Author Topic: Pedro Picasso suggests free speech zones  (Read 401 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Pedro Picasso suggests free speech zones
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6265376

Oh my.

FarPoint (125 posts)      Mon Aug-10-09 07:53 AM
Original message

A possible solution for town hall meeting disruption.

Post that all disruptors will be sent to a second room to have a discussion there after the first meeting. Have law enforcement present. It is unacceptable to terrorize others around you in a meeting at the current level. It is abusive and unpredictable; safety is always primary.

drm604  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-10-09 07:58 AM
Response to Original message

1. Simply have law enforcement remove disruptors from the room completely.

Why reward them with later discussion? If they show that they're not interested in calm discussion then there's no point in trying to discuss things with them.

FarPoint (125 posts)      Mon Aug-10-09 08:05 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. Just trying to be fair..........if the distruptor has no audience....I doubt they will stay or disrupt much....yet, their message can be heard.

endarkenment (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-10-09 08:32 AM
Response to Reply #3

7. fair to whom and why?

These people set out to disrupt the meeting and prevent discussion. There is nothing to be fair about. This is an organized effort to destroy this administration and defeat by bullying health care reform legislation. These are not individuals just exercising their free speech rights. There is nothing here to be fair about. People who want to discuss health care are free to do so, people who want to disrupt that discussion are not.

ejpoeta  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-10-09 08:46 AM
Response to Reply #3

8. frankly, since their objective is to disrupt i do not think this would work.

they would either raise a big stink refusing to leave, or else holler from the other room loud enough to continue to disurpt. i mean, if the people who were outside that one meeting were banging on the windows and yelling, and they were outside just because there wasn't enough room.... then it doesn't seem like anything is going to stop them from attempting to disrupt.

I think people from the district should get preferential seating... should go first and THEN if there is any room left then enough others to fill the remaining seats should be allowed in. but rules should be established and fully explained BEFORE any meeting. and anyone who is disruptive should be made aware that disruptions will not be tolerated and anyone who is disruptive or rude will be ejected.

Pedro Picasso:

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-10-09 08:03 AM
Response to Original message

2. How about "free speech zones?"

Oh, wait, those were only for people opposing Republicans. Never mind.

Pedro Picasso gets owned again, as usual:

notesdev (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-10-09 08:26 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. Democrats have "free speech zones" too

don't you remember the 20-ft tall chain link fence with the barbed wire on top, to mark the outer boundaries of the "free speech zone" at the convention?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Pedro Picasso suggests free speech zones
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »
Coach, I think this pic sums it up . . .

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
As soon as the primitives start complaining about it being wrong for college students to shout down conservative speakers when they've been invited to speak on campus, then I'll reconsider not calling the primitives hypocrites.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »
As soon as the primitives start complaining about it being wrong for college students to shout down conservative speakers when they've been invited to speak on campus, then I'll reconsider not calling the primitives hypocrites.

I think you're pretty safe on that one.  :lmao: