Author Topic: White House Misspells Brazilian Leader’s Name,Bumps Visit With Obama to Saturday  (Read 1201 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Rio de Janeiro (AP) - His meet-and-greet with the U.S. president was bumped to Saturday, and when the White House announced his official visit, they misspelled his name.

But when Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva becomes the first Latin American leader to sit down with President Barack Obama this weekend, he brings undisputed clout.

Silva runs the world's fifth-most-populous nation and ninth-largest economy and has close ties with leaders across the political spectrum. He's been asked to lobby Obama for free trade on behalf of conservatives in Colombia and for dropping the U.S. embargo against communist Cuba. Even Hugo Chavez has asked Silva to carry an olive branch to the new administration.

"I'm going to ask that the U.S. take a different view of Latin America," Silva said before leaving for Washington. "We're a democratic, peaceful continent, and the U.S. has to look at the region in a productive, developmental way, and not just think about drug trafficking or organized crime."

In fact, it's what Silva won't bring that shows how the global financial crisis has changed the geopolitical order.

"He will not have his hat in his hand or an outstretched palm saying 'I need money,'" said David Fleischer, a University of Brasilia political scientist. "But he will 'have his heels on' -- a Brazilian way of saying he is in the favorable position."

Brazil has become a major U.S. trading partner, with cautious economic policies that have helped it weather the crisis better than almost all other major economies. With huge new offshore oil finds and abundant ethanol, Brazil could be key to helping wean the U.S. off Venezuelan crude and shift to cleaner energies.

Still, the White House made several moves interpreted as snubs by the Brazilian media. ...

link

I'm sure da Silva is looking forward to his selection of DVDs.  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
He won't have his hat in his hand but he's certainly asking for a hand out. Trust me.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline The Ocean

• Celluloid Freak
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • I'm a film fanatic
And BUSH was disrespectful to world leaders?!

Obama lets the phones ring and blows them off all the time, but it's BUSH that ruins our prestige? Gimme a freakin' break.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Celluloid-Freaks

Subscribe for FREE on iTunes! Search "Celluloid Freaks"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I have to say I still think the Bush joke about the "Three Brazilians Killed" headline was pretty damned funny.

:lmao:

This little faux pas does make it appear that all the snark from the Dems was a bit premature, though.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Watch.

He's going to hand him a Menudo CD set and then wonder why the guy is pissed. :-)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Watch.

He's going to hand him a Menudo CD set and then wonder why the guy is pissed. :-)

I dunno.  I kinda figured 'O' would ask the guy for a wax job.      :uhsure:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Watch.

OMG. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. It wouldn't have been pretty!  :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.