Author Topic: Smart Phones  (Read 6164 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Smart Phones
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
What kind do you have...which do you think is the best and which one would you get if $$$ wasn't an option.

Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

I've got a BB Pearl 8100.  Bought it used off of eBay last year.  I love it.  At one point I wanted an iPhone but the longer I use this Pearl the more I don't want to give it up.

The only thing that I think would make it perfect was if they came out with a Pearl model that was capable of 3G.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Smart Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:48:34 AM »
CrackBerry 8330 - love it.  Usually super fast and pretty easy to use once you get past the quirks.  Several friends have the Storm and they don't really like the touch screen so I'm waiting for the next iteration of that phone to come out.

I'd go iPhone if $ didn't matter AND it was on the Verizon network.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
I have an Iphone, and I love it!  Music and phone in one, with pretty decent internet access.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
What kind do you have...which do you think is the best and which one would you get if $$$ wasn't an option.

Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

I've got a BB Pearl 8100.  Bought it used off of eBay last year.  I love it.  At one point I wanted an iPhone but the longer I use this Pearl the more I don't want to give it up.

The only thing that I think would make it perfect was if they came out with a Pearl model that was capable of 3G.
I have an LG Voyager....I like it and hate it at the same time! It is Verizons answer to the Iphone but it seems to have some issues with the software on the phone! Damn thing shuts off on me for no reason whatsoever sometimes in the middle of a call but
I do like the querty keyboard it has though..also the screen on the inside is not bad for watching movies! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
CrackBerry 8330 - love it.  Usually super fast and pretty easy to use once you get past the quirks.  Several friends have the Storm and they don't really like the touch screen so I'm waiting for the next iteration of that phone to come out.

One of my soldiers had the Storm and took it back and ended up getting the Curve.  She said she just couldn't get used to the Storm's touch screen.

I'd go iPhone if $ didn't matter AND it was on the Verizon network.

I read an article the other day in MacWorld that Apple may be trying to find an out from their ATT contract to go with Verizon, who by the way, turned down Apple the first time to be their exclusive carrier for the iPhone.

I do now from talking to Mac Reps and a couple folks that work at the Genius Bar that Apple quietly approves of people using the unlocked iPhones that have had the "jail break" software used on them.

Like in my situation...if I chose to I could buy one off of eBay...put my T-Mobile sim card in it and away I go.

I like the iPhone...but just haven't seen anything in it that makes it rise that much above the smart phone I have now to ditch it and buy an iPhone.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Sure, the more Mac users the better for them, even if it starts with a phone.

I looked at unlocked phones but its a lot of money to put into something with limited support.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
iPhone. All others bow to the iPhone.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »

Then it should be renamed the oPhone.   :rimshot:
nine eleven is a car

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
Sure, the more Mac users the better for them, even if it starts with a phone.

I looked at unlocked phones but its a lot of money to put into something with limited support.

Just out of curiosity...what kind of limited support?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
Then it should be renamed the oPhone.   :rimshot:

Nah he's a BlackBerry kind of guy.  He hasn't quite figured out yet how to work an iPhone

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity...what kind of limited support?

My concern rests in the belief, right or wrong, that if I where to have some type of phone problem - or need a battery replacement - that it might not be covered do to unfulfilled contractual obligations.  Maybe you'd get full support from Apple, but if I needed something from Verizon I think I'd be on my own.
nine eleven is a car

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »
My concern rests in the belief, right or wrong, that if I where to have some type of phone problem - or need a battery replacement - that it might not be covered do to unfulfilled contractual obligations.  Maybe you'd get full support from Apple, but if I needed something from Verizon I think I'd be on my own.

Oh ok I see what you mean.  Yeah I think you're right.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »
I have an Iphone, and I love it!  Music and phone in one, with pretty decent internet access.

:cheersmate: To both posts above, they speak the truth.

I like the iPhone...but just haven't seen anything in it that makes it rise that much above the smart phone I have now to ditch it and buy an iPhone.

Browse the App store for awhile, you're be bewildered with how many apps are out there which bring ease, productivity, and just plain smiles to your daily life. 

While there are some features, that make a Blackberry better suited for certain business functions.  Overall, I haven't seen anything come close to the usability and capabilities of an iPhone.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »
I went with an EnV2 by LG about a year ago. I opted to stay away from the touch screens by now, as even the first EnV2 that I had ended up with stress cracks in the display as I am hard on phones. They get dropped, kept in my pants pocket, or even sometimes a little moisture...I also have music and bluetooth headphones, I found it easier to go on walks when it's with music.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
Treo 755....this is my 2nd one, first one had "issues"....this one can't access my email.  :censored: I had a BB for 5 days and hated it, switched it for the Treo, while it's easier to use, it does most of what I need ....except access the email.

Verizon is supposed to get iPhones next year....if I can hold out that long, I will wait, otherwise, I have looked at the Storm...

The other half has the enV2...but he doesn't use it for anything except phone and voice mail. I'm going to be helping him with an auction in a few weeks and hooking my laptop into it....sucker better work like it's supposed to.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »

Verizon is supposed to get iPhones next year....if I can hold out that long, I will wait, otherwise, I have looked at the Storm...

The Storm 2 should be coming out soon with the touch screen tweeked. I'll get that when/ if it is enough of an improvement over the current storm which several friends have and don't love.

nine eleven is a car

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
My son has a BB Storm. He loved it at first, then had some issues that turned out to be the particular phone itself which thankfully was under warranty still so they replaced it. Now he has no problems with it. He likes it ok, but says he doesn't think he'll get another one when he upgrades.

I myself am a Motorola loyalist from way back in their 2-way radio days (yes I am that old). And Motorola is just coming out with their version of the Iphone clone - here is a link. I have a Razor V9 now, and am about due an upgrade, so will go with this one probably if I do a smarter phone - the CLIQ. It has a new technology they are calling MotoBlur. It's the first "social networking" phone (as if we needed one) and will allow you to make a post on your phone that automatically goes on your Facebook, Twitter, MySpace pages etc, simultaneously, all at the same time by entering only once. Here is more info on this:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/MOTOBLUR/Meet-MOTOBLUR
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:35:34 AM by Kay »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
My BB is the best thing in the world
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
My BB is the best thing in the world

Agree 100%  I switched from the 8100 to the 8220 Pearl Flip.  Tried to get my wife to use my old one but she missed having a full keyboard.  So I got her an Android G1 phone for her b-day and she's become as big of a phone geek as I am now.

The only problem I've had since I went to the Flip is that the Google Mobile app doesn't want to work.

*shrugs*  I'll just wait until the next version and see if it works.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »
My wife and I just went to the iPhone. I wonder now how I lived without it. Internet is pretty good, apps are teriffic.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 04:40:54 PM »
I'm just glad they have TMobile in Germany...I didn't want to have to give up my BB

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:36 AM »
I'm just glad they have TMobile in Germany...I didn't want to have to give up my BB

TMobile was started in Germany under Dutche Telecom and when I was there in the late 90's phones were dirt cheap I had a new phone every 6 months. Only one problem when I was there is having to buy a prepaid card to load minutes on it. Most of us had what was called a call back service which did not use your minutes on your phone you simply dialed a 1-800 number in the states let it ring once and they would call your phone back with a dial tone and it allowed you to call a number there in the states. It was a hell of alot cheaper than paying for phone services there. I don't know if Dutche Telecom is still the same way but when we were there even calling my friend across the street I got charged a bunch of money. Picking up the phone they would charge you. Try outprocessing with a 1500 ($750) phone bill is not easy LOL.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:22 AM »
Agree 100%  I switched from the 8100 to the 8220 Pearl Flip.  Tried to get my wife to use my old one but she missed having a full keyboard.  So I got her an Android G1 phone for her b-day and she's become as big of a phone geek as I am now.

The only problem I've had since I went to the Flip is that the Google Mobile app doesn't want to work.

*shrugs*  I'll just wait until the next version and see if it works.

When I swiched from one BB to another one I was having the same problem you just have to call TMobile and have them register your IMEI number they also ask for your pin and it is on the box let me know if it works. Good luck