Author Topic: primitives bash federal employees  (Read 1243 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives bash federal employees
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6451761

Oh my.

What a firestorm.

Hannah Bell  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 01:36 AM
Original message

Obama cuts pay for federal workers

Invoking the state of “national emergency” declared soon after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, President Barack Obama on Monday issued a letter to congress reducing statutory 2010 pay increases for 1.3 million workers employed by the federal government.

Obama reduced scheduled pay increases to 2 percent across-the-board from a contractually-required minimum increase of 2.4 percent. It will be the lowest cost of living adjustment for federal workers in two decades, and with inflation will mean a significant cut in real income.

...In addition, federal employees are owed increases depending upon a “comparability formula” with local pay conditions called “locality pay,” based on a statute passed by congress in 1990. Since 1990, presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and now Barack Obama have repeatedly invoked the statute’s emergency clause to block increases in locality pay. The increases have been blocked so many times that this year federal employees would be owed an average 16.5 percent increase in comparability pay in addition to the 2.4 percent cost of living hike.

Obama also cited the current economic crisis as a reason to cut pay for federal workers...Once again, the economic crisis is being used to carry out a far-reaching attack on the working class. The Obama and Bush administrations have handed trillions to Wall Street within the last year. The cost of carrying on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for one year are about five times as much.
When it comes to the taxpayer-subsidized, multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses doled out to the top bankers, Obama has repeatedly said he does not “disparage wealth” or “begrudge anybody for achieving success.” The adminitration has repeatedly opposed any caps on executive pay and bonuses. The president’s magnanimity over pay evidently does not extend to his own employees.

It is also noteworthy that Obama did not block much higher scheduled pay hikes for military employees, who will see increases of either 3.4 percent or 2.9 percent in 2010.

Adding gratuitous insult to injury, Obama copied, virtually verbatim, an order issued in the name of George W. Bush in 2007 blocking pay increases for federal workers in 2008...

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/sep2009/fede-s03.shtm...

The bonfire's too big, too engaged, to bring much of it over here.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 04:43 PM
Response to Original message

42. really? a 2% increase instead of a 2.4% increase will mean a "significant cut in real income"?

gad, what morons are employed by wsw.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 07:11 PM
Response to Reply #50

72. oh for pity and reason's sake. this is too ridiculous.

Federal workers are fairly well compensated and have excellent benefits. Forgive me if I'm far more concerned about ordinary workers and the working poor. You and your idiot site that you do nothing but parrot, don't give a flying **** about people. not really. you're concerned with other things. I hate the hypocrisy and lies you spew. hate it.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 07:12 PM

74. oh yeah, unrecommended with the greatest of pleasure, dear.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 07:46 PM
Response to Reply #80

81. feel free. and you're in a very select group of people who post blatantly dishonest crap and propaganda. that's the only shit I unrec.

Well, what franksolich gets out of this bonfire is that the Hannah Bell primitive is now on his excresence list, being disrespectful of the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive.

franksolich has no love for the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive, but she is after all a higher ranked primitive than the Hannah Bell primitive, and the Hannah Bell primitive needs to respect her betters.

The bobbling primitive, who hasn't been offered a room yet, by the cross-eyed Iowa primitive, the "Hawkeye-X" primitive:

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-03-09 08:37 PM

89. Poor folk have it worse than that.... We don't get any COLA AT ALL FOR TWO YEARS!

Yeah, that's gonna make life much more liveable.

This is why I worked for the Dems.

NOT
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: primitives bash federal employees
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:09 AM »

89. Poor folk have it worse than that.... We don't get any COLA AT ALL FOR TWO YEARS!

NOT

Damn that free money being tied to the government.  DAMN THEM!!! 

No increases in free money for 2 years.  That is just a crying shame.

:whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
Damn that free money being tied to the government.  DAMN THEM!!! 

No increases in free money for 2 years.  That is just a crying shame.

:whatever:

KC

Social Security COLA is 0% then why is federal COLA 2%??

The locality pay thing is stupid. They should just abolish it and start over.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »

NOT
The dirty, smelly wino DUmmy bobbolink, who lives in a car parked somewhere in Denver, may
need the money.

She didn't mention it, but most of the winos who live in cars live in some kind of big old sedan,
maybe from the 70's or 80's.

I wonder if DUmmy bobbolink is worried about an increase in her welfare dole in order to make
payments on a new car from the cash for clunkers boondoggle.

Of course, it would be a little harder to live in one of the Yugo-esque econoboxes that are the
stars of the cash for clunkers giveaway.

She would have to scale back on the number of trashbags of old clothes and junk, and there
wouldn't be room in the trunk for her WalMart shopping cart.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »
The union for the federal employees is fairly Liberal.

The paycuts they're getting is just another case of the guy they voted for tossing them under the bus.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
Anyone care to bet that we hear about many of them getting bonuses next year?

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
Anyone care to bet that we hear about many of them getting bonuses next year?

Don't think bonuses happen for Feds.  Only way I can get one is if I happen to reenlist at the right time.  (Like how I got screwed out of a $24,000 bonus because I reenlisted two months before they started giving it again  :censored:)
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »
Don't think bonuses happen for Feds.  Only way I can get one is if I happen to reenlist at the right time.  (Like how I got screwed out of a $24,000 bonus because I reenlisted two months before they started giving it again  :censored:)

I'm not sure, but I think they may get them, maybe not the peons, but there'll be some.