Author Topic: I'm assuming Wilson's outburst was a planned event designed to rob Obama's speec  (Read 482 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Mayberry Machiavelli  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Sep-10-09 12:27 PM
Original message
I'm assuming Wilson's outburst was a planned event designed to rob Obama's speech of media coverage.

The idea being that 80-90 percent of the media coverage will be "look at what this hoser did" instead of "this is what President Obama said about why health care reform is so important at this time in our history".

The speech was released in advance, the idea that this was some kind of spontaneous deal is laughable.

Now if you are a simple, venal creature like that which apparently populate the GOP High Command these days then I suppose the positive points of that strategy appeal to you.

However there are also clear negatives. The main one of which is that you put your party on display as embracing the worst kind of redneckery. No more plausible deniability, "spontaneous citizen anger at townhalls" etc.

You are doing something that is pretty well unprecedented in this country's history (the caning of Sen. Sumner etc. nonwithstanding, we are talking about the President here), this is not even mentioning the rest of them carrying stupid signs/pamphlets. The GOP made a conscious decision to essentially turn the Congress into a Teabag event.

Right Wingers will continue to support the GOP and stay riled up. Those on the left will continue to loathe the GOP.

How is this kind of move supposed to appeal to anyone on the fence or in the middle at all? Or convince those that recently bailed on the GOP to come back into the fold?

Are the Joe Wilsons of Congress going to start showing up to SOTU addresses in shirtsleeves, overalls and suspenders? Bring guns or an overseer's whip into Congress? Would ANYTHING really surprise me anymore? Are they going to turn their backs on the President during his speech?

Does anyone think the positives of this conscious strategy by the GOP outweigh the negatives, for them? I'd be curious to hear discussion.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6512597

No event can occur without the DUmmies coming up with some kind of conspiracy.  :lmao:

tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Sep-10-09 12:31 PM
Response to Original message
2. I don't think so.   Updated at 11:54 AM

It was a loudmouth asshole exposing himself. The speech served its purposed. Obama laid out his objectives, answered critics and set the frame. Wilson strengthen the frame Obama set with his immature behavior. Anyone who watched the speech was reached just the same. The focus on Wilson is a loss for he repukes and a win for the Dems. Now, Obama is knocking heads behind closed doors, getting the job done, while WIlson is sweating under the lights.

Yep he sure showed us the error of our ways. All the facts he used ohh wait he just called us liars and said we were spreading misinformation.  :whatever:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Yep he sure showed us the error of our ways. All the facts he used ohh wait he just called us liars and said we were spreading misinformation.  :whatever:
Indeed.

"Nuh-uh!" is hardly a rebuttal.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Hmmmm.....Obama calls the general public liars and it's ok?

I'm gettin' really sick and tired of being called a "liar"... :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Hmmmm.....Obama calls the general public liars and it's ok?

I'm gettin' really sick and tired of being called a "liar"... :censored:

Heck he already told us to sit down and shut up.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.

yeah, we are racist homophobic liars. 

Did I forget something?  Something looks missing.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator

I'm a redhead.....I don't take kindly to being told to shut up any better than I take bein' called a liar....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Lord Undies

When will that Obama character be admitting he is sorry?  A sorry ass.