Author Topic: say it ain't so -- banning clotheslines?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline CC27

say it ain't so -- banning clotheslines?
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
astral  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Oct-22-09 08:58 AM
Original message
say it ain't so -- banning clotheslines?

hanging clothes are 'unsightly,' and 'offensive.' Cause property values to drop to see a woman's bra or a man's undies on a clothesline. Many communities have banned them in Utah, Vermont.

DISCUSS! : )

They wanna ban everything else.  :whatever:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6831253

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: say it ain't so -- banning clotheslines?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
You know what drives me nuts about some primitives?

When a primitive makes a statement, and then orders "discuss!"

Like the primitive is a teacher, and the audience are schoolchildren.

Every time I see a primitive loudly ordering "discuss!" my lower regions release gas.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »
I'll be honest, I can't imagine somebody banning clotheslines, and this sort of thing is exactly why I would never want to be part of a home owners association.  

I actually like hanging clothes out to dry on nice days.  It is a nice relaxing chore, and when it is hot it makes more sense than running the dryer.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
I'll be honest, I can't imagine somebody banning clotheslines, and this sort of thing is exactly why I would never want to be part of a home owners association.  

I actually like hanging clothes out to dry on nice days.  It is a nice relaxing chore, and when it is hot it makes more sense than running the dryer.

I remember when I was a wee lad we had the classic 3-in. galvanized steel T's and wire clothesline stretched across the back of our backyard.  It was a thrill to talk my mom's ear off as she moved down the line.  I would hand her the wooden clothespins.  The clean smells are quite a memory too.

It was a regular phenomenon that the clothes always reached Optimum Dry and Retrieve during my nap time. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:21:09 AM by Lord Undies »

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »
I like the fresh air scent, too.
I have those steel T's still.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:28 AM »
I would bet that nearly every HOA forbids clotheslines. We always used them when I was a kid - didn't have a dryer,
but they do look like hell, and way out of place in a nice neighborhood. HOAs are all about appearance.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »
I loathe HOAs.  I would LOVE to be able to dry clothes outside, but my backyard is chock full of trees, and trees equal birds, and birds equal bird poo, which seems counter productive to drying clean clothes outside. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
Banning clotheslines seems contractictory to saving energy and being earth friendly.  :wtf2:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
I remember when I was a wee lad we had the classic 3-in. galvanized steel T's and wire clothesline stretched across the back of our backyard.  It was a thrill to talk my mom's ear off as she moved down the line.  I would hand her the wooden clothespins.  The clean smells are quite a memory too.

It was a regular phenomenon that the clothes always reached Optimum Dry and Retrieve during my nap time. 

For about the first three weeks of living in this house we didn't have a dryer because there was no plug for an electric dryer (we had to buy a gas dryer as there was no more room on the panel to add the plug).  They previous owner had a retractable clothes line so I used it.  I don't know if it is just our area but the air here is filthy.  I felt like I had just washed my clothes only for them to get dirty while they were drying.  I hated what the towels felt like after they dried on the line but I did like the stiffness of the jeans and the way the pillowcases looked as though they were ironed.  They didn't smell like sunshine either like I remember when my mom would hang stuff in the backyard. 

We had a wire clothesline stretched across the backyard too when I was a kid.  We had a dog named Tiger (I named him after the Brady Bunch dog).  He would climb the chain link fence all the time so we would chain him to the clothesline so he could run around.  Apparently my parents didn't check the length of the chain because I walked outside one day and he was hanging on the other side of the fence (literally hanging there).  He had jumped the fence while he was wearing the chain.  It must of just happened because he was still alive and was fighting it big time.  After that incident my Dad shortened the chain.   :p

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
"Clothes Call, Beg!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
I don't know of any HOA's around here that allow them.

I was in HS before we got a dryer. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven, because I didn't have to have laundry outside any more.

Wrong....my stepmother insisted that sheets and towels be hung outside.

I hated sheets hung outside.....they were full of pollen.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
Oh my God, BEG, don't do that to me.  What a horror story, and I was plagued by nightmares last night and am still squeamish over them.  Thank God your dog was saved in time! 

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 03:02:10 AM »
If you seen the size of the undergarments that belong to most DUmmies, you'd understand the ban!

That isn't a clothesline, it's a White House sized flag pole.  :evillaugh:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »
They haven't banned clotheslines in my neck of Vermont, and even if they did, woe be to the poor deputy who tried to enforce it. Hell hath no fury like a 90yo woman with a shotgun.  :evillaugh:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »
You know what drives me nuts about some primitives?

When a primitive makes a statement, and then orders "discuss!"

Like the primitive is a teacher, and the audience are schoolchildren.

Every time I see a primitive loudly ordering "discuss!" my lower regions release gas.

Mike Meyers used to play this female character on SNL who had a show called "Coffee Talk". The character was in absolute awe of Barabara Streisand (she was like "butter" whatever that means). But she would get upset about something and give her audience this outrageous topic and end with "Discuss!" Whenever see that, that's what I think, but given the DUmmies' penchant for thinking they're in charge of the whole darn world your assertion makes more sense.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams