Author Topic: Oscar Wilde didn't hear  (Read 305 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oscar Wilde didn't hear
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6510383

Oh my.

The large-proboscised primitive, Oscar Wilde:

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-10-09 08:18 AM
Original message

Here's what I didn't hear last night: "I will veto any plan that doesn't have a public option."

Without those words, who knows what we will end up with?

As much as I like Obama, here's what I came away from the speech with: "Have patience. You're still getting ****ed, but we're going to fix it -- someday."

Someone is going to have to point out to me this "change" thing that was discussed during the presidential campaign.

Damn, I wish Pedro Picasso would get back from his vacation.  Oscar Wilde isn't anything, compared with Pedro Picasso.  And much more boring.

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-10-09 08:19 AM
Response to Original message

1. Got to keep powder dry for midterms. Besides, congress has insurance so no need to rush, they will be ok.

WeDidIt  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:21 AM

2. HE could nto threaten a veto like that

That's politically impossible.

The militant gigolo primitive comments, but franksolich is ignoring the militant gigolo primitive, so never mind.

WeDidIt  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:38 AM
Response to Reply #3

7. Had he threatened to veto any bill without a PO

Health care reform would ahve died right there because no bill would ever make it to his desk.

Clinton made that mistake.

TransitJohn  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-10-09 08:55 AM
Response to Reply #7

14. Meaningful health care reform did die right there last night 

we'll get token health insurance reform. But profits will be maintained as now we'll be mandated to give those ****ers money. Welcome to the new open corporate slavery in the United States.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-10-09 08:22 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. Ummm, Why???

By the way, does anybody know if nurse's aides (called CNAs up here in Nebraska) in nursing homes in Florida have to walk around in white uniforms?

Just curious; and to think, Oscar Wilde had a chance to be a Wall Street wunderkind, and blew it.

WeDidIt  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:38 AM
Response to Reply #4

9. Clinton made the veto threat in '93 and that threat killed any chance of any bill ever making it to his desk.

vi5 (1000+ posts)     Thu Sep-10-09 08:29 AM

5. I've seen 4 newspaper headlines today...

...about the speech. And all make mention that Obama is willing to drop the public option.

Wonderful.

bobburgster  (355 posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:35 AM

6. A trigger will work.

A well worded trigger mechanism for the public option would address the political concerns of those up for re-election, as well as put in place the mechanism to kick in the public option. We know the insurance industry will figure a way around reducing our costs and real competition...so it's just a matter of time before the option kicks in.

joeycola (390 posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:39 AM
Response to Reply #6

10. ah, lets see. So far, this 'reform' will wait for 4 years to kick in and then how many years waiting for the trigger to kick in?

customerserviceguy  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:55 AM
Response to Reply #6

13. A trigger puts this in the hands of the enemy

And they can always figure out a way to finagle things until they can buy the WH back for a Repuke. It's hard to take something away that's already been enacted, but relatively easy to take away things that are planned for down the line, yet have not been activated.

Richardo  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-10-09 08:38 AM

8. That's because he's the President, not some denizen of an on-line message board.

spanone  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:42 AM

11. i didn't hear his brownie recipe either.

customerserviceguy  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 08:53 AM

12. Joe Wilson is a sideshow

What really counts is what happens (or doesn't happen) under the big top.

My prediction is that it will be pretty much nothing. Congress has heard from its constituents, and for every wingnut teabagger that showed up to heckle at a town meeting, there were 1000 letters from the same ilk who could not find a corporate sponsor for a bus ride.

That's always been franksolich's prediction, but it's still too early to tell.

stray cat  (1000+ posts)     Thu Sep-10-09 08:58 AM

15. I think the senate votes may make more difference than a speech on what we end up with.

If we want a public option - we need to get the votes in the senate - if you can contribute to that go for it!

stray cat  (1000+ posts)     Thu Sep-10-09 09:00 AM

16. I will not regulate insurance companies and I will give them free reign to prey on you if you don't include a public option - is that what you want him to say?

SheilaT  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-10-09 09:06 AM
Response to Reply #16

17. Something along those lines.

I'm so disappointed that I can hardly stand it.

There is no meaningful control over the insurance companies that I heard. And four years for this to kick in? How many will die in the meantime because the almighty insurance companies will continue to deny care? How many will lose their life savings and declare bankruptcy because even though they have insurance their share will be immensely huge?

Too little, too late.

Man, I can hardly wait until health care is a non-issue on Skins's island.  There's plenty of other problems, other issues, for the primitives to address, many of them more important than health care.  It gets boring, watching the primitives rittle-rattle non-stop about health care.
apres moi, le deluge