Author Topic: President’s Inner Circle (including Obama) Has Earmarks in Omnibus  (Read 989 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

*cough*cough*hypocrite*cough*cough*

the earmark doesn't bother me.  what bothers me is that they redacted the bill to remove his name with no more hesitation than they removed unpopular policy positions (or positions that he inadvertently contradicted in debates, and then turned into doctrine) from his website during the campaign.

candidates you can cut some slack.  you are allowed to expect more from presidents.

President’s Inner Circle Has Earmarks in Omnibus

Funny how items show up in spending bills without any notice — like an earmark for a president who promised not to seek any.

President Obama, who took a no-earmark pledge on the campaign trail, is listed as one of dozens of cosponsors of a $7.7 million set-aside in the fiscal 2009 omnibus spending bill passed by the House on Wednesday.

But not for long.

On Thursday, Rob Blumenthal, a spokesman for the Senate Appropriations Committee said the one earmark in the bill that carries Obama’s name will be edited. The committee will attribute that earmark to other senators on the list of that provision’s supporters, but not Obama.

No changes are expected to the earmarks requested by other lawmakers who ended up in top jobs in the Obama administration months after they sought set-asides for special projects in the bills that became the omnibus (HR 1105).

The catchall bill is an accumulation of leftovers from 2008 — spending measures that weren’t enacted before the 110th Congress expired. It’s moving through Congress now because a temporary extension of funds to run the government will run out after March 6.

Obama’s name jumped out on a list of many earmark cosponsors because he and his staff have been so emphatic about his no-earmark stance.

“I think you can take one sign of the president’s seriousness on this that there aren’t any from him that I know of in that omnibus largely because there weren’t any that were requested last year,” White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Wednesday.

The $7.7 million earmark — for Tribally Controlled Postsecondary Vocational Institutions — is cosponsored by a long list of other members of both chambers. The program appeared in Senate report language last year but its sponsors were not identified at that time.

More

Offline thundley4

Re: President’s Inner Circle (including Obama) Has Earmarks in Omnibus
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
On Thursday, Rob Blumenthal, a spokesman for the Senate Appropriations Committee said the one earmark in the bill that carries Obama’s name will be edited

Another 0Bama revision of history coming soon. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: President’s Inner Circle (including Obama) Has Earmarks in Omnibus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
On Thursday, Rob Blumenthal, a spokesman for the Senate Appropriations Committee said the one earmark in the bill that carries Obama’s name will be edited

Another 0Bama revision of history coming soon. 

"history is whatever I write on a piece of paper", sayeth the Obamessiah. :uhsure: :-)