Author Topic: Unions and Democrats Place Pressure on Gov. Culver of Iowa  (Read 1229 times)

Offline NateRiver

• Probationary (Probie)
Unions and Democrats Place Pressure on Gov. Culver of Iowa
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »
http://workerfreedom.org/unions-democrats-place-pressure-gov-culver-a3605

The Democrat controlled Iowa House and Senate leaders are working with the teachers unions to push a forced bargaining bill that will place control of Iowa school boards in the hands of the union special interests.
This would take away authority from the elected school board.

Offline Gratiot

Re: Unions and Democrats Place Pressure on Gov. Culver of Iowa
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:11:58 AM »
http://workerfreedom.org/unions-democrats-place-pressure-gov-culver-a3605

The Democrat controlled Iowa House and Senate leaders are working with the teachers unions to push a forced bargaining bill that will place control of Iowa school boards in the hands of the union special interests.
This would take away authority from the elected school board.

From that article alone, I'm not really seeing that.  It seems that primarily they're just trying to open work environment issues, for discussion at the bargaining table.  I don't know why that presents a problem.

Currently in the items which can be discussed in the scope of forced union bargaining are: wages, vacations, holidays, seniority, transfer procedures, job classifications, procedures for staff reduction, and in-service training.

However, those in the Iowa legislature want to add more items that you have already opposed, to this list. Items that wish to be added are: work-shift schedules, insurance carriers, leaves of absence, shift differentials, overtime compensation, supplemental pay, health or safety matters, evaluation procedures, preparation time, class size, work uniforms and staffing levels and retirement systems.

Regardless though, the Alliance for Workers Freedom is a bit disingenuous, with their corporate sponsorship and actual motives.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
Iowa Code Chapter 279 amendments
allow an employee to receive both sick leave and workers compensation payments concurrently;
prohibit the use of hearsay evidence as the basis for termination (reverses the recent Iowa Supreme Court coach contract termination case, Ames Community School District Case v. Cullinan, Feb. 29, 2008) ;
eliminate the board hearing in teacher termination cases and replace it with a meeting between the board and the teacher; eliminate the appeal from the adjudicator to district court;
eliminate the probationary period for all teachers;
allow a beginning teacher, as defined in the Teacher Quality Act, to appeal a termination to an adjudicator;
allow a beginning teacher to appeal to an adjudicator a decision by the district that he/she has failed the Iowa teaching standards.
Iowa Association of School Boards

These are further amendments included in the bill.  I see a big problem with 3 of them.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
From that article alone, I'm not really seeing that.  It seems that primarily they're just trying to open work environment issues, for discussion at the bargaining table.  I don't know why that presents a problem.

Currently in the items which can be discussed in the scope of forced union bargaining are: wages, vacations, holidays, seniority, transfer procedures, job classifications, procedures for staff reduction, and in-service training.

However, those in the Iowa legislature want to add more items that you have already opposed, to this list. Items that wish to be added are: work-shift schedules, insurance carriers, leaves of absence, shift differentials, overtime compensation, supplemental pay, health or safety matters, evaluation procedures, preparation time, class size, work uniforms and staffing levels and retirement systems.

Regardless though, the Alliance for Workers Freedom is a bit disingenuous, with their corporate sponsorship and actual motives.

Forced bargaining to me means something different, one State where we've lived had a bizarre law that basically applied an automatic raise formula based on CPI (possibly also seniority but I don't recall) if the Board and the teachers' local couldn't come to terms, which basically gave the union no need to bargain at all but dig in its heels for ever-higher salaries and benefits, since the law put a rising floor under their pay anyway.

That said, this proposal seems to take away every management function and make it completely subject to bargaining, which is insane.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
Forced bargaining to me means something different, one State where we've lived had a bizarre law that basically applied an automatic raise formula based on CPI

That said, this proposal seems to take away every management function and make it completely subject to bargaining, which is insane.

That is a bizarre law, which undoubtedly becomes problematic.   :(

I don't thank it is actually taking away the management functions, but trying to streamline and make them contractual issues for reliable consistency.  Yes, that does open them up for negotiation.  Which I'm not entirely sure is a bad things, as they are work place environment issues. 

Just curious, not trying to argue, but why do you believe it's insanity to bargain work place environment issues?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
You are probably reading it a lot more narrowly than I am, but when union proposals go through everything management does to include how employees are evaluated as primary bargaining issues (With the possible exception of how the Board is allowed to sign correspondence), rather than impact & implementation bargaining of management rights, it appears to me from my labor law experience that the union is basically asking for a a seat on the board and a veto on everything except the actual budget that comes up in the life of the contract, though of course even the budget itself would be heavily driven by their demands on everything else. 

The "Just work environment" issues would already be subject to management's obligation to conduct 'impact and implementation' bargaining for exercise of its functions or 'Management rights' (The classic example is an employee successfully grieving a wall clock being moved as "Change in working conditions" when management didn't properly notify the union first in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement).  Having all these as material for primary bargaining would functionally put the union on the Board and give it a veto, rather than merely a voice and an opportunity to make counterproposals or mitigate as matters arose.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:52:07 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.