Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss People Who Define Their Era  (Read 655 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmies Discuss People Who Define Their Era
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »
omega minimo  (1000+ posts)       Thu Aug-27-09 08:38 PM
Original message
Boom Icons passing on. Cronkite, Shriver, MJ :yoiks: Teddy... who will be the Future Icons, Gen XYZ? 

Who is defining the times for you? Jon Stewart comes to mind. Slightly younger then MJ, maybe a tail end Boomer, sorting through all the Total BS as only someone awake before Reagan took office can, for comedic purposes and as a public service to those who come after. Ya can't make this shit up. A comedian/actor ends up being the news zeitgeist go-to guy pointing out the absurdity of absurdities spawned by policies of the comedian/actor who played Governor of California and then President.

When HIstory Repeats, when Ahnolt is the Fuhrer someday, who will sort it all out? Will Jon Stewart be the grizzled old grandpa of journalism that Cronkite was?

It doesn't need to be a "Who's the Next ________" thing. Who is inspiring, guiding, chronicling, leading, expressing this young generation now?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6406904

Systematic Chaos  (1000+ posts)      Thu Aug-27-09 08:46 PM
Response to Original message
3. The Gen Jones-ers are going to be next, then us X'ers.
 There are a lot of brilliant musicians which were born in the 60s and were influenced by the British Invasion and Progressive rock icons of the late 60s and on. Plenty of the "dinosaurs" from the Boomer/early Jones era are still going strong. Hell, even Yes is due to make a new album this year!

Jon Stewart has lots of time left in him, barring an unforseen tragedy. Us X'ers are barely hitting our 40s right now, and there's no reason why many of us can't be productive for another 30 - 40 years. Hopefully, the masses won't become too dumbed down to appreciate us in the meantime. 

Ironic that DUmmy Systematic Chaos is only one who mentions productivity. Weighing in at a quarter-ton,
confined by his grotesque physique to a reinforced barcalounger, the enormous DUmmy's productivity is
less than zero. His mention of 30-40 years is kind of strange, given that he's unlikely to last another 5.

orpupilofnature57 (1000+ posts)        Thu Aug-27-09 08:49 PM
5. Bill Maher , Keith Olbermann ,Rachel Maddow, Marilyn Manson
Anyone who hates Murdock.

How would you like to have that as your pantheon of heroes?
Keef, a couple queers, and a snotty atheist.
Pretty much the democrat party in a nutshell.

Withywindle  (1000+ posts)      Thu Aug-27-09 09:01 PM
10. Barack Obama, of course.
Gens X and Y came out in droves for him. Look at the election night photos again. Lots of old people weeping with joy - and lots of young ones too.

On the news or punditry front, I agree about Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow. (Rachel actually is a Gen Xer, born 1973--wow, she's 4 years younger than me!) Stephen Colbert, too. (When does Gen X start - he was born in 1964).

Future politicians? Well, that's pretty mad speculation. Who had heard of Barack Obama 10 years ago? Maybe the first woman President will be Chelsea Clinton. Or Malia Obama. Or someone currently obscure who won't stay that way for much longer.

Ten years ago, the Kenyan was a young muslim just a few years out of madrassa, still brimming with
youthful dreams of beheading infidels. Two years ago he was still unknown, having done nothing that
would bring him to anyone's attention. Just a little over a year ago, he finally discovered his true talent,
which is simply being black.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: DUmmies Discuss People Who Define Their Era
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
Just a little over a year ago, he finally discovered his true talent,
which is simply being black.

Don't you mean simply having more the skin tones of his daddy than his mama?

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
Withywindle  (1000+ posts)      Thu Aug-27-09 09:01 PM
10. .........
Future politicians? Well, that's pretty mad speculation. Who had heard of Barack Obama 10 years ago? Maybe the first woman President will be Chelsea Clinton. Or Malia Obama. Or someone currently obscure who won't stay that way for much longer.

Oh, I suspect we know who she is, DUmmie.  I also suspect we won't have to wait much longer for that day to arrive.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:01:37 AM »
These people are all idiots. Nobody is going to remember Jon Stewart in a few years, he is not defining anything except bad television.

Just one question... who is this Jones they keep talking about?? Paula?

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »
These people are all idiots. Nobody is going to remember Jon Stewart in a few years, he is not defining anything except bad television.

Somehow, Jim Jones came to mind. 

Are they seriously defining their generation by some talking heads on TV?  Is that all their generation is worth?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know!
I thought maybe Quincy or Casey.
But these are DUmmies, so it's probably Pacman.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
What's scary is that a$$holes like this are allowed to vote.

I'm reminded of this video....

How Obama Got Elected... Interviews With Obama Voters

Scary $hit. Especially the Obama jungle song at the beginning. But it doesn't last long.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
-Thomas Jefferson
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:09:34 AM »

Scary $hit. Especially the Obama jungle song at the beginning. But it doesn't last long.

Leftism is a cult. Like seeing all those reporters "reporting live from outside the Kennedy Cult Compound"

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
Jon Stewart comes to mind

WTF???????? You're outa your frikkin' mind! Stewart is nothing more than a comedic HACK! Do you really think he is some kind of political guru? He's not interested in anything except ratings and his salary!

For cryin' out loud! I didn't think even DUmmies were that stupid! Will wonders never cease!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:15:27 AM »
Somehow, Jim Jones came to mind. 

Are they seriously defining their generation by some talking heads on TV?  Is that all their generation is worth?
Generation Jones is a term coined by Jonathan Pontell to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965. The term is used primarily in English-speaking countries and Western Europe[1], although it is used to some degree globally.[2][3][4] The birth years typically used in the U.S. are 1954-1965, but these tend to vary slightly in other countries, usually starting no earlier than 1953, and ending no later than 1968.[5]

Jonathan Pontell defined Generation Jones as a distinct concept[6] Prior to the popularization of Pontell’s theory, its members were identified with either Baby Boomers or GenerationX'ers.

The name “Generation Jones” has several connotations, including a large anonymous generation, a “Keeping up with the Joneses” competitiveness and the slang word "jones" or “jonesing”, meaning a yearning or craving.[7] [8][9][10][11] It is said that Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the 1960s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age in the 1970s, leaving them with a certain unrequited, jonesing quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P