Author Topic: primitives getting jittery about Virginia  (Read 3486 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives getting jittery about Virginia
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6733978

Oh my.

theHandpuppet (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-09-09 08:49 AM
Original message

The gubernatorial race in Virginia is really making me nervous 

McConnell has widened his lead in the polls over Deeds 55 to 44%. I'm hoping like hell this isn't an example of what's in store for us elsewhere in the country --- McConnell is a RW nutbag and I thought Dems finally had a pretty solid hold on Virginia. Is this a case of a weak Dem candidate or more ominously, sign of a conservative backlash? This implications are really worrying me. How are other races looking in your areas of the country, DUers? Is there some good news to report?

imdjh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 08:55 AM
Response to Original message

1. Which one is taller and has blue eyes?

Nicholas D Wolfwood  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-09-09 08:59 AM

2. Probably a little of both.

It's an off year election, and like it or not, the most typical voters during those are not Democratic ones. Further, Creigh Deeds seems like an extremely weak candidate. He's failing miserably at getting NoVa on board. I know way more about what McDonnell will do than what Deeds will, which is also a problem. While I think Deeds' attack ads are effective, he needs at least some talking about what he'll do for the state or he'll sink. I don't necessarily think this is a bellweather kind of election, but it's not good.

imdjh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 09:13 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. I know it sounds petty, but that how marketing is. The man should have changed his name years ago.

If he intended to run for public office, he should have changed his name to "Bob" when he first decided to run for dog catcher. You don't name restaurants words that people can't spell phonetically, and you don't run for public officer as Siobhan Ryan, you change your name to Joan.

vadawg  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 09:16 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. deeds isnt coming across as someone who will work for virginia

all his TV coverage seems to be negative which i think worked in the beginning but now people are asking what he has planned, and now the mcDonnell attack ad comes out with deeds saying that he will raise taxes and it makes deeds look weak. My union supported deeds from the start of his campaign but the members and some of the officers of the union are out working for McDonnell as hes now seen as the frontrunner and people like to support a winner.

Phoebe Loosinhouse  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-09-09 09:20 AM

5. Deeds is just not an exciting candidate. MacAuliffe knocked out Moran who I think would have won in a walk over McDonnell. Thanks Terry!

I agree that Deeds needs his own message aside from negatives on MacDonnell. There's still time and hopefully Northern Virginia will save us from McDonnell.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: primitives getting jittery about Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6733978

Oh my.

Did they not see what happened in Albuquerque?? Thats a DUmmieville and they now have a GOP city council majority and a GOP Mayor. Thanks O!

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:03:26 AM »
My vote will be going to McDonnell in this election.
I do love how the OP could not even get his name right.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
My vote will be going to McDonnell in this election.
I do love how the OP could not even get his name right.

Have you noticed that since mid-summer, AdBot has been pushing McDonnell?

It's shown up on about half the primitive bonfires.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »
I think O is going to be helping a lot of Republicans win elections, some of them in unlikely places... like Albuquerque.

After 2010, if the GOP wins BIG, they should give O an award for it.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
I think O is going to be helping a lot of Republicans win elections, some of them in unlikely places... like Albuquerque.

Hey now, you might just be on to something there. They said the award is to encourage the works he has going now rather than anything he's actually done yet.  :rotf:

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
Have you noticed that since mid-summer, AdBot has been pushing McDonnell?

It's shown up on about half the primitive bonfires.
I thought it was quite amusing.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

Like, "Firearms Salesman of the Year for 2008"? :lmao:
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »

Ya know what the best part of any monumential gains the GOP makes in 2010 is going to be?  The Obamessiah probably won't shift his stances to accommodate the new Congress he has to work with (according to Dick Morris).  What will be the outcome of that?  A severe thumping in 2012, with over 60 GOP US Senators on January 3rd of 2013.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »
Ya know what the best part of any monumential gains the GOP makes in 2010 is going to be?  The Obamessiah probably won't shift his stances to accommodate the new Congress he has to work with (according to Dick Morris).  What will be the outcome of that?  A severe thumping in 2012, with over 60 GOP US Senators on January 3rd of 2013.

President Palin can award him the Presidential Medal of Stupidity

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
The conservative backlash is going to be a tsunami.

You can't tell 100% lies during the campaign and expect to keep your office...unless you are in a big city.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
The conservative backlash is going to be a tsunami.

You can't tell 100% lies during the campaign and expect to keep your office...unless you are in a big city.

Like Chicago?
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
they should be jittery.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »
they should be jittery.

Probably more from chemical withdrawal than from nerviness....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
Probably more from chemical withdrawal than from nerviness....

But just over a 50-50 split.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
I just had to rub this in a little. :evillaugh:
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/politics/state_ap_creigh_deeds_down_in_polls_20092610
Democrat Deeds down by double-digits
Updated: Monday, 26 Oct 2009, 6:59 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 26 Oct 2009, 6:09 PM EDT

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A Washington Post poll shows Republican Bob McDonnell with a lead of 11 percentage points over his Democratic rival entering the final week of their race for governor in Virginia.

The statewide poll released Monday of 1,206 likely voters showed 55 percent favoring McDonnell to 44 percent who support state Sen. Creigh (Cree) Deeds.

The results are outside the sampling error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Also, final pre-election campaign finance reports show McDonnell raised $4 million the first three weeks of October to Deeds' $3.1 million .

That left McDonnell with about $1.8 million on hand to finish the race and about half that much for Deeds.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
We'll be voting for McDonnell :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
We'll be voting for McDonnell :-)
Looks like a straight R ticket here as well.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »
I can't wait for the Misery Index at DU to really get a hold.  It will be so much fun to watch.  They've had such a short vacation from the pit of election dispair.  It will please me no end to witness the reversal of the self-righteous assurity all the Little Goons felt this time last year.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
Virginia is HUGE. NJ would be HUGER.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
Virginia would be nice, but NJ would be a huge kick in the nuts.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
Virginia would be nice, but NJ would be a huge kick in the nuts.

I'll be having a live thread Tuesday night, November 3, regarding the gubernatorial races in New Jersey and Virginia, along with that congressional race in New York.

That is, if you'll let me, kind sir.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
Tuesday is my day off.  I'll be there with a beer in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
Tuesday is my day off.  I'll be there with a beer in both hands.

You know of any other races of importance next Tuesday?

This is an off-year election, and not nearly as big as the 2013 off-year election will be.  In fact, this is pretty much the most minimal any elections ever get.
apres moi, le deluge