  Will the schools have to stop the party's because a few Muslim parents point out that this is a Christian affair.

Lots to rant about, won't do any good, I as you must follow the law of the republic and watch family traditions go down the drain.-------Rant over.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
I use italian bread crumbs, but nothing to "wet down" the pork chops. Just dredge them in the crumbs and whatever sticks is what sticks. Serve with mashed potatoes, both smothered in mushroom gravy, and some lightly buttered broccoli.

MMM MMM MMM.. Yummy form my tummy!  :evillaugh: