Author Topic: primitives getting despondent  (Read 688 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives getting despondent
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6364449

Oh my.

ClearPresentDanger (52 posts)       Fri Aug-21-09 05:06 PM
Original message

Just 7 people are preventing health care reform. JUST SEVEN.

Correct me if I am wrong:

HR 3200 has passed the house.

The whip count in the senate is 43.

Reid can introduce HR 3200 whenever he wants (I don't know the senate number of the bill).

They get 7 more votes, that's 50 with Biden to break the tie.

If they don't change a word of HR 3200, there's no reconciliation, it goes straight to Obamas desk.

JUST. SEVEN.

*I don't know if HR 3200 is revenue neutral (if it costs money, it would take 60 votes..or is it 66?) But it doesn't matter. Once it's signed by the President it, it's law until overturned by the courts. The admin could stall the case for years if it wanted. Or the congress could make it legal retroactively. They've already had practice making things legal retroactively, with the military commissions act.

closeupready  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-21-09 05:08 PM
Response to Original message

1. Name names. Who are the seven?

ClearPresentDanger (52 posts)       Fri Aug-21-09 05:12 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. any seven of the other senators in congress will do

Even repbubs are welcome, but I don't expect any of them to. So it's 7 out of the remaining 17 *Democratic* senators.

If Kennedy and Bird can't vote, the number goes up to 9.

Who's this Senator Bird?  Anybody know?

Eric J in MN  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-21-09 05:12 PM

4. It would be filibustered as one bill.

They will have to put the public option into Reconcliation to pass it through the Senate, and pass the rest separately (since Reconciliation is for budget items and the insurance industry regulations aren't budget items.)

ClearPresentDanger (52 posts)       Fri Aug-21-09 05:46 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. I can see your point

I don't know enough about senate rules to be sure, but if even 1 dem joined the repubs (a near certainty), they would be be able to filibuster. Which brings it up to 17 people preventing health care reform.

Correct me if I'm wrong again, but don't all filibusters eventually fail unless the other party concedes? It didn't google readily but I think the record is something like 4 months.

And Reid can make them do 'sleep on cots and read from the phone book' type filibuster.

"In current practice, Senate Rule 22 permits filibusters in which actual continuous floor speeches are not required, although the Senate Majority Leader may require an actual traditional filibuster if he or she so chooses."

I think it's worth trying and failing, rather than slowly losing everything, which is what appears to be happening now.

FarCenter (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-21-09 05:41 PM

5. You are wrong, HR 3200 has not passed the House.

It has been reported out of three committees, House Energy and Commerce, House Ways and Means, and House Education and Labor.

Two committees, House Oversight and Government Reform and House Budget, have not acted yet.

The full House has not considered the bill yet.

kimmerspixelated  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-21-09 06:04 PM

8. Then that's 7 people that needs their ass kicked!!!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: primitives getting despondent
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »
kimmerspixelated  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-21-09 06:04 PM

8. Then that's 7 people that needs their ass kicked!!!

Yeah right! Aren't you the "One"!

We see it as 43 who need their ass kicked, suck it, DUmbass!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
What the primitives don't realize is that they will be screaming abnout the Republicans repealing this bill in four years from now, and it will be repealed with 65-68 Republican Senators and maybe 300 Republican House members.  The repeal will be signed by a Republican President then--Rick Perry, most likely.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:05 PM »
What the primitives don't realize is that they will be screaming abnout the Republicans repealing this bill in four years from now, and it will be repealed with 65-68 Republican Senators and maybe 300 Republican House members.  The repeal will be signed by a Republican President then--Rick Perry, most likely.
We won't need that many after we burn down the NE libs and California.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »
FarCenter (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-21-09 05:41 PM

5. You are wrong, HR 3200 has not passed the House.

It has been reported out of three committees, House Energy and Commerce, House Ways and Means, and House Education and Labor.

Two committees, House Oversight and Government Reform and House Budget, have not acted yet.

The full House has not considered the bill yet.

Party pooper.

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »
We won't need that many after we burn down the NE libs and California.

We in the Northeast can burn off a few libs all on our own, TYVM . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »
We in the Northeast can burn off a few libs all on our own, TYVM . . .

I hope you've bought carbon credits for that...

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45:54 AM »
I hope you've bought carbon credits for that...

We'd have to use the high-tempereature incinerators at Anniston Army Depot that the Army used to incinerate its chemical weapons stockpiles. 

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
We'd have to use the high-tempereature incinerators at Anniston Army Depot that the Army used to incinerate its chemical weapons stockpiles. 

Hmmmm.  We've got the former chemical weapons facility here at Rocky Flats.  Close proximity to Denver, and The PR of Boulder.

Thanks BBS, ye gots the gears in me wee noggin just a whirrin' away now... :II:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »

No way. You are dreaming.

The Repubs may have a slight majority in the Senate in 2012. But a "slight majority" means the Democrats can filibuster. And they would.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
No way. You are dreaming.

The Repubs may have a slight majority in the Senate in 2012. But a "slight majority" means the Democrats can filibuster. And they would.

Naaah--the Republicans will get back the fillibuster in 2010, and maybe get nominal control of the chamber.  Of the 33 Senate seats up for grabs in 2012, do you know how many of those are currently held by Dems?  24 of them.  If the Republicans get within three of the Dems in 2010--53-47, say--with a tremendously unpopular Democratic president (as Obama will be by then), the Dems would be in for a severe ass-kicking.  It may not be 68, or even 65, but it will probably be over 61.  And that would be enough.

Chase her.