Author Topic: Corporate Polluters Helped Write the Obama Administration Climate Bill  (Read 587 times)

Offline thundley4

Orwellian_Ghost (1000+ posts)             Fri Jun-26-09 12:46 PM
Original message
Corporate Polluters Helped Write the Obama Administration Climate Bill   

Take Action: Tell Congress It Must Do Better

Waxman-Markey Supporters

Congress is poised to squander a historic opportunity to move closer to a clean energy future. The energy and climate bill moving through the U.S. House is based on a proposal from a group that includes Shell Oil, the coal-burning utility Duke Energy, and other corporate polluters.1 These firms — as well as Wall Street traders who call the bill’s carbon markets a "huge playground" where "bucks be made"2 — are backing the bill.

This should be a red flag for progressives.

There's a simple reason polluting and irresponsible corporations support the Waxman-Markey bill: It showers them with hundreds of billions of dollars, but doesn't require them to reduce pollution fast enough to avoid devastating climate change impacts.3 Worse, the bill guts the EPA’s preexisting authority to use the Clean Air Act to reduce this pollution.4 That means the bill is actually counterproductive — enacting it into law would be a step backward. What we need from Congress is much stronger legislation that puts us on a path to the clean energy future President Obama talked about during his campaign.

An energy bill written by corporate polluters is not a solution. Please join us in fighting for change — use the form below to send a message to your representative today and demand a better bill.

http://action.foe.org/t/8815/p/dia/action/public/?actio...

Friends of the Earth president Brent Blackwelder said, “Corporate polluters including Shell and Duke Energy helped write this bill, and the result is that we’re left with legislation that fails to come anywhere close to solving the climate crisis.”
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5932232
FiveGoodMen   (1000+ posts)             Fri Jun-26-09 01:27 PM
Response to Reply #2
4. I'm getting this OVERWHELMING sense of deja vu!

Are we really sure there was a change of power on Jan 20?
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

jgraz   (1000+ posts)             Fri Jun-26-09 01:36 PM
Response to Reply #4
7. Careful. Drawing comparisons to Bush is against DU canon

You must now post 7 threads professing your desire to bear Obama's love child.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

FiveGoodMen   (1000+ posts)             Fri Jun-26-09 01:54 PM
Response to Reply #7
8. Yeah, but drawing comparisons to Bush SHOULD be impossible.

And instead, it's inevitable.

(I'll get right on those 7 threads, though  )

Dayum, even when the votes go the way the DimRats want, the DUmmies are still unhappy.  :-)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Dayum, even when the votes go the way the DimRats want, the DUmmies are still unhappy.  :-)

That's what makes the primitives so much fun to watch.

Rectal apertures getting it up their rectal apertures.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
That's what makes the primitives so much fun to watch.

Rectal apertures getting it up their rectal apertures.

Heh, heh. I love how you cuss without using four letter words Coach.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Even supporters of this admit it will raise the cost of energy to an average household by a roughly a 100.00/yr.
Multiply that by at least 3 I am guessing to be more accurate.

There you go all you dumb**** assholes that last November said that since they don`t make 250,000.00/yr O will be better for them. :banghead:

Offline Karin

Has anybody here, while lurking about the webz, ever found anyone who made a coherent argument in favor of the Crap&Tax?  I haven't, R or D.  The most tepid argument for, was just an uninformed Obamabot who made no sense.  However, the amount of people absolutely up in arms outraged are soooo numerous.  What are the congressclowns thinking?  All I can think of is backdoor schemes to line pockets.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
It's all about control, plain and simple.  If the Obots can control who uses electricity, they can control . . . the media, who uses it in stupid large amounts, and the sheeple, who need it to get the Pronouncements from The Obamessiah.  They can control every aspect of life by "rationing" out the electricity.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.