Author Topic: Hello cowards (Atty. Gen. Holder Calls U.S. a ‘Nation of Cowards’)  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing awkward racial issues.

In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," said Holder, nation's first black attorney general.

Race issues continue to be a topic of political discussion, Holder said, but "we, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race."

He urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for honest discussion of racial matters, including issues of health care, education, and economic disparities.

Link

Oh, well hell, I wonder why? Is it because if someone happens to say something critical of another, they're promptly labeled as a racist and their lives are ruined. 

***edited by WE: thread title clarification***
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:57:30 PM by Wretched Excess »
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Sweet Dee

Re: Hello cowards
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Link

Oh, well hell, I wonder why? Is it because if someone happens to say something critical of another, they're promptly labeled as a racist and their lives are ruined. 

Yep.

I don't get it.
Is it important for a black person to talk about being black?

Apparently so!  lol 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »
Why the hell should race be a PRIORITY subject for discussion?

Is the whole f'ing planet hating Opwah gonna cause her to go out and re-register as a caucasian?

Is every "disaffected" black man defending Dear Leader gonna make His Holiness any less a mulatto?

Is all of the world's envy gonna make me one dram less Scottish, or make them one dram more?

What's the f'ing point, Mr. Attorney General?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »
Heck I want to know why Black Americans after finally getting out from under a Master go right to a new Master called Uncle Sam.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »
People avoid subjects that are socially awkward for the same reason they walk around piles of dog crap instead of stomping on them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
People avoid subjects that are socially awkward for the same reason they walk around piles of dog crap instead of stomping on them.

cuz no matter how hard you try, you can't get it off your shoes?  :lmao:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »
Black people are constantly reminding the world that they are not equal to the white people.

If they spent half as much time not thinking about being black, complaining about inequality, and pointing out to everyone else that they ARE black.....they might realize that they themselves are the ones making a big deal about "blackness"....not the white folk.

When I look at a person....the color of their skin is not the first thing I notice or even think about.

I will admit that the first thing I notice may be their behavior or their appearance....

but it is never....."hey, I'm lookin' at a black person...."
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
Black people are constantly reminding the world that they are not equal to the white people.

If they spent half as much time not thinking about being black, complaining about inequality, and pointing out to everyone else that they ARE black.....they might realize that they themselves are the ones making a big deal about "blackness"....not the white folk.

When I look at a person....the color of their skin is not the first thing I notice or even think about.

I will admit that the first thing I notice may be their behavior or their appearance....

but it is never....."hey, I'm lookin' at a black person...."

You are a friggin' genius.  Hit that nail on the head woman!!  lol   :thumbs:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
cuz no matter how hard you try, you can't get it off your shoes?  :lmao:

There is a certain small percentage of the population, generally about 8 years old and male (or college-age, drunk and male), that will do it simply in order to spatter everything in the area with dog crap....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:03:18 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »
****ing racist dumbass moron
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

WTF? I work with mostly whites and I don't associate with them outside of work. Does that mean I hate white people? 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
Many of the blacks I knew and worked with, had no issues with making sure you KNEW they were black (they diden't). I was/is a NON ISSUE. As a matter of fact we gave eachother "shit" about the truths of each race. Black guys: love Church's Chicken, watermelon (sorry boyz-n-girlz), and used the "N" word at times (shoulda seen the white guys faces the first time THAT happened  :lmao:).
White guys: can't dance, look like fools trying to be "inner city", and coulden't do "slang" if we tried (stupid wiggers  :loser:).
Basically, we laughed at ourselves, our differences and got along just fine. I made some great friends who, if I could have, I would liked to have tracked down just to see how they are doing.

This whole business is nothing more than keeping a "fire" going for the likes of Jesse Jackson.  :bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
Our next door neighbors on one side are black. On the other side, the husband is basic white, his wife is Chinese.

Both houses are half again larger than ours.

We don't "hang out" with either one...nor do we really know anything about them except to wave at as we go by....I'm not sure that I would recognize any of them if I ran into them somewhere. There's probably close to an acre between our houses.

We've lived here for 5 years. We have friends outside of our neighborhood.

Within days of moving in here....one of the kids in the subdivision came and knocked on the door, he had something the previous owner had ordered from him. Told him she no longer lived here. So his mother comes and knocks on the door and wants to know who I am, and all the "details"....then she asks me what my husband does. I said we weren't married. You would have thought I said he was Charles Manson!

We moved in the first of December. The homeowner's association bill made it to us with no problem. The invitation to the subdivision Christmas party never arrived.

The next year....I got a phone call from the HOA president wondering if we would hold the Christmas party at our house.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

No f'n way!!!

Now you know why I really have no interest in my neighbors.

When David Keith (the actor-his wife is Asian) moved into the subdivision.....a party was held to welcome them. ::)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
admin note :  I added the bloomberg headline to the title of this thread for clarity.  it's a big story;  it should get more traffic

Offline Tess Anderson

There he goes race-baiting again . . . tell me, Mr. Holder, how much courage did it take to storm that house to seize Elian and take him back to your Uncle Fidel?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
wait a minute.  I thought that The Obamessiah "fixed" the race issue last year when he delivered his epic "Speech On Race" during the Rev. Wright controversy.  you remember that, right?  according to the MSM, it was the most important speech since The Sermon on the Mount.

maybe he meant to say that we were cowards until about 8 months ago. :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Why does it seem like race has become an even bigger topic since Obama has been elected than prior to him running for president?

It seems like it's a constant "in your face" topic....or is it just because it's February and Black History Month and it along with MLK's birthday coincided with the presidential inauguration of a black president?

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
admin note :  I added the bloomberg headline to the title of this thread for clarity.  it's a big story;  it should get more traffic

Cool, thanks.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
wait a minute.  I thought that The Obamessiah "fixed" the race issue last year when he delivered his epic "Speech On Race" during the Rev. Wright controversy.  you remember that, right?  according to the MSM, it was the most important speech since The Sermon on the Mount.

maybe he meant to say that we were cowards until about 8 months ago. :-)

That's just what they want you think.

Deep down all whites are nothing but racist, wannabe slave owners who get their jollies lynching blacks or burning crosses.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Link

***edited by WE: thread title clarification***

a nation of whining cowards??

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 07:36:38 PM »
I don't get it.
Is it important for a black person to talk about being black?

Black guy: "Hey I'm black"
Me: "So I see.
A friend and I played a variant of this at work:

Co-Worker: I'm black. [not an exact quote but the back story is long]
Me: What?
CW: I'm black.
Me: Since when?
CW: My whole life.
Me: WTF? When were you planning on telling me?
CW: I'm sorry, it must have slipped my mind.
Me: @#$% You think you know a guy.

We had a good laugh, mostly at the expense of the mystified on-lookers.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline MarshallLaw

You racist.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

It's also a helluva lot less inflammatory than the old title.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Where the hell is "White History Month" since we are the ones to actually build the country?

Don't get me wrong, Blacks have definitely contributed to this great country, but lets be real! If it weren't for the White population, which includes English, Irish, German, Swiss, French, Russian, etc...,there would not be a country!

After all, I see how gret the country's in africa are doing with all Black populations!

Where the hell is OUR month?!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
It's also a helluva lot less inflammatory than the old title.  :cheersmate:

Ah, man... I was going for inflammatory.  :fuelfire: :-)