Author Topic: Carroll woman's answer to highly visible Obama: Selling her televisions  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Carroll woman's answer to highly visible Obama: Selling her televisions

A 78-year-old Carroll woman says she's so tired of seeing President Barack Obama on the airwaves that she's selling her television sets - two of them.

Deloris Nissen, a retired nurses' aide and former Kmart employee who was raised on a farm near Audubon, placed a classified advertisement with The Daily Times Herald for Friday's paper.

In the $5.50 ad, Nissen tells readers she has two television sets for sale.

The reason: "Obama on every channel and station."

In an interview Nissen said she is serious about selling two TVs - and genuine about her disgust with what she believes to be an overexposed president.

"I just got tired of watching him on every channel," Nissen said. "I thought, my gosh, does he ever stay at the White House?"

Heh
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Hmmmm.

That's the same reason I never look at recent editions of Time magazine.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
I wouldn't mind pictures of him.....working at his desk in the....*gasp*.....White House!

I would love to know how much money has been spent in the last six months on Obama's travel. :censored:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Hmmmm.

That's the same reason I never look at recent editions of Time magazine.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Same reason those of my generations spent hours hours  reading National Geographic that were 20 years old looking for pictures of necked men and woman.

Some where between the pictures of bare asses people of the world we read the story line and became educated in their life style and learned to read for pleasure.

Lots of kids learned to read because the content included necked folks.

If one gives a youngster that cannot learn to read, those jokes in Play Boy, it opened the door for them.

Guess I am a realist that knows that people learn, children and adults when they need to turn the page, see what is next.  If the new page makes them laugh or cry, then the fact that written words has manipulated your emotions and the words have control of you.

Offline thundley4

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Blah, blah blah, blah ,blah

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Same reason those of my generations spent hours hours  reading National Geographic that were 20 years old looking for pictures of necked men and woman.

Some where between the pictures of bare asses people of the world we read the story line and became educated in their life style and learned to read for pleasure.

Lots of kids learned to read because the content included necked folks.

If one gives a youngster that cannot learn to read, those jokes in Play Boy, it opened the door for them.

Guess I am a realist that knows that people learn, children and adults when they need to turn the page, see what is next.  If the new page makes them laugh or cry, then the fact that written words has manipulated your emotions and the words have control of you.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!

BTW, NC no longer issues WTF plates... they figured out what it meant.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
BTW, NC no longer issues WTF plates... they figured out what it meant.

Ok, so how did you learn to read for pleasure,  this is a skill that millions never learn.

Drives me nuts the people that are well educated that seldom read for pleasure. 

Reading and understanding text books is one thing, some people have no time to read for fun yet they sit glued to the Movie Chanel in off time.

Has to be something that causes people to for go imagination and learning something different from what they know.

So some of us have no need to do anything but to live in the world as it is---follow orders  as we know nothing different.

Then there are the people that were inspired by Ray Bradberry, Issac Asimov and  Lousis La Moor,  then much to my embarrassment there are the true storeys that have kept me out of trouble for years, the tails about real people that may come into ones lives and cause mayham.

Reading outside your field or interests have helped me to avoid sneaky landlords, investment schemes and being taken in by  the pyramid schemes.

Anyone read about a Cardiac Surgeon that was taken for his life's savings by that  on line email that tells one they have inherited million in Nigeria.?

How did you get curious about what was on the next page, have you ever what I call falling into a book to the point you either carried it to the bathroom to pee .?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Ok, so how did you learn to read for pleasure,  this is a skill that millions never learn.

Reading and understanding text books is one thing, some people have no time to read for fun yet they sit glued to the Movie Chanel in off time.

Has to be something that causes people to for go imagination and learning something different from what they know.

So some of us have no need to do anything but to live in the world as it is---follow orders  as we know nothing different.

Then there are the people that were inspired by Ray Bradberry, Issac Asimov and  Lousis La Moor,  then much to my embarrassment there are the true storeys that have kept me out of trouble for years, the tails about real people that may come into ones lives and cause mayham.

Reading outside your field or interests have helped me to avoid sneaky landlords, investment schemes and being taken in by  the pyramid schemes.

Anyone read about a Cardiac Surgeon that was taken for his life's savings by that  on line email that tells one they have inherited million in Nigeria.?

How did you get curious about what was on the next page, have you ever what I call falling into a book to the point you either carried it to the bathroom to pee .?

When I was a child...during the summertime...in order to go out and play, I had to read for an hour in the morning. My earliest memory of this "requirement" was summer between 2nd and 3rd grade. Trips to the library to get books, soon as they were done, my mother took me back for more.

When I was real little, when I went to bed, my mother would read to me. My favorite book was "The World of Pooh"....I don't know how many times my mother reread that book to me.....

By 3rd grade....I had to be in bed 15 minutes before "lights out" to read. It's difficult for me to fall asleep without reading.

Reading became such a habit that I always have a book around. It's not unusual for me to throw one in the car if I'm meeting someone, so that I can read it if I have to wait.

My kids...almost 28 and 30....even though I read to them when they were little....were not "readers". But neither is their father...and he did not encourage it. (he's a surgeon) However, my daughter started reading for enjoyment when she was in college...because her friends would read something and talk about it and she had nothing to contribute to the conversation. My son started reading when he was on 6mo deployments on a carrier and boredom set in.

I also think it has become more "in" to read...probably has something to do with the economy. People are looking for cheap entertainment....reading a book can take up hours!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion

I'm guessing they never met you
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline djones520

Re: Carroll woman's answer to highly visible Obama: Selling her televisions
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 12:23:38 AM »
I wouldn't mind pictures of him.....working at his desk in the....*gasp*.....White House!

I would love to know how much money has been spent in the last six months on Obama's travel. :censored:

He's got more trips planned....  We're already ramping up for them.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »
I'm guessing they never met you

If one follows the news on The achievements of tests by town and city schools in your state, this is discouraging.

Some times in the 1970's a book was written tittled " Why Johnny Can't Read"

We have known for 30 years that there is a problem, so what has been done about it.?

To be politically incorrect here--About that time teachers and schools began to look for an excuse on why their kids could not read.   Not their fault, had to be something wrong with the kid.

So these children that are products of non-english speaking family---Nothing different there from the early 1900's and Europeans came by the car load, their children learned to read write in English.   They were bilingual and very proud of their children.

So say you are a 14 year old teenager. Summer reading is Bleak House --Charles Dickens
-
Or, " Vampire Island' by Joe Doe.

You have your cell phone, WII, the Movie Chanel, go carts to ride, partys to go to, hanging our with your possie.

Comes a night when cable an comuniter goes out, bord you need to decide how to skim either of these books enough to write a book report.

Bleak house was not written for young teens.    Vampire Island  was.

What book Bleak House or Vampire Island would you have taken the time to read.?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:31:54 AM »
If one follows the news on The achievements of tests by town and city schools in your state, this is discouraging.

We have known for 30 years that there is a problem, so what has been done about it.?

To be politically incorrect here--About that time teachers and schools began to look for an excuse on why their kids could not read.   Not their fault, had to be something wrong with the kid.

So these children that are products of non-english speaking family---Nothing different there from the early 1900's and Europeans came by the car load, their children learned to read write in English.   They were bilingual and very proud of their children.

So say you are a 14 year old teenager. Summer reading is Bleak House --Charles Dickens
-
Or, " Vampire Island' by Joe Doe.

You have your cell phone, WII, the Movie Chanel, go carts to ride, partys to go to, hanging our with your possie.

Comes a night when cable an comuniter goes out, bord you need to decide how to skim either of these books enough to write a book report.

Bleak house was not written for young teens.    Vampire Island  was.

What book Bleak House or Vampire Island would you have taken the time to read.?

If I liked vampire stories ....I would have read Vampire Island....Dickens' books were required reading when I was in school....

I think it is important to encourage a child to read...whether it be Alice in Wonderland...or Berenstein Bears. If you can get a child to discover the world inside of a book...they will go on to read more and more and more.

I would spend a couple of weeks every summer with my mother's mother in a small town in central Illinois. My mother took me to the library the first day of each trip, told the librarian I could read anything I wanted as long as the librarian approved. By the time I was in 6th grade, I had read all the kids books that I wanted to, and moved on to "adult" books. Probably read some books that weren't age appropriate....but I was rarely bored.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »

Again, WTF? Would you like to 'splain what your posts have to do with the topic?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

The same thing liberals do for everything, give more power to the unions involved and throw billions of dollars away.