Author Topic: Governor Palin's Big Energy Battles  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Governor Palin's Big Energy Battles
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »
Pipe Dreams

Forget “Drill, baby, drill.” Sarah Palin says she’s building a $40 billion gas pipeline, which even President Obama wants. The only problem: It isn’t there. And it’s her fault.

by Joe McGinnis April 2009 Issue

For more than 30 years, a natural-gas pipeline had been the great white whale of Alaskan resource development. Tens of millions of dollars had been spent in the quest for it. The names of collapsed consortiums and failed legislative initiatives littered the tundra like the bleached horns of long-dead caribou. Then, last summer, Sarah Palin said she had harpooned the whale.

“I fought to bring about the largest private-sector infrastructure project in North American history,” Palin said at the Republican convention. “And when that deal was struck, we began a nearly $40 billion natural-gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence.”

During the vice-presidential debate, she said it again: “We’re building a nearly $40 billion natural-gas pipeline, which is North America’s largest and most expensive infrastructure project ever.”

And to Katie Couric, she said, “We should have started 10 years ago,  but better late than never.”

To many outside of Alaska, it may therefore come as a surprise to learn that not only does such a pipeline not exist, but—even as Alaska’s deep winter darkness gives way to the first light of spring—the prospect that it will be built within Sarah Palin’s lifetime grows dimmer by the day.

Barack Obama wants the pipeline. It says so right on the White House website, in the section about energy and the environment: prioritize the construction of the Alaska natural gas pipeline. But Obama might not realize that one of the biggest obstacles in its path—all Palin’s rhetoric notwithstanding—is the woman who wants to take the presidency from him in 2012, Governor Sarah “Drill, Baby, Drill” Palin.

-snip-

Long article, but it's interesting.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: Governor Palin's Big Energy Battles
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »

Long article, but it's interesting.

No I would call that BIASED
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
I found it kind of meandering.  After the first page I still had no idea what the story was about, other than bashing Palin.  If you have a point, make it, preferably in the first paragraph.  The only people your going to string along for five pages are liberals.  It's like that old joke How to keep a moron occupied (turn over) and then on the other side it says the exact same thing.

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »

While I skimmed over the obvious Palin bashing, I did find the details of the pipeline (the two competing projects, and honestly I thought it was already getting built) interesting.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »
While I skimmed over the obvious Palin bashing, I did find the details of the pipeline (the two competing projects, and honestly I thought it was already getting built) interesting.

It was 4.5 pages of Palin bashing
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »

The author not only has an agenda but does not know one damn thing about the oil and gas industry. When you drill a well, you not only get oil but gas. I have 2 oil royalty checks coming every quarter that says so. In AK, the gas is being pumped back into the ground for no good reason. The rationale for not selling the gas is ludicrous. 

Point #2 Palin threatened to take EXXON's leases away because the company had not drilled on them within the contractual time limit. Big oil is pissed at her for that plus she raised taxes on them and send a check to all citizens of AK. What a novel idea that a left wing idiot would hate. Giving back instead of raising taxes.

Point #3 Which this dummy did not even mention because of all the bashing of Palin is that there are Env. concerns and some of the natives are against the pipeline. Building a sh!t house in this country take forever with all the studies, permits, etc, etc.

Point#4 Dimwit stated that a pipline would be built to Lousiana. We have so much natural gas flowing from the Gulf of M. to other parts of the US, we do not need any gas from AK. Idiot. Plus, a huge natural gas field has just been found in north LA.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:07:33 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
The author not only has an agenda but does not know one damn thing about the oil and gas industry. When you drill a well, you not only get oil but gas. I have 2 oil royalty checks coming every quarter that says so. In AK, the gas is being pumped back into the ground for no good reason. The rationale for not selling the gas is ludicrous. 

Point #2 Palin threatened to take EXXON's leases away because the company had not drilled on them within the contractual time limit. Big oil is pissed at her for that plus she raised taxes on them and send a check to all citizens of AK. What a novel idea that a left wing idiot would hate. Giving back instead of raising taxes.

Point #3 Which this dummy did not even mention because of all the bashing of Palin is that there are Env. concerns and some of the natives are against the pipeline. Building a sh!t house in this country take forever with all the studies, permits, etc, etc.

Point#4 Dimwit stated that a pipline would be built to Lousiana. We have so much natural gas flowing from the Gulf of M. to other parts of the US, we do not need any gas from AK. Idiot. Plus, a huge natural gas field has just been found in north LA.

Thank you for your post.  H5. 
Stink Eye

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
Building a sh!t house in this country take forever with all the studies, permits, etc, etc.

As an Amish farmer found out today when he was sentenced to 90 days in jail for his outhouses being out of compliance.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me