Author Topic: DUmmie gives fleas to her cat.  (Read 911 times)

Offline thundley4

DUmmie gives fleas to her cat.
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
davsand   (1000+ posts)           Sun Sep-06-09 12:02 PM
Original message
I found a couple of fleas in my bed. Chaucer kitty needs DU advice.

Edited on Sun Sep-06-09 12:06 PM by davsand
I need some advice from the DU cat family. Chaucer has turned up with fleas. (The suspected source of contagion is the Girl Scout Leader's infested house and a sleepover there a couple of weeks ago...)

He is not gonna accept a flea comb, nor will he deal with a flea bath or dip (not that I have ever thought much of them, if you want the truth...)

He was due for his annual exam in late June or early July, and i have not had the cash to take him in yet. If I HAVE to, I can maybe call Tuesday and beg his vet for a script for a spot treatment (Frontline or whatever she uses) but if I can buy something from a pet store that will work without making him sick, I'd like to get started treating him NOW.

None of the humans are manifesting flea bites yet, and the cat doesn't appear to be scratching terribly much. I think we are early in the game, and can probably avoid it getting any worse if we get him treated sooner rather than later.

What say you, sage cat lovers of DU? Is there an over the counter flea spot treatment that is safe for our beloved kitty that will work?

Laura
  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x9020156

Notice the DUmmie is implying they are right wing fleas, because Leftists would not be in the GSA.

DUAdbot knows the truth.
DU AdBot (1000+ posts)       Sun Sep 06th 2009, 01:59 PM
Response to Original message

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: DUmmie gives fleas to her cat.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
If you are wasting time posting this crap at the DUmp and waiting for a response, you have already lost the battle, DIpSHit! Fleas reproduce at an alarming rate! I lived in my Granpa's house for a coupla years in Kansas after he died. Cats brought the fleas in and we were infested in less than a week!

Took me month and much misery for my dogs before I got rid of them. The cats, never came into the house again! The closest they got was the garage in the winter.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
This DUmmie should hit up the subway kitty for a solution.

My advice is to engage in a little bit of chemical warfare resulting in the genocide of the flea race.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
Bayer makes a product called Advantage. They make it for dogs and cats, for different weights of animals. Drops you put on the animal's skin between their shoulder blades, or in the case of larger dogs, continuing down the spine. Dose them once a month for three months, and you won't see fleas again until the next right wing girl scout sleepover.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
DUmmy davsand: One word. Microwave.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Bayer makes a product called Advantage. They make it for dogs and cats, for different weights of animals. Drops you put on the animal's skin between their shoulder blades, or in the case of larger dogs, continuing down the spine. Dose them once a month for three months, and you won't see fleas again until the next right wing girl scout sleepover.

Does it come in a 10 gal spray pack for use on DUmmies ?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »
Back in the old days on my grand parents' farm there was a large old wood house. They had lived in the house years before, but after building a new home they used the old house for storing tools, tobacco sticks, and occasionally bundles of tobacco.

Somehow, the front two rooms (that were used for tools) got infested with fleas. I think maybe one of the old hounds had a litter of puppies in one of the rooms. Before you knew it the fleas were so bad that you couldn't walk into those two rooms without getting literally covered with fleas.

I don't know if they ever cured the problem. It got to the point that I wouldn't even go near the old house. It finally burned down. If it hadn't been cured before, I'm sure the blaze fixed it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
Does it come in a 10 gal spray pack for use on DUmmies ?

Are you trying to kill the DUmmy infestation?  Or just the flea infestation on the DUmmies?  :confused:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
Are you trying to kill the DUmmy infestation?  Or just the flea infestation on the DUmmies?  :confused:

If possible, could we save the fleas?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
If possible, could we save the fleas?

Well, in that case, I'd recommend high velocity 230gr injections of Iludium Pb.45 into the infestation site.  The fleas should survive to infest some hapless dog with such a treatment.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
In all seriousness, we had to deal with this problem a few years back.  Our solution was to shave our cats, use Frontline on both, and fog the house.  The fleas were gone within days.