Author Topic: Brit Hume Undermines '60 Minutes' Hit Job on Rove  (Read 3483 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Brit Hume Undermines '60 Minutes' Hit Job on Rove
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
FNC’s Brit Hume, in his Monday “Grapevine” segment, undermined CBS’s Sunday night 60 Minutes scoop about Karl Rove’s smear efforts to destroy former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, a Democrat now in federal prison for bribery, “some say, only because of his politics,” CBS’s Scott Pelley framed his story. Hume relayed how “Rove says he does not recall ever meeting the woman who is accusing him of asking her to help dig up dirt on” Siegelman “and he say he was never given a chance to respond to the charges she made Sunday on 60 Minutes.”

Specifically, Jill Simpson “said Rove asked her to get pictures of Siegelman in a compromising sexual position with an aide” but, Hume pointed out, “the Associated Press reports Simpson has never made that allegation before -- despite several hours of interviews with congressional lawyers, reporters and a sworn affidavit.” As for CBS’s claim they had “contacted Rove” for a response, Hume noted:

But Rove and his lawyer, attorney Robert Luskin, say CBS brought up the allegations only in an off-the-record telephone interview last October. Luskin says, quote: "After 60 Minutes made the decision to publicize these charges, no one from 60 Minutes approached Mr. Rove or gave him an opportunity to respond on the record," end quote.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/02/25/brit-hume-undermines-60-minutes-hit-job-rove
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Brit Hume Undermines '60 Minutes' Hit Job on Rove
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
I LIKE & RESPECT Brit Hume. He's one of the few reporters that generally leaves his personal politics out of his reporting.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
I LIKE & RESPECT Brit Hume. He's one of the few reporters that generally leaves his personal politics out of his reporting.

Gonna be a sad say at FNC when he leaves too.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »

Brit Hume leaves his politics out of his reporting? Are you kidding me?

:lmao:
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »

Yes he does.  And he does it better than any other tv broadcaster out there.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »

GFY, TNO--are you saying any of the alphabet reporters/talking heads do?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »
Didn't Jill Simpson retract some of her earlier statements or get caught lying? I thought I read that somewhere.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »

I have to agree with TNO, Brit Hume's bias shows but it usually is in the last 1/2 hour of his show when he does "The Grapevine" and has his "Special Report Panel", which is my favorite part of his show.  His bias doesn't really show when he is just reporting the news in the first half of his show but the difference is that he doesn't claim to be an unbiased reporter who simply just reports the news, it's a "news show" not the 5:00 news. 

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
Didn't Jill Simpson retract some of her earlier statements or get caught lying? I thought I read that somewhere.....

Newsbusters.org caught her in some lies.

So far no retractions that I'm aware of from her or the DBM.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:14:33 AM »

I have to agree with TNO, Brit Hume's bias shows but it usually is in the last 1/2 hour of his show when he does "The Grapevine" and has his "Special Report Panel", which is my favorite part of his show.  His bias doesn't really show when he is just reporting the news in the first half of his show but the difference is that he doesn't claim to be an unbiased reporter who simply just reports the news, it's a "news show" not the 5:00 news. 

Grapevine is merely reporting of factual stories.  There's no opinion in what he does there.

The panel is clearly opinion from everyone seated at the table and should be obvious to anyone who watches the show.

What TNO is accusing Hume of...rather incorrectly from my professional viewpoint is opinion journalism.  That's where the reporter instead of writing and producing a "hardnews" piece on whatever they are covering...uses speculation...opinion and personal bias in every aspect of the story.

Otherwise known as what you see on the DBM every night at 5:30.

Shep Smith is good at that kind of "Journalism" where FNC is concerned on Studio B.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »

Grapevine is merely reporting of factual stories.  There's no opinion in what he does there.

The panel is clearly opinion from everyone seated at the table and should be obvious to anyone who watches the show.

What TNO is accusing Hume of...rather incorrectly from my professional viewpoint is opinion journalism.  That's where the reporter instead of writing and producing a "hardnews" piece on whatever they are covering...uses speculation...opinion and personal bias in every aspect of the story.

Otherwise known as what you see on the DBM every night at 5:30.

Shep Smith is good at that kind of "Journalism" where FNC is concerned on Studio B.

Shepard Smith drives me nuts.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

Shepard Smith drives me nuts.

I could tolerate him and even enjo his show up until the point where he went bonkers during Katrina.

He lost all sense of objectivity and focus when he was doinghis show form there.

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »

Yes he does.  And he does it better than any other tv broadcaster out there.

Damn right... you don't stick around ABC for 20 plus years (Mr. Hume's old job) skating by on bias. . .

:thatsright:

Wait, yeah you do...but . . .not  the bias TNO says he does. :p

*TKay*

Offline Bh

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:16 PM »
I would have thought SEE BS would have learned their lesson from Memo-gate, apparently not.

Brit Hume is all class, and the smartest guy in the room. Some of the faces he makes when Juan (yes I am a racist) Williams is ranting nonsense, are priceless!