Author Topic: White Sands, NM  (Read 671 times)

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
White Sands, NM
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
Anyone from there?
DH is looking at orders out there. The odd thing is that he a Navy Corpsman stationed with a SWCC unit. The Navy must have some sort of secret squirrel stuff going on out there. LOL
Anyway can anyone tell me about living out there? I am pretty much and east coast girl so I know that this is going to be a bit of a culture shock for me. DH has been stationed at 29 Palms before so desert living is kind of old hat for him but this is new to me.

What are the schools (high schools and colleges), housing and job markets like out there?

Oh he is also looking at San Antonio.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:07:20 PM by AprilRazz »
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Re: White Sands, NM
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
Did a 90 day deployment there. After seeing the Trinity site, not much else to do.

Sent a year in San Antonio, and loved it, but then I was young and single. I'd go to San Antonio.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
If he's at the missile range, I go there all the time.  You would live in Las Cruces NM, about 18 miles west of WSMR. It is about 52% Mexican 48% White.  There are some great areas to live, and some that you would be killed in under a minute.  Culturally, there is not much.  The university gets some concerts and such, but that's about it.

Cost of living (housing) is surprisingly high for what you get in Las Cruces.  Politically, it's as moonbat as any Kalifornia town.  The best thing going for it is that they have great Mexican food and the best chili and pecans in the world.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
From what I understand El Paso is not to far away. We are looking to buy and it will be DH, myself and my 16 year old son. Actually we would not mind being in the boonies a bit. If Las Cruces is a liberal as you say BadCat then I think I would take living in the middle of the desert over city life. I grew up in DC so I have had enough of liberals to last me a lifetime. I remember not so fondly of the welcome home party and election for Marion Barry. LOL
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
If he's at the missile range, I go there all the time.  You would live in Las Cruces NM, about 18 miles west of WSMR. It is about 52% Mexican 48% White.  There are some great areas to live, and some that you would be killed in under a minute.  Culturally, there is not much.  The university gets some concerts and such, but that's about it.

Cost of living (housing) is surprisingly high for what you get in Las Cruces.  Politically, it's as moonbat as any Kalifornia town.  The best thing going for it is that they have great Mexican food and the best chili and pecans in the world.

I love both chili & pecans. Yummy.