Author Topic: Baltimore Schools Embrace Anti-Meat Movement with ‘Meatless Mondays’  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Baltimore Schools Embrace Anti-Meat Movement with ‘Meatless Mondays’

(CNSNews.com) – The first graders lining up for lunch at Arlington Elementary School in Baltimore, Md., on Monday could pick a cheese sandwich or cheese lasagna and a bowl of mixed vegetables or broccoli. They could not, however, have meat for lunch now that cafeterias throughout the school district have adopted "Meatless Mondays."

Mellissa Mahoney, a chef and dietitian with the school district, said the idea started as part of a themed-approach to planning lunches for the school year. She said the plan changed after representatives from the Meatless Monday movement approached Mahoney and Food Services Director Tony Geraci.

“They met with us over the summer, before we even launched the new menu,” Mahoney told CNSNews.com. She said at first they didn’t realize that Meatless Monday is a national and international movement with ties to extreme animal rights activists. “We know now what they do, and we have collaborated with them,” Mahoney said.

*snip*

Among its fans are the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), an extremist animal rights group that not only seeks an end to meat consumption but lobbies for animals to have the same rights as humans.

MORE[//url]

Wear what we tell you to wear. - School uniforms
Eat what we tell you to eat. - vegans, PETA, etc.
Think what we tell you to think. - sing praises to Ooooobama.

:banghead:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Deuce

I wish I had read this thread yesterday, I would have grilled up some burgers in celebration.

With meat sauce.

And the bun would be made of meat.

With bacon.

I just drooled a bit.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Several schools I went to had Meatless Fridays.  (Predominately Catholic areas)  And, my Mom told me in MS, when she was in grade school, that most days her school lunch was beans and rice.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Baltimore Schools Embrace Anti-Meat Movement with ‘Meatless Mondays’
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
Several schools I went to had Meatless Fridays.  (Predominately Catholic areas)  And, my Mom told me in MS, when she was in grade school, that most days her school lunch was beans and rice.

When I worked at Ford, the company cafeteria would not serve meat on Friday, only fish.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jinxmchue

I guess there were some jackasses on Larry King last night advocating a "meatless society."  You know what?  You don't want to eat meat?  Fine.  Crap like a cow for the rest of your life.  I don't care.  But DO NOT force your retarded beliefs on me.  I like meat and will eat meat until the day I die and there's nothing you can do about it.

Offline Chump

I guess there were some jackasses on Larry King last night advocating a "meatless society."  You know what?  You don't want to eat meat?  Fine.  Crap like a cow for the rest of your life.  I don't care.  But DO NOT force your retarded beliefs on me.  I like meat and will eat meat until the day I die and there's nothing you can do about it.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals He would not have made them out of meat."
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Chris_

It's just another religion like Glow Bull Warming.
Why isn't the ACLU all over this?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Those would have been days my little herd of omnivores were bring lunch meat sandwiches, even as little kids none of them had any patience with this kind of BS.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
This calls for countermeasures.  Cue the meat-tossing scene from the semi-cult classic movie "PCU".
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Baltimore Schools Embrace Anti-Meat Movement with ‘Meatless Mondays’
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Mmm...meat! And more of it for me. Besides, anyone remember school cafeteria meat being tasty? Not me.

But what I want to know is what do they do for the little darlings who are vegan? lactose intolerant?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline thundley4

Mmm...meat! And more of it for me. Besides, anyone remember school cafeteria meat being tasty? Not me.

But what I want to know is what do they do for the little darlings who are vegan? lactose intolerant?

Our meatloaf wasn't too bad, nor were the burgers and pizzas that had meat.

Offline jinxmchue

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals He would not have made them out of meat."

Ayup.  Nom nom nom!

Offline Chump

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Chris_

Our meatloaf wasn't too bad, nor were the burgers and pizzas that had meat.
My HS served hamburgers, but none of us were ever sure they really had meat in them.  Then in the college dining halls, we had "Mystery Meat", "the Dreaded Breaded" and "Chicken Fried Unidentified".

Offline IassaFTots

My HS served hamburgers, but none of us were ever sure they really had meat in them.  Then in the college dining halls, we had "Mystery Meat", "the Dreaded Breaded" and "Chicken Fried Unidentified".

In college, I worked in the cafeteria for a semester.  Let's just say I ate pretty much vegetarian fare after that...

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

In college, I worked in the cafeteria for a semester.  Let's just say I ate pretty much vegetarian fare after that...
Did they ever serve "SOS"?

Offline IassaFTots

Did they ever serve "SOS"?

Nope.  But we had alot-of-stuff "divan"  I learned to stay away from anything that had "divan" in it's name. 

I like good SOS tho. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Want kids to stop complaining about school food?  Serve them Navy food.  SOS, baboon's ass, horsecock sandwiches, elephant scabs, cat turds...all guaranteed to raise the dead--or at least their bile.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

Want kids to stop complaining about school food?  Serve them Navy food.  SOS, baboon's ass, horsecock sandwiches, elephant scabs, cat turds...all guaranteed to raise the dead--or at least their bile.

On the contrary, kids might like foods with names like that.

Offline NHSparky

On the contrary, kids might like foods with names like that.

Yeah, right up to the point the cooks shoved that shit out the window, and then they'd do what we did--pool our money, take orders, and send the non-qual to Santana's for carne asada burritos.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

Yeah, right up to the point the cooks shoved that shit out the window, and then they'd do what we did--pool our money, take orders, and send the non-qual to Santana's for carne asada burritos.

I didn't have many complaints about the food on board most of the time. It only got bad towards the end of a deployment.

Offline NHSparky

I didn't have many complaints about the food on board most of the time. It only got bad towards the end of a deployment.

You never had some of the cooks on my last boat.  Junior cook in the morning wouldn't put out cereal because, as he reasoned, "The crew will just eat it!"  This is the same guy who, after dinner in port one night, was peadling down the pier with a bag of trash balanced on his bike's handlebars.  One of the electrician's girlfriends walked by as he was on his way out.  She got to where we were with a puzzled look on her face and asked her boyfriend, "Do they really let guys with Down's Syndrome join?"  He never figured out why he was called Corky after that.

Offline thundley4

You never had some of the cooks on my last boat.  Junior cook in the morning wouldn't put out cereal because, as he reasoned, "The crew will just eat it!"  This is the same guy who, after dinner in port one night, was peadling down the pier with a bag of trash balanced on his bike's handlebars.  One of the electrician's girlfriends walked by as he was on his way out.  She got to where we were with a puzzled look on her face and asked her boyfriend, "Do they really let guys with Down's Syndrome join?"  He never figured out why he was called Corky after that.

Our main cook was a huge black guy with a southern accent, and he could cook.  I think he slept on the mess deck, because it seemed like he was always there.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
This is really nothing new.  I went to catholic schools and they would only serve fish and pb&J on Fridays. We also had a uniform.  Now, most of the public schools in Florida also require uniforms and I think this is a great idea.  It's easier on the parents and children can't compete with designer clothes vs non-designer clothing.
I've been looking into daycare and there is this great Jewish daycare in my neighborhood that I was considering...until I learned they were Kosher.

Now I know there is a distinction....we went to a religious school and my parents knew we had to follow their rules...