Author Topic: Big Firms, Little Competition Mark Federal Stimulus Deals  (Read 884 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Big Firms, Little Competition Mark Federal Stimulus Deals
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271679727405411.html#mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

WASHINGTON -- The biggest recipients so far of the federal contracts awarded with stimulus money are large companies that faced little competition for the funds.

Most of the money that has flowed from the $787 billion stimulus plan since it was passed six months ago has gone to the states. But about 22,000 federal contracts with a total value of around $12 billion have been signed with companies, according to a public database of the deals. Companies faced no competition in about a fifth of the dollars and almost all of the contracts agreed to so far have had four bidders or fewer, the records show.

The reported contracts include millions of dollars for big-name food, drug and auto companies. Del Monte Foods Co. and Hormel Food Corp.'s Jennie-O Turkey unit are providing supplies for food pantries, and so are private-label firms such as Lakeside Foods. Drug makers GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Merck & Co., Novartis AG and a unit of Sanofi Aventis Group are supplying extra vaccines for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chrysler Group LLC, Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. are selling hybrids and other fuel-efficient vehicles to the General Services Administration for the federal fleet.

The database also includes details of goods and services, from tree-thinning and cables to uniforms and advertising. About a fifth of the contracts were awarded to small vendors, according to the Small Business Administration.

SNIP
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline thundley4

Re: Big Firms, Little Competition Mark Federal Stimulus Deals
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
Isn't Del Monte headquartered in San Fran Nan's district?  :whatever:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Big Firms, Little Competition Mark Federal Stimulus Deals
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
From what I've seen, the states are using stimulus money to shore up their annual budgets that they ballooned out of control during the good times (*cough* Bredesen *cough*) and now can't afford.  Keeping a bunch of government employees in business is not my idea of "stimulus".
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.