Author Topic: Why Obama’s left leaning is no tactical feint  (Read 867 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Why Obama’s left leaning is no tactical feint
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »
If they "get it" across the pond, is our media too stupid . . . Yes.  Next question.

Why Obama’s left leaning is no tactical feint

By Clive Crook

Published: March 8 2009 18:18 | Last updated: March 8 2009 18:18

On this page last week I argued that Barack Obama’s first budget showed him to be more of a left-leaning liberal than I and many others – sceptics and admirers alike – had previously supposed. People I respect have accused me of going off the deep end about this, or of neglecting Mr Obama’s tactical finesse, or both.

Mr Obama is calling for little that he did not promise in the campaign, I am reminded, so he cannot be accused of springing a surprise. I welcome many of the budget’s main elements, notably healthcare reform and the cap-and-trade system for carbon emissions, and the president made it clear all along that he wished to reverse the Bush tax cuts for the high paid. So the revelation that Mr Obama is a progressive liberal must arise from the proposal to curb high earners’ income-tax deductions. That was a surprise, but a small matter: hence the charge that I am getting carried away.

Alternatively, I am told, Mr Obama is playing a shrewder game. Like any good negotiator, he has adopted a maximalist opening position. He expects to be walked back from it, ending up where he wanted to be in the first place, with a more centrist plan than the one he pitched.

On the first point, the tax-deduction proposal is not so small. Instead of applying the highest marginal rates of tax to each deduction, the plan would apply a 28 per cent rate. This is equivalent to a tax increase of roughly $35bn (€28bn, £25bn) a year on households earning more than $250,000. Hardly chicken feed, it is roughly half of the amount raised by returning high earners’ marginal rates to their pre-Bush levels.

Not everybody would regard two-earner households with an income of $250,000 a year as rich; and many of the taxpayers in question have seen their retirement savings, college funds and housing equity destroyed. The scandal of widening inequality that still animates the Democrats’ thinking is a story about the top fraction of one per cent of the income distribution, not the top end of the middle class. Also, it is out of date: as though the housing and stock market meltdowns had never happened, the budget raises taxes on the “rich” to where they were before the Bush administration – and then some.

The only "change" that some who voted for the Obamessiah are going to have will be the dimes, nickels and pennies in their pockets.

Link:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/328430d0-0c0c-11de-b87d-0000779fd2ac.html

Remember the four cruelest words in the English language:

I told you so.

Get ready to say them to a lot of people.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

Re: Why Obama’s left leaning is no tactical feint
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:07 AM »
Alternatively, I am told, Mr Obama is playing a shrewder game. Like any good negotiator, he has adopted a maximalist opening position. He expects to be walked back from it, ending up where he wanted to be in the first place, with a more centrist plan than the one he pitched.

This is BS, 0Bama is proposing his far left ideas, and he knows that Pelosi/Reid will take his ideas and run even farther left them.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Why Obama’s left leaning is no tactical feint
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
This is BS, 0Bama is proposing his far left ideas, and he knows that Pelosi/Reid will take his ideas and run even farther left them.

Yep, Executive branch politicians, especially new Presidents, don't take up just 'an initial negotiating position' for their first venture into announcing policy, it sets the tone that they have no do-or-die positions and also that nothing they say need be taken at face value. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.