Author Topic: Debating  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Debating
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
Recently, one of my computers has taken ill. It just arbitrarily locks up from time to time, causing me to have to reboot. No BSODs, Error messages (from the Event Viewer in the Admin Panel) seem to point to the ide controller. The numerous and frequent power outages that we seem to have seems to have contributed to the problem because this didn't start until the time before last power outage. Usually, my motherboard has rebounded without flaw. However, it is getting old. My 1.4 GHZ AMD Athlon Thunderbird, seems to be ok and holding it's own. It has been a workhorse, that's for sure. My options are to obtain an Abit KG-7 RAID motherboard for around $35 and do a direct swap with no software problems or obtain a newer motherboard, processor, RAM, vid card, etc at a much higher expense and rework windows for the new motherboard.  I probably need to consider the power supply, too.  What would you tech heads recommend?? (bear in mind, I have extremely limited funds)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Debating
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
Good lord.  
1.4 GHZ AMD Athlon Thunderbird

You probably won't find any boards to support your CPU, but here's a bundled board, and you might be able to use your RAM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3441557&CatId=1181

BAH! It's a micro ATX.  It's gonna be damn hard to find ANYTHING, even a 939 socket board I have dosen't show up anymore.

Really, really think about a bare-bones system.
This is about as cheap as you'll get:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4545143&CatId=332
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:45:24 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »
I found a direct replacement KG-7 RAID board on eBay. Says it is "NEW".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:48:15 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
I woulden't trust E-Prey for comp stuff, but if your'e brave..................................
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
The one you showed me wouldn't work. :(  This is a "server" machine and I have like 5 hard drives in it, plus two optical drives. Hell, my PCI cards wouldn't even fit on that board !!

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Would a workaround like installing a PCI IDE controller card and abandoning the onboard one work in this case ?

You can pick them up fairly cheaply here

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
I woulden't trust E-Prey for comp stuff, but if your'e brave...
I've used it two or three times with success, but I avoid auctions.  I only buy from stores with fixed prices.  I haven't gotten burned yet.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »
Would a workaround like installing a PCI IDE controller card and abandoning the onboard one work in this case ?

You can pick them up fairly cheaply here

That could work, but for twice as much, I could get a replacement motherboard.  Still :???:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »
That could work, but for twice as much, I could get a replacement motherboard.  Still :???:

If you can get a exact or similar mainboard where you don't have to get new processor/ram to go with it , then it will only cost double. Without upgrading the CPU or RAM you won't get any increase in speed.

Guess it comes down to whether you want to do a patch-up job or spend a bit more and get an upgrade.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
At this point, I don't really have the money for a total upgrade. That would include hard drives, probably the optical drives, processor, ram, new power supply, etc. and then all the fuss trying to get windows to work again with a different motherboard. The 1.4 GHz athlon seems to do what I need it to do. It performs as well as the 2.8 GHZ Pentium with Vista on it that I use at the VFW Post.

The board is identical. It's an Abit KG-7 RAID board. So, no sweat with the changeover. The eBay ad says it's "NEW". I kind of doubt that it is. It's probably a "pull", which would be OK, as long as it's not DOA.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:12:54 AM by Thor »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
Well, the guy's ad on Ebay was somewhat misrepresented. I got only a KG7 board, no RAID. Oh well. A spare PCI IDE controller and I'll be set. I finally installed the KG7 and ran into a major problem. The PC kept faulting & rebooting. It was something about ACPI calls and some other things that made me think that there was an IRQ conflict someplace, even though windows didn't show it. After doing an extensive search of the files stored in my brain, I suddenly recalled that Abit boards had a problem with their PCI slots and hardware conflicts, namely PCI slots 2 and slot 4. This is  something I ran across many years ago (2000-2001 timeframe). I had forgotten about that problem until I finally recalled that info. I had installed the sound card in slot two and the NIC in four. I moved them to slots 3 and 5 respectively, et voila, no more problems. Everything's running well this morning and I'm somewhat happy.  :-)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
Well, the guy's ad on Ebay was somewhat misrepresented

AHEM! 

Glad it's worked out for you.   :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
Shoulda just gotten that PCI - IDE Controller card first  :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
Shoulda just gotten that PCI - IDE Controller card first  :-)

I had bought one of them at Circuit City @ 2 years ago. I went back less than a month later to buy another one and nobody in the computer area had any clue as to what I was talking about.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
I had bought one of them at Circuit City @ 2 years ago. I went back less than a month later to buy another one and nobody in the computer area had any clue as to what I was talking about.

I had some entertainments watching the noob counter drone at a local store try to decipher what a "scuzzy card" was - despite one being prominently displayed in the cabinet under the counter...

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
I had some entertainments watching the noob counter drone at a local store try to decipher what a "scuzzy card" was - despite one being prominently displayed in the cabinet under the counter...
I got a chuckle when I walked into a parts store and told the 18-year-old behind the counter I needed parts for a Datsun.  The blank stare was priceless.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »

I'll admit that I had no idea, but seeing it's SCSI, it's no wonder.  I'm only familiar with what's found in most pedestrian desktops.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
Well, it turns out that I had more than one problem. Not only was the motherboard losing a couple of drives, but my sound card had gone to hell, too, causing conflicts and reboots. Now I'm sans sound on this computer. I'll have to replace my Audigy card. After some playing around, downloading the MS debugging tool and symbols kit, it showe me some hardware conflicts. Trial and error taught me that it was the sound card. However, the motherboard install went pretty good, all in all.