Author Topic: Of rationing health care, death camps, Kaiser Permenente, and my 80+ year old mo  (Read 987 times)

Offline ScubaGuy

I love a failed bouncy attempt.

Fail

Triana  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Sep-04-09 08:37 PM
Original message
Of rationing health care, death camps, Kaiser Permenente, and my 80+ year old mother . . .

I talked to my Mom today and she said she went for her checkup recently and the doc ordered a colonoscopy- since she's had polyps there before they like to keep an eye on that. BUT - the insurance wouldn't cover it. Why? She's over 80.

She went for a mammogram today but said she had to BEG the insurance company to cover it. Why? She's over 80

SO:

I GUESS that Kaiser Permenente figures that if you're over 80 and you get cancer - you can just DROP DEAD.

TALK ABOUT YOUR RATIONING AND DEATH PANELS. THERE YA GO - and it's NOT the big, bad "government" doing this in some skeery future scenario - it's the private for-profit insurance companies DOING IT NOW.

KAISER PERMENENTE apparently decided that Mom can just DIE if she gets cancer because it's not worth a few hundred of their precious MILLIONS to test her regularly.

If the insurance won't cover it because THEY'RE RATIONING HEALTH CARE AND DECIDING FOR HER THAT SHE SHOULD DIE IF SHE GETS CANCER ...

:wtf: is someone like Mom supposed to DO?

Answer:

DROP DEAD!

Pfft!

:mad:

:grr:

THERE'S YA "DEATH PANELS" folks - we haz dem NOW.

She's 80+ and not on medicare?

I know for a fact that Medicare covers colonoscopies.  They will even pay for hospital stay if the patient can't handle the prep.  My MIL went through it at 84 and she needed to go for a night at the hospital since she couldn't handle the prep.

valerief  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Sep-04-09 08:40 PM
Response to Original message
1. What about Medicare? nt

Oops first response

virgogal  (798 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Sep-04-09 08:48 PM
Response to Original message
6. I know nothing about Kaiser but isn't she on Medicare?

I'm on Medicare and show both are covered,mammograms once a year and colonoscopies every 10 years unless high risk,and then it's every 2 years. Just looked it up in my Medicare Handbook.

That said,I wish your mother well.

And another try.

Triana  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Sep-04-09 09:06 PM
Response to Reply #6
8. She has said they won't cover it...

...the colonoscopy for sure. It could be that Medicare paid for the mammogram. Who of you is 80 or over? I wonder if that's the issue?

Medicare does cover it AND if it didn't wouldn't that be a FAILURE of government insurance?  BTW I wonder how Kaiser got into this discussion since it appears she has medicare.
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Medicare does cover it AND if it didn't wouldn't that be a FAILURE of government insurance?  BTW I wonder how Kaiser got into this discussion since it appears she has medicare.

Typical primitive attempt to slander reputable insurance companies.

It's a lie.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Yes, but KP is private and you are free to find another plan.

It's called the competive free market...you should read up on that.

If the government holds a monopoly then where does one go?

This is less than a bouncy. I deem it a: Splish - too soggy and flaccid to bounce but not even qualify as a decent splash. Kinda like when you drop wet toilet paper on your foot.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
This is the feeblest, dumbest, lamest, most transparent bouncy lie in ages!
To be so stupid as to overlook the fact an 80-year-old would be on Medicare! Unbelievable.
I am not familiar with DUmmyTriana, but he could be a budding DUmp star.

Offline thundley4

I think it's a typical type of bouncy.  A DUmmie is taking a valid argument from the right, and lying about it and twisting it around to prove the opposite.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
That they can never just comment on an issue without creating a lie that inserts themselves into it reveals the insecurities they have in life and in their beliefs.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
This is the feeblest, dumbest, lamest, most transparent bouncy lie in ages!
To be so stupid as to overlook the fact an 80-year-old would be on Medicare! Unbelievable.
I am not familiar with DUmmyTriana, but he could be a budding DUmp star.

Triana is a tranny huh?

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
Her insurance co most likely will not pay for it because Medicaid will.  Sometimes, if a person has 2 policies, Medicaid a secondary, you bill Medicaid, get paid a portion then bill the secondary for the remainder,  or some companies want to see if Medicaid will pay for it, so you do what is called billing for denial. 

All extra work for the billing dept of the clinic or MD.  No overhead at all keeping 2 or 3 billers busy in a hopping office, never mind the AR issue of payments getting to you anywhere from 30-90 days later. 

Wonder what the cash price is for the procedures.  Bet the son or daughter could get them both done for about 1500 bucks or less.  How much is me ma's live worth anyway.
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
And the dummies believe that if we all get medicare or whatever that 84 year old women will get mammograms. Obama will give them a bottle of pain pills and call it a day.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
I work for a couple of GI doctors and they see some military patients.  It seems to me that Tricare, which I believe covers military members, does not approve screening colonoscopies for people over 50, even though the American College of Gastroenterology recommends that all adults over 50 have screening colonoscopies once every 10 years. 

That may have changed - maybe someone can tell me if that is true or not. 

Is Tricare a government-run health insurance program? 

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
I am 56. I have Aetna as my insurance carrier. They pay damned near anything I ask them to. If my Doc suggested I need a colonoscopy every year, they wouldn't bat an eye. Perhaps ya need to actually buy GOOD insurance DUmmie! Or is she covered by some union retirement plan? In that case, I'm positive mediCare would pick up the slack.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:27:08 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Kaiser is about as close to their utopia as private medical care gets. In fact, it's better than anything the government could run.

This bouncy bounces like a dead cat.

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
Re: Of rationing health care, death camps, Kaiser Permenente, and my 80+ year ol
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
I work for a couple of GI doctors and they see some military patients.  It seems to me that Tricare, which I believe covers military members, does not approve screening colonoscopies for people over 50, even though the American College of Gastroenterology recommends that all adults over 50 have screening colonoscopies once every 10 years. 

Nope, not correct.  Retired so I have tri-care 
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...

Navy medicine recommends colonoscopies at regular intervals for those over either 45 or 50 (I forget) and they are covered. Getting the appointment is the hard part.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
So maybe they were just saying that to get out of the colonoscopies..........

:cheersmate: