Author Topic: Rep. Massa: I will vote against the interests of my district  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Rep. Massa: I will vote against the interests of my district

Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) addressed an intimate group of Netroots activists during their annual Netroots Nation gathering in Pittsburgh this weekend. Mr. Massa reiterated his support for a single-payer health care bill. He discussed the risks he takes for wanting to support such a measure in his "right-wing Republican district."

According to Swing State Project, Mr. Massa won his 2008 race by 2 percentage points. The district's voting pattern index (PVI) is a Republican +5 seat.   The National Republican Congressional Committee has the upstate New York congressman in their sights for 2010 along with 69 other House Democrats as reported by Politico.   The transcript is below, and check out the corresponding video above.

*snip*

MASSA: I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful.

Massa: I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them.

I hope this is repeated early and often during the next election.  What an idiot.

Video at LINK
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Rep. Massa: I will vote against the interests of my district
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
It's news that a Dim believes he knows better than anyone else?   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »
It's news that a Dim believes he knows better than anyone else?   ::) ::)
No, but it is news that he freely admits it in public.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »
No, but it is news that he freely admits it in public.
:lmao:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
you can't make this stuff up!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline WMD Owl

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
 :rotf:  With Democrats like him, taking back the House is MUCH easier.

Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) addressed an intimate group of Netroots activists during their annual Netroots Nation gathering in Pittsburgh this weekend. Mr. Massa reiterated his support for a single-payer health care bill. He discussed the risks he takes for wanting to support such a measure in his "right-wing Republican district."

According to Swing State Project, Mr. Massa won his 2008 race by 2 percentage points. The district's voting pattern index (PVI) is a Republican +5 seat.   The National Republican Congressional Committee has the upstate New York congressman in their sights for 2010 along with 69 other House Democrats as reported by Politico.   The transcript is below, and check out the corresponding video above.

MASSA: I’m not going to vote for 3200 as it’s currently written.  Step one, I will vote for a single payer option or a bill that does have a medicare coupled public option, which we don’t have right now.  If my town hall meetings turn into the same media frenzies and ridiculousness, because every time that happens we lose. We lose another three million people in America.  They see that happening and negate us.

PARTICIPANT: It changes America.

MASSA: Every time that occurs.  So what happens in my town hall meetings frankly is important, because I am in one of the most right wing Republican districts in the country, and I’m not asking you guys to go back to wherever and send people to me.  This is a generic statement of what can I do?  Well that’s one thing we can do.

PARTICIPANT: So if we got your meetings to sixty forty, you’d vote…and there was single payer in a bill you would vote for it?

MASSA:  Oh absolutely I would vote for single payer.

PARTICIPANT: If there was sixty forty sentiment in the room?

MASSA: Listen, I tell every audience I’m in favor of single payer.

PARTICIPANT: If there was eighty twenty in the room?

MASSA: If there was a single payer bill?

PARTICIPANT: And there was a single payer….

MASSA:  I will vote for the single payer bill.

PARTICIPANT: Even if it meant you were being voted out of office?

MASSA: I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/watercooler/2009/aug/16/video-rep-massa-i-will-vote-against-interests-my-d/   :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
This man has dumb ass written all over him
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline WMD Owl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
This man has dumb ass written all over him

We need more Dumbass Democrats running in Districts where Bush did well (or won) in 2004.  Let them blow off the voters like this.  20-25 seat change is doable in 2010.  Maybe more if everything goes to Hell on the economy.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
Wonder how the Rats are going to spin his words for him? What a huge :loser:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
[youtube=425,350]IXWmVBadWvU[/youtube]

In his own words.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
Well, you do have to give it to him that he is going for what he believes instead of what would be popular.  Of course you could say the same thing of the Cheka or the SS.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
Well, you do have to give it to him that he is going for what he believes instead of what would be popular.  Of course you could say the same thing of the Cheka or the SS.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's not what a "representative" is for. Going for what "he believes". He's a representative.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »
We need more Dumbass Democrats running in Districts where Bush did well (or won) in 2004.  Let them blow off the voters like this.  20-25 seat change is doable in 2010.  Maybe more if everything goes to Hell on the economy.

The economy doesn't have to go to Hell, it's already there.  NONE of Zero's "plans" have/will work, and if energy prices continue up, the economy will continue down....

Zero is too much of a communist to do the right thing....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »
The economy doesn't have to go to Hell, it's already there.  NONE of Zero's "plans" have/will work, and if energy prices continue up, the economy will continue down....

Zero is too much of a communist to do the right thing....

Thing is, energy may go down for a bit, and more people will still lose their jobs.  The economy will continue to get worse.  I saw a list on the National Review website that targeted 70 Dems.  I've heard that the NRCC is targeting 80 seats.  If the economy's as bad as I think it's going to be next year, it could be 100-plus.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:18:18 AM »
I will vote against the interests of my district.

I actually am inclined to show a bit of respect for a politician who's willing to go out on a leap, and do what he believes is right... regardless of the political repercussions.

Of course, that doesn't quite apply here  :lmao:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:29:36 AM by Gratiot »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »

I actually am inclined to show a bit of respect for a politician who's willing to go out on a leap, and do what he believes is right... regardless of the political repercussions.

I don't quite understand your statement. These representatives are elected to REPRESENT their constituency, not vote on policies at their own whims. He should be tarred and feathered, then dumped out of town.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »

Marie Antoinette held her head high as she thought she was "in the right" also......gave a great target for the guillotine.. :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
OMG.....watching Neil Cavuto ...and he just used my Marie Antoinette analogy!!!!! :o :o :o

Does this mean that he reads CC?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »
OMG.....watching Neil Cavuto ...and he just used my Marie Antoinette analogy!!!!! :o :o :o

Doesn't everyone?   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
Only the smart read it all others get their info from the dump :lmao:

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »
I don't quite understand your statement. These representatives are elected to REPRESENT their constituency, not vote on policies at their own whims. He should be tarred and feathered, then dumped out of town.

Indeed, I agree that are elected to represent their constituency.  However I believe they're led to represent their constituency as they see fit, not necessarily how their constituency sees so.

Granted, if by doing so that veers too far off course or on the wrong issues, their constituents are rightfully free to seek their removal from office.

When George Bush was in office, he did not always base his decisions on what was popular at the time.  He followed the conviction in his heart and what he logically believed was best for our nation.  I have an utmost respect for that trait, even if I don't necessarily agree with the issue being stood for.

Have we not mocked and lambasted Hillary Clinton over her campaigning by the polls and such? 

Did some not cheer, when South Carolina Governor and low life cheater Mark Sanford show the fortitude to deprive his own constituents of Federal Bail Out funds?  While that gets a bit complicated, he did show at least an initial consideration to to what many thought was the right thing... at the expense of his constituents.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Ah, but that is NOT what the people elected their Reps to do! They elected the Rep in order have Washington listen to THEIR voices! A Rep's personal agenda has nothing to do with the office they are elected to! Me thinks, perhaps they need to read the Constitution in order to get their job description!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »
Marie Antoinette held her head high as she thought she was "in the right" also......gave a great target for the guillotine.. :uhsure:

Again, it doesn't always apply  :-)

Assuredly!  You're famous  :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »
Ah, but that is NOT what the people elected their Reps to do! They elected the Rep in order have Washington listen to THEIR voices! A Rep's personal agenda has nothing to do with the office they are elected to! Me thinks, perhaps they need to read the Constitution in order to get their job description!

In theory, I'm inclined to partially agree.  In reality, I don't believe that has ever been the course.  Once some one is elected, their constituents concerns are often quickly over shadowed by those of the politician's political party.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »
When George Bush was in office, he did not always base his decisions on what was popular at the time.  He followed the conviction in his heart and what he logically believed was best for our nation.  I have an utmost respect for that trait, even if I don't necessarily agree with the issue being stood for.

I think there is quite a bit of difference between a Rep, representing his district, and the job of leading the free world! To begin with, Bush was privy to info not shared with the public. We may never know why and how he made decisions we did not agree with, but a Rep listens to his people and is supposed to forward their opinions into congress.

That's their frikkin' JOB! Not forwarding his/her idea of what the country should be in their opinion! Not their choice! It's the people's choice!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!