Author Topic: Franks fellow alumn is tired of the um, excesses in GD-P  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Franks fellow alumn is tired of the um, excesses in GD-P
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4501796

Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:24 PM
Original message
Poll question: We're thinking of instituting a daily maximum number of threads anyone can post in GD: Primaries. 
 Edited on Sat Feb-09-08 02:28 PM by Skinner
In an effort to cut down on some of the, um, excesses here in the General Discussion: Primaries forum, the admins are considering instituting a limit on the number of threads that any participant may post in this forum in any 24 hour period.

We believe that this approach would be both fair and easy to enforce. It is our belief that the vast majority of members do not actually start that many threads. And in particular, members who tend to be productive and non-inflammatory participants on our website likely start the fewest threads, because such threads require the most thought and effort to produce. Posting two dozen threads of thoughtful analysis is a lot harder than posting two dozen threads of inflammatory one-liners.

So, here is your poll question:

What is maximum number of threads that a person should be permitted to post in the General Discussion: Primaries forum in a single 24-hour period?

Put another way:

What is the maximum number of threads that a productive, non-inflammatory participant in the General Discussion: Primaries forum would want or need to post in the General Discussion: Primaries forum in a single day?

To be clear: The maximum would be for new discussion threads only -- replies would continue to be unlimited.

Choose the answer that is closest to your opinion. If you oppose this idea entirely, then you should vote for the last option "Unlimited threads."

Note: We will judge the results of the poll based on the distribution of responses. In other words, the answer which has 50% of respondents below and 50% of respondents above will be considered to be the consensus choice. We are not going to simply choose the single option that gets the most votes. For the record, this is a non-binding poll of DU member opinion, and the DU admins are not committing ourselves to the result.

Please kick and recommend this thread so more DUers can see it. This poll will remain open until midday tomorrow, Sunday, February 10.
Poll result (413 votes) 
1 thread  (17 votes, 4%) Vote
3 threads  (170 votes, 41%) Vote
5 threads  (161 votes, 39%) Vote
10 threads  (45 votes, 11%) Vote
20 threads  (2 votes, 0%) Vote
Unlimited threads  (18 votes, 4%) Vote

:lmao:

bigtree  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:25 PM
Response to Original message
1. I vote 10
 based on my own hunger to post, and limiting myself below what I crave.

bigtree  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:35 PM
Response to Reply #23
50. five isn't bad at all
 Edited on Sat Feb-09-08 02:36 PM by bigtree
I like the challenge!

Oh, and, I'm a total political fool

Funny when the truth comes out  :rotf:

Whisp (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-09-08 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #15
86. 5 sounds fair, but...
 there will be trading/bartering batoning between certain tight groups to hand off continuing the same disscussion in a new thread just to give certain impressions of 'popularity' or supporting the latest meme from camp headquarters.

but maybe not.

it's a good idea to do this tho, things can be tweaked later on.

JustABozoOnThisBus  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-09-08 02:32 PM
Response to Original message
30. Limits could have consequences
 Such as venom spilling into the other forums, GD, Lounge, LBN, etc.

I voted for 5 (pulled a number out of thin air). But I'm starting to thing that a limit is a bad thing. Let one forum contain the bile.

Regards.

Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:34 PM
Response to Reply #32
42. We'll keep an eye out. 
 We have a few tricks up our sleeve to help with sniffing them out.

I wonder what tricks they have......

havocmom  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #51
175. Problem with quantity of posts is trolls work the lounge to rack up a count
 'I just got here from planet X, ask me anything...' then they respond to every poster. A couple sessions of that and the post count is up. And yes, I know lots of good DUers do those posts just to be friendly and have fun, but fact is, lots of trolls started that way too as higher post counts seems to lend some (ofen unwarrented) credibility.

My daughter has few posts listed, but she has been around a while and is a very dedicated independent liberal. People who have been here less and done less still give her hell if she disagrees with them, and they site her low post count as evidence that she is a troll. That sort of shit tends to turn off a lot of good people who just don't post much.

Might be good to actually consider post count WITH a bit of time which would slow that puppet shit up a little bit. Time AND post count gives people a bit more to go on for judging people.

FWIW

Intresting...........

Hekate  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:55 PM
Response to Reply #42
116. Like finding people who keep repeating right wing memes with great enthusiasm? I'd so love for them
 ...to be located and Deleted with great rapidity.

Not to mention -->Griefers, concern trolls, posters who spread gloom and despair like some cosmic Eeyore -- begone with you! Maybe that's too much to hope for but couldn't DUers at least be more alert to this stuff when it happens? I've seen some posters who profess to be sooooo depressed about our prospects, and by the time other posters have tried in vain to cheer such a person up, the thread has been hijacked and everyone is practically suicidal.

Hekate

I guess hekate wishes to chat with themself then.

mike_c  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:44 PM
Original message
three-- and it's reasonable to wait and post them at the end of the day...
 ...when posters have had time to think and to frame their arguments-- and to decide whether they actually have any real point to argue at all. The viciousness in GD: P seems mostly the result of a rather limited number of posters ripping off their comments without any real consideration beyond scoring points of some sort, the grown up equivalent of screaming "You SUCK!" at one another. Hell, three of those a day is too many IMO.

Shut the hell up the texas Radio bug boy

Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:53 PM
Response to Reply #98
113. At this point I am not going to rule out the possibility... 
 ... of giving waivers to specific people with a history of productive participation.

:lmao:

It's a large campfire
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Franks fellow alumn is tired of the um, excesses in GD-P
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
Hekate  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-09-08 02:55 PM
Response to Reply #42
116. Like finding people who keep repeating right wing memes with great enthusiasm? I'd so love for them
 ...to be located and Deleted with great rapidity.

Not to mention -->Griefers, concern trolls, posters who spread gloom and despair like some cosmic Eeyore -- begone with you! Maybe that's too much to hope for but couldn't DUers at least be more alert to this stuff when it happens? I've seen some posters who profess to be sooooo depressed about our prospects, and by the time other posters have tried in vain to cheer such a person up, the thread has been hijacked and everyone is practically suicidal.

Hekate

That would end the place,it is all they have.  :rotf: :rotf:

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
cosmic Eeyore    :rotf: :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Maybe $kipper $kinflute could sell the DUmmies some postin' credits so their over all posting footprint will be smaller.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »
I wonder if the DUmmies realize the verbal bitch slap that $kimmer just gave them.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
I wonder if the DUmmies realize the verbal bitch slap that $kimmer just gave them.

My fellow alum Skins is too subtle at times.

With the half-brained primitives, sometimes one has to bring out the lash, rather than just words, to whip the primitives into halfway decent and civilized conduct.

Reason works only with decent and civilized people, never with primitives.

What I find interesting in the Freudian sense about my fellow alum is that deep down, he's a control freak, probably because he grew up around control freaks who subdued him.  It's obvious Skins was never his own man, even as a little lad.

Skins really really really really really wants to run things, but when given the power to do so--as as in the case of his own island--he hesitates.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »

translation : "How much should I inhibit your ability to post political thoughts on an internet political message board".

freaking ridiculous.  GD-P is a total fever pit right now, but this "solution" is worse than the original problem.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

I gotta make a sigline outta that..maybe even with an eeyore photoshop :lmao:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
Anybody have any idea why this ancient thread is "printworthy"?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »

Spiders sir.....spiders

Because Caballo Loco started it.........................naw

Don't know

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »

That's what I was thinkin'. We need to rehash this why? C'mon, Feb?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
I'm picturing some poor dot-matrix printer with reams of perforated paper spilling out of it. :p

"Quieting" dot matrix printers used to be an industry all on it's own.  I remember seeing these elaborate cabinets to put your printer in.  They never really worked.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »

I expect she's more like a Cosmic Eyesore.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm picturing some poor dot-matrix printer with reams of perforated paper spilling out of it. :p

"Quieting" dot matrix printers used to be an industry all on it's own.  I remember seeing these elaborate cabinets to put your printer in.  They never really worked.

We use those for shakers running between 5Hz and 10kHz.......................they help

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »

I wasn't aware of that, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly.

Printers can run without the assistance of a human agency?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
I wasn't aware of that, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly.

Printers can run without the assistance of a human agency?

Sometimes a printer can run when there is a networked computer with a virus.  About a year ago someone at work had a virus that caused one of the printers to spew page after page of random letters. The company hadn't updated their anti-virus in several years.  :hammer: