Author Topic: DU Discusses C4C; Racism, then Hilarity Ensues  (Read 452 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
DU Discusses C4C; Racism, then Hilarity Ensues
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
AlphaCentauri (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-04-09 10:45 AM
Original message
‘Clunkers’ raises prices, hurts poor
 Source: GadsdenTimes

The popular Cash for Clunkers helped new car dealers, but it is dramatically raising the price of relatively inexpensive used cars, hurting the poor, dealers say.
The Car Allowance Rebate System, commonly called Cash for Clunkers, took 690,000 operable cars out of the market that is beginning to reflect effects of the shortage.

A smaller supply of used cars in the next six months will affect the auto-parts market that lower-income drivers and hobbyists rely on to keep their older cars running.

Ronnie Watkins, a Ford dealer in Gadsden, said he told his car buyers not to even attend a recent auto auction for used cars because prices have gone up.

“I bought 20 Ford Fusions from a wholesaler about three weeks ago,” Watkins said. “This car has now gone up over $1,000.”

Read more: http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20090903/NEWS/90903...

Liberal_in_LA  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-04-09 10:47 AM
Response to Original message
1. unintended consequences. K&R

Demeter  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-04-09 12:42 PM
Response to Reply #1
35. Oh, I Think The Consequences Were Intentional 
 Because the people who depend on used cars (also known as economically disadvantaged, or poor) wouldn't be able to turn in their clunkers for expensive new cars anyway. Stomp on the poor, that's the game! Like whack a mole.

sinkingfeeling  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-04-09 10:52 AM
3. Sorry, I call bulls**t on this. CARS didn't take 690,000 cars out of the resale market because they
 Edited on Fri Sep-04-09 10:53 AM by sinkingfeeling
were never in it. Without the rebat program, somebody would still be driving them.

Just another industry, used car sales, to blame something else for their raising prices because of greed.

Dogtown  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-04-09 11:15 AM
5. Complaints of a (black) Democrat President's policy
 in the rural deep south?

I'm slightly distrustful of this article.

madokie  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-04-09 11:32 AM
Response to Reply #5
11. slightly?
 hell I'll full blown distrustful of this article.
Its all about the color of the mans skin and nothing more. If not for that he would be hailed as the most bestest of all Presidents because of his easy manner and progressive ideas on ways to better most of all our everyday lives.

JonQ (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-04-09 03:19 PM
Response to Reply #5
65. Yep, this is an old racist canard
 Down here we routinely make jokes about how the blacks are all working to make used cars more expensive thus putting poor people at a disadvantage, when they aren't eating watermelon.

Yeup, that's the only reason for this.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6462766
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Re: DU Discusses C4C; Racism, then Hilarity Ensues
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »
sinkingfeeling  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-04-09 10:52 AM
3. Sorry, I call bulls**t on this. CARS didn't take 690,000 cars out of the resale market because they
 Edited on Fri Sep-04-09 10:53 AM by sinkingfeeling
were never in it. Without the rebat program, somebody would still be driving them.

Just another industry, used car sales, to blame something else for their raising prices because of greed.

Some would have been traded in by now, some later this year or next year or the year after.  Now those old "clunkers" are gone from the market period.  The dealers know and understand this, and so can raise their prices on used cars accordingly.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: DU Discusses C4C; Racism, then Hilarity Ensues
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Yeah,everything is racisim. :whatever: