Author Topic: Did An Iraqi Soldier Kill US Troops for Kicking a Pregnant Woman?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2617175

marmar  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-07-08 09:04 AM
Original message
Did An Iraqi Soldier Kill US Troops for Kicking a Pregnant Woman? 
 Edited on Mon Jan-07-08 09:08 AM by marmar
from AlterNet's PEEK:

Did An Iraqi Soldier Kill US Troops for Kicking a Pregnant Woman?

Posted by Siun , Firedoglake at 9:32 PM on January 6, 2008.

"His blood rose and he asked the occupying soldiers to stop beating the woman. Their answer: 'We will do what we want.' So he opened fire."

Yesterday there were a flurry of reports about an Iraqi soldier shooting and killing two US soldiers during a joint mission. Reported as the first time this has happened, the reports in the American press may tell only half the story.

The rather startled reports repeated assertions that the attack was for "reasons unknown." Iraqi reports say the US soldiers were kicking a pregnant Iraqi woman when shot. Here's what we've been able to learn so far.

On December 26, two American soldiers were killed during a "joint Iraqi-U.S. patrol undertaking security duty in al-Haramat area, western Mosul."

The Multinational Force press office initially reported these deaths on December 28:

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died Dec. 26 in Mosul, Iraq, of wounds suffered from small arms fire during dismounted combat operations.

Yesterday the MNF changed the story, releasing a new statement:

Two US Soldiers killed during a combined Iraqi Army and CF operation in Ninewah province on Dec. 26, were allegedly shot by an Iraqi Soldier.

For reasons that are as yet unknown, at least one Iraqi Army Soldier allegedly opened fire ... The incident occurred as US and Iraqi Army Soldiers were conducting operations to establish a combat outpost. Three other US Soldiers and one civilian interpreter were wounded in the attack.

The Iraqi Soldier who allegedly opened fire fled the scene but was identified by other Iraqi Army personnel and was then apprehended. Two Iraqi Army Soldiers are More...now being held in connection with the incident.

Coalition and Iraqi investigations into the incident are underway.

The AP reported on the new version - but did not mention that the MNF had previously given a very different account and repeats Green Zone government claims that:

Initial results from an Iraqi investigation indicate that the soldier who opened fire may have links to local militants, said Brig. Mutaa Habib Jassim al-Khazrachi, commander of the Iraqi army's 2nd Division, who did not elaborate.

They leave out the part of the story which is capturing attention in Iraq.

Aswat Al Iraq provided the initial lead that there was more that was not being reported here:

The U.S. side denied that this Iraqi soldier opened fire at U.S. servicemen because they sexually harassed an Iraqi girl,, affirming that the scene where the incident took place was void of any civilians. (emph added)

Thanks to help from Dubhaltach of GorillasGuides who has looked at the Arabic media for us, we have the following additional information from several sources including Yagen and Al Akhbar (Lebanon):

The reports are that during searching the woman's house the Americans assaulted her and when she was on the ground started to kick. The soldier who is named Caesar Saadi Al-Jibouri asked them to stop beating her and when via interpreter they refused saying that could do as they wished he went to one of the patrol vehicles and opened fire. (via email)
......(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/72895 /

ck4829 (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-07-08 09:33 AM
Response to Reply #3
5. Yep, there might have been some perfectly good reason why they were doing that
 Kicking an Iraqi woman on the ground who they already shot, right?

I, too, will wait for more information. But, if it turns out that the Iraqi soldier saved her life from the soldiers, then it will only be one more abuse in a long line of abuses, too many to just say "Oh, it's only some bad apples who are doing it."

Echo In Light (844 posts)      Mon Jan-07-08 11:43 AM
Response to Reply #5
17. The problem is, when somebody knows one of the "bad apples," they don't see them as such
 Seriously, when I've gotten into this debate with anyone, the only ones who get defensive about castigating the role of a military occupation are those who have family/friends enlisted. From there the equation is simple to determine. They're in denial that the system intentionally produces "bad apples."

Marrah_G  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-07-08 12:21 PM
Response to Reply #29
32. Why would you?
 Why would you automatically believe papers from people who hate us ( often with good reason)and join in the spitting on the memory of a couple dead soldiers with no other basis then that provided 3rd and 4th hand via the internet?

How would you feel if that was your son, father, brother, friend who was being talked about like that without any sort of proof.

Echo In Light (844 posts)      Mon Jan-07-08 09:11 AM
Response to Original message
2. Just one of a long list of reasons I don't mindlessly "support" the "heroes." Ugh
If you ever have a national disaster in your area that leaves you without effective law enforcement please be sure to say this to the Troops who will be keeping order in your area.  I am certain that they would step aside since you hate them so much and leave you to deal with looters with your patchouli oil and wind chimes.

Echo In Light (844 posts)      Mon Jan-07-08 11:28 AM
Response to Reply #4
14. Yet we do know that between sanctions in the 90s, and now with the occupation, the death toll...
 Of Iraqis is astounding. God bless America? Don't count on it. God forgive America is much closer to the point...

Echo In Light (844 posts)      Mon Jan-07-08 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #15
16. Especially ones who join the service as a vehicle to enable acting on their pathology
 ...not to mention the ****ed up brainwashing they receive once they've enlisted: KILL! KILL! KILL!

Jesus saves...

But don't question their patriotism!!!!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Did An Iraqi Soldier Kill US Troops for Kicking a Pregnant Woman?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »
I read that thread and Marrah_G said just about everything I would have said, minus a bunch of damn expletives.  :censored:

Those idiots are quick on the trigger when it comes to trashing our military.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »
Let me get this straight...this is a story from DU, lifted from a blog, with inconsistencies about what the soldiers did that provoked an Iraqi soldier, that may have connections to militants, to shoot them?

:bird:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »
This is a typical libtarded tactic. They go looking under rocks for things like this in order to justify their hatred (in this case, their hatred of the troops). When they can't quite find what they're looking for, they resort to smoke and mirrors.

You're right... :bird:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
Let me get this straight...this is a story from DU, lifted from a blog, with inconsistencies about what the soldiers did that provoked an Iraqi soldier, that may have connections to militants, to shoot them?

:bird:

When dealing with the DUmp remember you are dealing with folks who have a political ideology based on false intentions, dishonesty, phoniness, foolery, and anti-Americanism  They are constantly looking for validation.  Truth doesn't matter.  Having something to point at matters.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »
Jack, have you met DU? DU, Jack, Jack, DU....
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »
No, I don't think I've ever been there. If I have it was probably something you linked to.
I have enough trouble staying out of trouble without looking for people to piss me off.

That article just strikes me as crazy as hell. Seeing to much of that would end up having me on top of a water tower or something.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
Three words: The New Republic. I'm SO skeptical of any media reports nowadays.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle