Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Shutting Down Free Republic  (Read 2741 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmies Discuss Shutting Down Free Republic
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
berni_mccoy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:19 PM
Original message
Prediction: FreeRepublic will be shut down before the end of Obama's first term
 Edited on Mon Aug-03-09 12:21 PM by berni_mccoy
They are openly advocating insurrection and making veiled threats toward the President at that site. This is not a free speech issue. They cannot threaten (veiled or otherwise) the President of the U.S. without consequences. It's not just a few rogue members promoting these types of statements. The founder of the site has made the case for open rebellion against the government and threatening responses in similar posts have been allowed to remain. They have been reported and I suspect they've gone too far at this point. Don't be surprised if the either the FBI or the SS begin investigating members of the site, leading to it's eventual shutdown.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6208864
Strong Atheist  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:20 PM
Response to Original message
1. Good ridance to bad rubbish. nt.

liberal N proud  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:22 PM
4. Is anyone reporting these threats to the Secret Service?

Is DUmmy liberal N  proud talking about the ones threatening Vice President Cheney?

BlueIdaho  (1000+ posts)      Mon Aug-03-09 12:25 PM
8. Wishful thinking...
They may dance right up to the edge of fighting words and hate speech, but we are stuck with them. It is an unfortunate fact that the extreme right wing fascists have decided a scorched earth policy is better than a meaningful discussion about America's future.
We need a meaningful discussion with DUmmies. That would be productive. Who wants to take DUmmy Philosoraptor?

AspenRose  (1000+ posts)      Mon Aug-03-09 12:26 PM
9. Nah. I doubt it.
I'll be very surprised if that happens.

As an aside, though, I think we will see an increase in trolls coming over here planting specific threads (and then reporting on them) to get DU shut down by the SS.
The really crazy threads, like this one, are all started by Lousy Freeper Trolls.

WeDidIt  (1000+ posts)      Mon Aug-03-09 12:28 PM
10. Only if Rim Jobinson doesn't shut down the Birthers on his site
The Birthers are killing his donation base. If he doesn't ban Birther bullshit, he'll shut down for lack of funding.

hugo_from_TN (414 posts)      Mon Aug-03-09 12:31 PM
Response to Reply #10
15. He'll probably move the birther threads to a 'dungeon' like the truther threads here.

What are they going to say when the elementary school photos of the little jihadi Lord Zero come out, the ones taken while he still had the warthog bone through his nose?

Wickerman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:29 PM
13. They certainly walk the line
and sometimes trip over. However, let them stay; keep all the freak corralled in that one cyber ghetto of a mid-90's 14 year old's version of a discussion board. It's so ugly the only people who venture there are the ever decreasing faithful and those who love to make fun of them.
Well, the DUmmy makes a point. FR has the absolute worst layout since Algore invented the internets.

LittleClarkie  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:29 PM
14. Well, at least when we did it Skinner had the sense to delete the stuff
I don't get why it was hating America when we criticized Bush, but it's not hating America when they say this stuff about Obama.
The main difference is that Bush was an American.

Even if the DUmmies decide to shut down FR, maybe they will give this place a reprieve.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: DUmmies Discuss Shutting Down Free Republic
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
 :whatever:

People in glass houses....
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
They do have a horrible layout.  I tried to join it, but just couldn't get past that.  It was headachy.  Why don't they do just a normal forum like we have? 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »
:whatever:

People in glass houses....

No freaking kidding.  If DU wasn't shut down during the last 8 years, FR will be just fine.  Remember, dissent was patriotic during the Bush years.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
Well, FR was around during th Clinton and Bush years. It is still there.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Bronzy
Goldy
Irony
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
Actually, I kinda like the fact you can look up posts made directly to you. I have never had a problem with their format, but of course I can write html.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
I see that the Thorazine drips must be dry on the Island today...It's the first of the month, maybe the meds haven't been passed around yet?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
No freaking kidding.  If DU wasn't shut down during the last 8 years, FR will be just fine.  Remember, dissent was patriotic during the Bush years.

Not necessarily.  Remember those same people that thought dissent was cool...now want to silence any voice that doesn't sound like their own.  They want to punish the soldiers they used to champion.

Like I've been saying...different President...different set of rules.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
I think the reason they want to shut it down is because it speaks to more and more people each day and they are going to be losing the power in a few more years.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
I think the reason they want to shut it down is because it speaks to more and more people each day and they are going to be losing the power in a few more years.

Yup.  And when they lose it, it will be in a big way.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
It's the 'birther' movement thats making them crazy - probably because its the equivalent of both 'selected not elected' and the 'troofer' movement rolled into one. There is a universal truth among all primitives -  They can dish it out, but can't take it.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

Especially after MoPaul's comments got $kammer the once over from the Secret Service.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
It's the 'birther' movement thats making them crazy - probably because its the equivalent of both 'selected not elected' and the 'troofer' movement rolled into one. There is a universal truth among all primitives -  They can dish it out, but can't take it.

Speaking of the Troofers. There has been much made of the fact that @25% of conservatives have doubts about 0Bama's birth certificate, but what isn't reported much is the fact that almost 1/3 of DimRats believed that the US was involved with 9-11.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:01:06 PM »
Speaking of the Troofers. There has been much made of the fact that @25% of conservatives have doubts about 0Bama's birth certificate, but what isn't reported much is the fact that almost 1/3 of DimRats believed that the US was involved with 9-11.
Maybe if I build his birth certificate out of chicken wire they'll be interested? :rofl:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
Actually, I kinda like the fact you can look up posts made directly to you. I have never had a problem with their format, but of course I can write html.

I think the FR layout is simple and easy to use.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
I think their main problem is that they worry more about what is being said about the so called "hero's" scares the sh*t out of them the most. :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I think the FR layout is simple and easy to use.
It's obvious that lots of people like it, but it keeps me away.
I doubt that causes JimRob to lie awake at night.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
LittleClarkie  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-03-09 12:29 PM
14. Well, at least when we did it Skinner had the sense to delete the stuff
I don't get why it was hating America when we criticized Bush, but it's not hating America when they say this stuff about Obama.

Here's the difference, numbnuts:

We say, Obama, Congress and moonbats bad, the rest of America, overall pretty good.

You say, Bush bad, military bad, intelligence apparatus bad, American history bad, Founding Fathers bad, Capitalism bad, achievers bad, anyone who makes more money than you bad, Christianity bad, Christians bad, cops bad, the South bad, flyover country bad, all Republicans bad, guns and Second Amendment bad, traditional values bad, white people bad, individual responsibility bad, people who have children bad, protecting our borders bad, free speech bad, anyone who disagrees with you bad, people who hate us good, our enemies good, terrorists good, people traveling the world over proclaiming their shame over being American good. Are you getting it now?

There's nothing wrong with reasoned, honest criticism of the President or any other elected official. Making up shit though just for the sake of criticism, though, doesn't fly. You don't see us claiming the election was stolen or that Obama is part of some secret cabal or that he's snorting methamphetamine in the Oval Office or that Michelle is pregnant with Rahm Emanuel's love child or whatever the right wing equivalent of your drugged-out fantasies might be.

There was plenty of criticism of Bush by Republicans during his tenure. The Leftist meme that we were "nowhere to be found" is just bullshit. Likewise, we will criticize Obama when it's warranted. The difference is ours will be based on, you know, "evidence."
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
They do have a horrible layout.  I tried to join it, but just couldn't get past that.  It was headachy.  Why don't they do just a normal forum like we have? 

Free Republic. Proof that Republicans can't be hip.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:14 PM »
I see that the Thorazine drips must be dry on the Island today...It's the first of the month, maybe the meds haven't been passed around yet?

I did my part today to make sure they are stocked back up for another month.  :-)  They always run out "early"

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 05:41:52 AM »

FR and DU share a common problem - they are both based on horrible, outdated software. The only difference is DU periodically applies window dressing to theirs. I'm certain its because neither site wants to lose their history, so they both plod along.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:22 AM »
The problem isn't so much the software at FR but the amount of posts and people posting there that makes it hard to navigate.
DU on the other hand uses a format that is really irritating to try to follow until you get used to it and even then its still cumbersome. Then throw in all the nuked posts and some threads you have no idea what they are talking about.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
Can someone explain to me how the posts within a thread are numbered on DU?  When reading from top to bottom, they don't have sequential numbers.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
Can someone explain to me how the posts within a thread are numbered on DU?  When reading from top to bottom, they don't have sequential numbers.

The posts are numbered chronologically, from the first to the latest.

However, the posts can be attached to wherever the posting primitives wish to attach them, resulting in bonfires that burn like 1, 19, 2, 31, 4, 3. 11, 57, 29, and so on.

The primitives on Skins's island are not intelligent enough, nor courteous enough, to bother with guoting others, such as is done here and on freerepublic.  Primitives are lazy, selfish, inconsiderate, and ignorant people; they don't care about anybody but themselves.

And so when my fellow alum Skins, along with the DLC (Democrat Leadership Council), first set up Skins's island, they dealt with it by allowing the primitives to post their comments immediately following the post they would quote, if they were bright enough and considerate enough to quote it.

And thus the odd array of numbers, 2, 14, 27, 11, 5, 9, and so on, because the numbers are assigned in chronological order.

What this means is that it makes it easier for the primitives to lie, to hide things, because one watches a bonfire from top to bottom.

It's a lot of work, and so generally it's not worth it, given that one already knows DUmmies lie, all the time DUmmies lie, but if one takes a bonfire and arranges it into exact numerical order, one sees the awesome extent to which the primitives lie, or try to deceive, or play games.

apres moi, le deluge